PDA

View Full Version : Been washing and double conditioning... Thoughts?

goldloli
February 13th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Pretty much summed up in the title. I'm at my longest ever length of butt dimple length and have had to switch around routine to adjust to new problems.

~I have to limit leave in use since its a magnet for lint and builds up too quickly now.
~Even without buildup, my ends get dehydrated, crunchy and crumbly after only 1 day post washing.
~Needing extra slip to control tangles.
~I've been trying to overcome porosity with use of protein, which doesn't exactly help with the dryness.
~I like to use all kinds of coneless shampoo, it stops greasies, hairfall, lankness, dullness, scalp acne and brassy orange tones in my red hair.
~Co and cwc were epic fails, cwc wasnt bad but left my hair overmoisturised some times and lank/dull other times.

After experimenting I've established a routine that I think will be my staple for hydration and porosity control. Shampoo and rinse as normal, squeeze excess water. Then I use a moisturising dish with light protein in it such as bedhead oatmeal and honey or pureology hydrate, these proteins are wheat or silk types usually. Sometimes I mix up some kpak reconstructor (keratin) into a regular dish. Leave this on for 10 mins while I do other bathing things, then rinse. I take a half dilute moisturising conefree dish with lots of slip and apply to lengths and ends, raking it through the sopping wet hair which doubles as fingercombing time. Then I rinse well with cold water.

For the first time in a long time my hair can be managed with finger combing only post shower. It's also staying taking longer to feel rough throughout the day, I'd go so far as to say my hair feels soft. It's neither greasy nor over moisturised, stretchy, lank etc etc. That second co is giving all the benefits of a leave in without the cons. Even though I'm using 2 conditioners I'm using less of each one than previously.

Just checking if there's are any possible negatives overlooked and also do you think it would work with a protein free co for the first one? Granted the whole point of this was to find a way to integrate protein and moisture in a war against porosity, I'm just wondering if double moisture cos would be too much?

akilina
February 14th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Im sorry, its sort of late and I have had a verrry long day. So, uh hopefully my reading comprehension is on spot :p

I usually always condition twice...Some days I feel like I simply need it. After I have rinsed, my hair just doesn't feel good and slippy so I just go at it again. I will still even follow it with a coney leave in. My hair is only a few inches past APL though.

I see no issues....see how your hair likes it, and if it doesn't work then move onto a different experiment. Its all you really can do.

goldloli
February 14th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Hey, yeah i totally wrote that at 6am!

This double conditioning seems to be perfect and the few posts on a bunch of boards I've looked on seem to love it too, but they are equally as hesitant that something might go wrong. I guess because it's an uncommon method, well anyway I shall continue and see what comes of this.... I must say I'm enjoying softness for a change, my hair always looks good but rarely feels soft.

Carolyn
February 14th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I don't think double conditioning hurts anything. I do it sometimes. I would suggest that you watch out for protein overload if you are using a protein conditioner every wash. When I get protein overload my hair will get a lot of white dots and "hinged" splits a few inches up from the ends. Cutting back on the protein usage always stops it.

starlamelissa
February 14th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I am considering adding a little no cone suave ocean breeze to my fail proof kick butt routine, cuz I have some to use up. I am considering double conditioning.

lapushka
February 14th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Double conditioning after shampooing is something we've *always* done here, so no, there's nothing negative I can say about it. It's awesome. Just make sure to clarify regularly (which we do over here every time)!

goldloli
February 15th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Oh hey, people replied to my thread. I'm relieved to know this is a 'kosher' method. I actually think I will stick with it. As for the protein thing, yeah they are light protein containing conditioners and that will wash away after only a few washes, esp since i use sls 2x per week. I'm only using the protein so it can hold onto moisture for longer, if i straight apply heavy moisture it's overmoist for about 10 hours then goes back to its natural porous dry frizzy straw. I'm pretty observant of my hair so no chance of overdoing protein or buildup.

LakeofGlass
February 15th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Honestly, the best method is whatever you find works best for you. Very few people have the same type of hair and overall "makeup" as another. We all do something a little different. What people do on these forums is what they feel is proper haircare. So as far as "kosher" is concerned, don't worry about it. There are tips and tricks that promote healthy hair, but in the end it's all cosmetic.

But since you mentioned things you want to achieve, I know there are methods that many use, though most lean towards organic, non-silicone ways of haircare. I'll tell you what I do.

As of right now I'm using cheap, V05 shampoo. Yes, it does strip hair. I did choose one that has vitamins. But I combat the terrible stripping it does on hair moisture by constantly using EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). I don't just dump a bunch in my hair. You mentioned attracting lint, and it's because you do need to keep a certain pH balance in your hair. Clarifying methods help, such as watering down apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse. I also don't use too much shampoo. I believe Torrin Page mentioned in a video that she only uses a small amount in her palm and only shampoos the scalp, then lets the rest just trickle down her hair. Essentially it's our scalps that we wash. The length is usually protected with the buns and braids we do.

When I do wash my hair, I usually get a small amount of EVOO in my palm, add a bit of water to help spread it, then lightly run my hands over my hair length. I never worry about greasy hair because the dampness of my hair helps. The excess evaporates as my hair absorbs the oil. I don't use any commercial conditioner as a result. Very night I add the same amount of oil in my hair. Every morning I comb from the bottom-up, and use a boar bristle brush to remove any lint, and spread the oil and sebum throughout my hair. Sebum is good, but too much is bad. It usually means your scalp is over-compensating. If you choose a boar bristle brush, make sure it's real boar hair. The others are fake and can damage your hair. If you don't want boar hair, you can look up other soft bristle brushes. The key is to have something soft. If you've seen vanity sets with the small mirror, the soft brush was made for what I'm talking about.

Some things I do in the winter is use an egg, honey, and EVOO hair mask. Oddly enough I have used the same on my face. If I'm doing the hair mask, I'll use the yoke on my hair, and save the whites for my face. This is one of the few times I allow myself to lather more, because there will be remnants of egg left in otherwise.

If you can afford it, I do suggest getting organic shampoo bars. Many here have used Chagrin Valley, but there are other brands you can look up too; I just don't remember them right now. I used to live a state away from the company, so I've always had fast shipping with them. But as I've said, this is what I've done. Others have some great tips too. You're allowed to pick your own methods. The goal is to find what works best for your hair and body. But make sure you do eat healthy. It affects your hair too. A healthy body does make for healthy hair. I've considered taking up juicing raw fruits and veggies because of the overall benefits. Learning what works best for us is just part of the long-hair journey. :)