PDA

View Full Version : Hairstylist told me I would never be able to grow my hair to my hips...

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I recently told my hairstylist of my aspiration to have hair down to my hips. She at first looked disgusted and asked me "why" and then proceeded to ask me what would make me think I'd even be able to grow my hair that length. I told her I have fairly healthy hair habits, eating habits, and I used to have very long hair when I was little (every age up until 10 years old). She nodded and made a face and goes, "exactly. you were young. you will not be able to grow hair that length anymore." I am just confused by this. I'm currently 20 years old...what exactly is a terminal length and what factors go into determining how long I can grow my hair? Do most people have a terminal length at bsl? apl? She has absolutely made me so nervous that at some point I will never reach hip because I'm not a child anymore...

Any advice/comments would be appreciated !!!

silverthread
February 11th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Nikkidondon, don't ya know she has a crystal ball in the backroom?? Not! How dare she say those things. There are gads of long-haired beauties on this forum over 20 years of age. Just keep doing what you've been doing, then when you reach your goal, go back in and smack that hairdresser with your nice long braid.

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Nikkidondon, don't ya know she has a crystal ball in the backroom?? Not! How dare she say those things. There are gads of long-haired beauties on this forum over 20 years of age. Just keep doing what you've been doing, then when you reach your goal, go back in and smack that hairdresser with your nice long braid.

Hahahahaha oh my gosh this made me laugh...you're right I guess I shouldn't listen to this she's going to be sorry when I reach my goal!!
Thanks for the laugh:D

akilina
February 11th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hopefully this doesn't get turned into a hair dresser hate derail thread, but that is pretty absurd for ANYONE to say something like that to you! Hair dresser saying it or not.
Find a hair dresser that is supportive of you.

kidari
February 11th, 2013, 09:59 PM
She probably is someone who is always teasing, coloring, hairspraying, heat-styling, trying out new haircuts kind of person. Anyone like this would understand that for most people hair can never reach hip length with these habits. Unfortunately, for some people they think that their habits or what they know applies to everyone else. She ma ybe right but more than likely she's wrong about your hair, but there's no way to know for sure for her anyway to even say that was out of ignorance.

Kaelee
February 11th, 2013, 10:14 PM
You need to find a hairdresser that doesn't suck. :) They are out there. :agree:

Wildcat Diva
February 11th, 2013, 10:21 PM
All you have to do is look around here to see ladies and men who grow their hair very long. So it must be possible theoretically. Why even worry about what someone who doesn't understand long hair and is disgusted by long hair thinks?

dulce
February 11th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I was told that same thing by hairdressers because of my fine hair.In my 30's,I was tailbone length and at 61 am regrowing my hair and am 3 inches from BCL now.So try growing,they are not always right.

jeanniet
February 11th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Teehee...I didn't start growing my hair long until I was 51, and reached hip at 53. Before that, the longest I'd had it was at BSL and that was when I was a teenager. So using the same kind of logic, you could make the argument that I couldn't grow my hair past BSL as a teen because I was young, and had to get old(er) to get long hair! I think your hairdresser is being a little silly.

Syaoransbear
February 11th, 2013, 11:15 PM
It's odd she would say that, because children seem to have much finer and delicate hair than adults, and kids seem to be pretty rough on their hair. If anything it should be easier to grow it to hip now.

auburntressed
February 11th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Twenty is still awfully young, so the, "You were young then..." argument makes no sense whatsoever. Your body doesn't even start to break down until mid-twenties, and it is a long process that takes the rest of our lives!

Also, your hair will grow best when you are healthy and caring for it well. Those factors are way more important than age. I don't know too many children who care for their hair with the same kind of dedication that an adult would be capable of, so having had long hair as a child in spite of child antics seems like a good argument that you certainly CAN grow yours out.

ejking2
February 11th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Don't listen to that hairdresser. It sounds like she's trying to bully you into conforming, IMO. Seems as if she's either jealous or has some kind of deep-seated prejudice about long hair, judging by all the nasty faces she made. Don't worry, I am quite sure that you can reach hip!

Hair has a growth cycle with phases of growth, rest, and shed. Because it eventually sheds, a strand of hair does not have time to grow infinitely long, even if kept perfectly protected. That's terminal length. I have heard that the average terminal length is around classic. The factors that go into it are genetics, overall health, and gentle care/handling.

