PDA

View Full Version : Tried egg-white curl experiment!!!

nikkidondon
February 13th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I tried the egg-white curl experiment yesterday and I must say I am pretty impressed with the results! I am naturally curly but since the introduction of henna kind of waved out recently so I figured I'd try the egg-white experiment on my curly hair to try and bring it back to life! For all those who don't know egg whites make for extremely curly hair! The steps I took were as follows...

1. I took two egg whites-no yolks! In a bowl and left them outside the shower while I washed
2. Once I was done showering I flipped my wet head over( sopping wet head I might add) and brought the egg white-filled bowl in with me
3. I scrunched the egg whites into my head-being careful to not get any on my roots for fear of greasiness
4. Diffused the curls on low heat
5. Beautiful curls!

While I may add that the curls were the scrunchy kind not the soft kind that I tend to gravitate toward, the made for a nice change from my normal air-dried soft curl and made me feel good that I wasn't scrunching with alcohol based gels or anything of that sort.

p.s. At first they curls were a little much for me (a little too crunchy) but over the next few hours they softened up a bit.

Hope you guys try it! Any questions let me know!;)

spirals
February 13th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'm really wary of salmonella, so I wonder if the results are similar to using flax gel, since they are both protein-rich. I seem to get really nice, fat curls from flax. The consistency of flax gel and egg white are similar.

nikkidondon
February 13th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I'm really wary of salmonella, so I wonder if the results are similar to using flax gel, since they are both protein-rich. I seem to get really nice, fat curls from flax. The consistency of flax gel and egg white are similar.

Haha I kind of put that thought out of my mind but it is possible! Do your curls become crunchy with flax gel? Cause that's what happened with the egg-whites but they still were very defined!

chen bao jun
February 13th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Flax seed gel does not make my hair crunchy--my curls felt very soft when I used it--after they dried. It was gross feeling while wet, however--you have to put in enormous amounts, much more than you think. I air dried.
Flaxseed gel and egg white are so similar that you can actually switch flaxseed gel for eggs when baking. I forget the ratio--but you put some flax seeds in water and when it 'gels' you just put in into your recipe in place of egg. Great for allergic people and I suppose for vegetarians too. the exact ratio should be online somewhere--maybe at livingwithout.com (which has gluten free, lactose free and and information for people who don't just have allergies but MAJORLY) have allergies--or who choose to severely limit what they eat for other reasons.

spirals
February 13th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I can get a bit of crunch, but I just scrunch it out with my hands. I use it diluted in my spray bottle, so it's not too bad. Recipe here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110611

silverthread
February 14th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hey, nikkidondon; did you notice any egg odor as the day wore on? Also, did you whip the egg whites at all before applying?

nikkidondon
February 14th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Hey, nikkidondon; did you notice any egg odor as the day wore on? Also, did you whip the egg whites at all before applying?

Hey silverthread! No I didn't notice any odor at all I actually went two days without washing afterwards haha. I actually saw that some people had said that they had noticed some dandruff like flakes if they had dark hair but my hair is very dark and I maybe noticed one or two flakes after the second day I had them in. The curls also stayed well defined the next day though I got a tiny bit itchy towards the end of the day. And nope I did not whip the egg whites before applying but I heard that some do that to make it more like a mousse texture. It worked fine for me though as a liquid!:)

nikkidondon
February 14th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Flax seed gel does not make my hair crunchy--my curls felt very soft when I used it--after they dried. It was gross feeling while wet, however--you have to put in enormous amounts, much more than you think. I air dried.
Flaxseed gel and egg white are so similar that you can actually switch flaxseed gel for eggs when baking. I forget the ratio--but you put some flax seeds in water and when it 'gels' you just put in into your recipe in place of egg. Great for allergic people and I suppose for vegetarians too. the exact ratio should be online somewhere--maybe at livingwithout.com (which has gluten free, lactose free and and information for people who don't just have allergies but MAJORLY) have allergies--or who choose to severely limit what they eat for other reasons.

Okay thank you I'll have to try that :)

silverthread
February 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Both egg whites and flax seed sound promising. Time to stir up some more witch's brew:stirpot: (that's what my husband likes to call my hair concoctions).

Luminaria
February 15th, 2013, 02:46 AM
I always wanted to try this! It seems like a nice alternative to mousse. Is it easy to wash off with no poo (baking soda/ACV or indian herbs)?