PDA

View Full Version : My hair is green! Help!

JadeTigress
February 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I dyed my hair about a month or so ago with black Manic Panic over my unbleached dark brown virgin hair. I've never used this particular color before, but I've used other colors of this brand and never had any problems, even with the crazy colors. Well, the black didn't stay in my hair for longer than a week, the color started washing out right away. But even though the black is gone, my hair has a greenish cast now. And not like a pretty green; like a gross pond scum type thing. I've seen it for a long time, but thought because it's so slight that maybe it was just me seeing things. But I had lunch with my mom today, and she asked me why my hair had a green cast, so now I know it's not just me.

Does anyone have any ideas about why this happened? And, more importantly, how can I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

Calaelen
February 12th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Lots of black colouring dyes have green undertones, so it is likely the one you used had a green undertone that when saturated wasn't visible. You could try tomato juice, or if you really wanted to a red shade over top to neutralize the green tint. Other than that, all I can recommend is washing, because MP isn't a permanent colour it will eventually fade.

Naiadryade
February 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM
You could dye it with green Manic Panic to make it a prettier shade! :p

(I'm not trying to be cheeky... I just like green hair. :o )

door72067
February 12th, 2013, 08:27 PM
I've used green kool aid powder (unsweetened, a teaspoon or so in about 1/2 deep conditioner, left on for maybe 10 minutes then rinsed well) to tone brassy orange/red hair, so maybe the reverse, orange kool aid powder, will tone green hair?

Allychan
February 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Remember the colour wheel at school? Yellow (bleach) plus the Blue (in the black dye) = GREEN, so you really need to add some Red to neutralise the Green colour and stay away from blue based reds

Icialine
February 12th, 2013, 09:00 PM
From Manic Panic's site;
To remove Manic Panic® Hair Color:

Hot oil treatments, hairspray, alcohol based hair products, shampooing with harsh shampoos (clarifying, anti-dandruff, deep cleansing), Dawn dish soap, and exposure to water will result in gradual fading of your MANIC PANIC® Hair Color. Some of the darker colors take more time to fade than the lighter colors and can sometimes leave behind a slight tint.

Remember if the base of your hair was pre-lightened before applying Manic Panic® Hair Color Your result after the dye fades will be lightened hair. Bleaching is permanent..

**When all else fails, here is a trick that our very own Dyehard Gooby and her hair stylist use to remove that last bit of unwanted dye:

Last Resort Soap Cap

*Please read all instructions carefully before attempting:

Mix in a color bowl:

3 tbs Developer
2 tbs Lightener/bleach
2 tbs clarifying shampoo
2tbs conditioner for dry hair

1. Put a pair of coloring gloves on.
2. Apply mixture to wet hair stopping about 1 inch away from your roots.
3. Work quickly and begin kneading the mixture into your hair starting from the ends to your roots
4. Work mixture in to hair for 5-10 minutes
5. Rinse mixture out with warm water
6. Shampoo and deep condition

** Remember to check hair frequently; while a “Soap Cap” is diluted, a person’s hair is most fragile when wet and the processing time can vary from person to person. It’s always best to seek out a professional hair stylist for color removal**

But, I'd really try oil treatments first. They're pretty effective without being damaging.

Lyv
February 13th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I put manic panic in for the first time about about a month ago after my red dye faded to a blondish red (previously bleached) and after a few washes it turned dark pink lol. I ended up getting most of it out just by clarifying a few times and using hotter than usual water. Once I mixed conditioner and olive oil and left that on for about an hour and when I rinsed tons of the color came out so maybe try that?

ravenreed
February 13th, 2013, 01:45 AM
But the hair was unbleached. So apparently in this case, it was green-ish black over brown.

Remember the colour wheel at school? Yellow (bleach) plus the Blue (in the black dye) = GREEN, so you really need to add some Red to neutralise the Green colour and stay away from blue based reds

lapushka
February 13th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking parts of the dye faded, and other parts haven't faded yet. I'd wait for as long as it takes the dye to fully fade. Don't mess with it otherwise. Try washing more frequently, that's all.

JadeTigress
February 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just have been freaking out since it's been like a month with green hair. :p I haven't used harsh shampoo at all (Toadstool shampoo). Last night was my first sulfate wash in months. Maybe I'll stick with the sulfates for a bit and see if that helps. If not, I've got some red dye from last time left over, so maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks again! :D

jessa
February 14th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Ketchup Neutralizes Green Hair- Apply real ketchup to the hair. Work it in carefully with your fingers or a very wide toothed comb. Leave the ketchup on your hair for 20-30 minutes. Wash and rinse with cold water.

Depending on the amount of green this treatment may need to be done more than once.

akilina
February 14th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Im glad she said this. Orange will not neutralize green how you want it to. Red does. And like she also said, think of the color wheel. Red:Green Blue:Orange Yellow:Purple.

------------------------------------------

Try whatever you can...Vitamin C lightening might just do the trick and take out the unwanted tones. It will not lighten your hair a significant amount at all generally. Just watch it.
I would not use koolaid in my hair only because its a mess. I also say no to a shampoo bleach cap. It might lighten your actual hair color a little bit, which might make you prettty unhappy.

I like the ideas of hot oil treatments (they always made my henna come out), or clarifying. I don't like honey lightening, but perhaps it would do the trick of just getting that little bit out.

I think your best bet is oil treatments. It will be good for your hair, and you will be able to tell in the wash out if its rinsing out some of the color.