Rivanariko
February 11th, 2013, 11:36 PM
If your avatar is you at your current length, then we started "growing long hair" about at the same point. I was roughly BSL with a lot of damage from rough handling and I was 23. I'm about to turn 26 and am inching past classic and towards my thighs. I also have super fine and relatively thin hair and was told I could never grow it really long because of that. Find a new hair dresser who isn't disgusted by your goals and don't let people tell you what you can and can't do.

And really? You were young then? In what way is 20 too old for long hair???

Naiadryade
February 11th, 2013, 11:56 PM
I don't know whether to LOL or ugh. If I were you, I'd never go to her again. She doesn't want you to have long hair, so she's not going to help you get there. I agree that it sounds like she was bullying you... making you confused and doubtful! Mean girl! You can totally grow your hair long. You deserve a hairdresser who wants to help you reach your goal, and this lady doesn't deserve your money!

DancingQueen
February 12th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Well, I am 20 years old, and I will be growing to my hips, regardless of what others say. :) It might take a little longer, as the distance from your scalp to your hips are longer than when you were 10 years old, but it will still be possible. Don't put too much thought into that, the fact that she acted like she was disgusted tells you everything. ;)

henné
February 12th, 2013, 01:18 AM
And you actually considered what she said to be possibly true even for a split second? Just go and look around the forum and all the pics of folks with super long hair and you'll see that pretty much anyone can have very long hair - whether it's thick and coarse or thin and fine. The most important thing is to just step away from scissors and you'll be fine.

And don't go back there. She has some major attitude problems.

Natalia
February 12th, 2013, 01:21 AM
No offense intended but that is total BS im 23, in chronically poor health, mainly practice benign neglect, and have thin baby fine hair i got to classic. I trimmed back to TB in januarry to get rid of past dye damage causing a taper but im sure my healthy hair can get there and my goal is knee.

gossamer
February 12th, 2013, 02:04 AM
And you actually considered what she said to be possibly true even for a split second? Just go and look around the forum and all the pics of folks with super long hair and you'll see that pretty much anyone can have very long hair - whether it's thick and coarse or thin and fine. The most important thing is to just step away from scissors and you'll be fine.

And don't go back there. She has some major attitude problems.

Henné speaks words of wisdom! It's awfully rude of the hairdresser to have told you all those things that she cannot back up with fact. The thing is, you have hundreds of counter examples right here at LHC - and given a few years, will likely prove her wrong yourself!

At 20, my hair was almost classic length. At 21, I trimmed back to tail bone length and then let it grow from there - it's past my knees now!

Mesmerise
February 12th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Sorry but...she's an idiot :P Really!! I see no reason why you couldn't achieve that goal! Yes there are some people who have a shorter terminal length than hip, but I'd say MOST people could definitely achieve it.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I don't have the genetic capacity to get to super long lengths of hair, but even I reckon I can get to hip (and I'm almost twice your age!). And as it is, I've NEVER had hair that long, even as a kid!!

You just need to keep caring for your hair (wear it up a lot), treat it gently and let it GROW!

UpNorth
February 12th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Why does many "professionals" know so little about what I thought was basic knowledge for many professions? And why don't they have any respect for their customers?

I wish they could have love for and be interested in hair and customer service. Not only trends, color and scissors.

Cania
February 12th, 2013, 02:55 AM
20 year old with hip length hair, here!

It's pretty unusual to have BSL or APL as a terminal length, so don't fret :) Your hairdresser sounds a bit daft, to be honest, I'd suggest you start the search for someone who will support your goals. There are lots of amazing hairdressers out there who actually deserve your custom!

Terminal lengths are tricky. We do have a few ladies on here who cannot grow past BSL, I'm pretty sure it's just genetics. But there are lots of women outside of LHC who swear they can't grow past a certain length when, really, they just don't look after their hair properly and it just gets damaged and snaps off (I knew a girl who swore chin was her terminal... never mind the constant bleach/dye jobs every two weeks!)

Take good care of your hair and yourself, and you should get there eventually. I got therein pretty good condition despite some pretty severe neglect :P This is the longest my hair has ever been.

Purdy Bear
February 12th, 2013, 03:56 AM
I'd just go for it and don't let anyone else decide for you. You want hip length hair then try it, the only thing that may stop you is reaching your terminal length but that could be any length, even ankle, so you wont know until you reach it.

Keep doing what your doing and you will get there. You will find in life some really like to put their opinions onto others and to be frank they need to look at themselves first. As the case of this hairdresser she's thinking of the money she will loose because you wont need to trim every month.

Do be careful when going for a trim though, ask your long haired friends who they see, and only allow scissors near your hair when your totally satisfied that the person cutting knows how much you are taking off and will stick to it.

PS: Fortune tellers, psychics and mediums can't even tell you the length of hair you can get and I know plenty of em. :)

Kiwiwi
February 12th, 2013, 03:58 AM
I believe loads of people truly believe that great lenghts are something rare and not many people can reach it.
I believe that even many pro's (hairdressers etc) actually believe that. Which is not a good thing to me. A pro should know what hair can do.
My main problem is her attitude and I'm sorry she was like that. She should treat you (customer) nicely. She could even just say "I don't believe that's possible but look it up and let me know". Or just "Well, I don't believe it's possible but I'd like to see it if you do reach it". Anyways, she was just unkind.

Do you know her name? If not, find out. So when you reach your goal you can go show her (if she doesn't work there anymore you can maybe look her up on the internet and mail her a pic ;-)).

And if you're now uncomfortable with her and you're afraid she will... sabotage your journey to long lengths. Go get another, long hair friendly hair dresser.

You are still very young at 20 and at 20 you can't ever say for sure you've reached terminal length.

Don't worry.
Happy growing! :)

RavennaNight
February 12th, 2013, 04:15 AM
What strange comments she made! As though 20 is older than dirt or something. :confused: I wouldn't listen to her, as everyone else in this thread has already told you. I used to be told my hair wouldn't ever get that long, either, and of course not if I was chemical dyeing and flat ironing all the time! Take good care of yourself and your hair, and hip length hair is a breeze to get to.

Mesmerise
February 12th, 2013, 04:22 AM
I believe loads of people truly believe that great lenghts are something rare and not many people can reach it.
I believe that even many pro's (hairdressers etc) actually believe that.

I must admit...years ago I read a book and it described a woman's length as "down to her ankles" and I remember thinking "that isn't possible!" but now I know it IS possible, even beyond!

However, I also believe that many people couldn't do it ;) I know that I couldn't! I can pretty much predict my own terminal as much shorter. But that's fine!

Still, to say a person couldn't get to hip is just... stupid. A lot of people have hip length hair! A hairdresser should surely have seen some of them?!

katiebeans
February 12th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I think that with the way some people treat their hair these days, there is a huge misconception about terminal length. Women who heat style/dye/perm/bleach etc. are going to have a much harder time growing hip length hair than someone who doesn't. I'm going think that your hairdresser is probably used to being around people who have those procedures done regularly, so she probably didn't even think twice about saying that to you.

spidermom
February 12th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Age 59.
See sig pic.

Nenyath
February 12th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Nikkidondon, it is nonsense! I cut my hair short as a sixteen-year-old and then let it grow from there, in my early twenties I did not pay it much attention, was twice a week and condition, have it down or ponied always and struggling with detangling. It would not get lower than mid back. After LHC for 3 or 4 years, and I just hit tailbone length and I am now 26. I feel accomplished though, apparently we have a habit of doing the impossible on the forum.

Carolyn
February 12th, 2013, 06:33 AM
You need to RUN, not walk away from that stylist. I hope you never go to her again. She does not have your best interests at heart. She is thinking of her own pocketbook. There are great stylists out there and I'm sure you can find one. Yes it is possible to grow to long lengths when you are older. I know because I've done it. Stick around here for advice and inspiration.

torrilin
February 12th, 2013, 06:41 AM
"exactly. you were young. you will not be able to grow hair that length anymore."

Some hair stylists just don't like long hair. That's fine, we all have different tastes.

I'm 35, and my hair hit waist for the first time over the last year. Prior to that, I'd tend to chop off 4-6" when I got to a long BSL because it'd catch on things and I'd panic and freak out and chop. Then as soon as my hair hit the magic length again... chop! I'm not the only poster here who has had a panic and chop cycle either.

I have really fine, delicate hair that splits if it's messed with too much, and even so, I've never had a stylist tell me I can't grow it longer than what they saw on my head. I keep after it ruthlessly, so my idea of a horrible split ridden mess has occasionally had stylists insisting I didn't need a trim. Most of the stylists I've had over the years have been very helpful and supportive, providing lots of encouragement to give up the blow dryer, learn to braid, use plenty of conditioner, and keep ahead of the splits so I don't lose length to them. There absolutely are good stylists out there, I promise.

Age can affect your terminal length, but it is pretty rare for adults to have hair that's terminal length. There are a few posters here who just trim splits, have a deep V fairy tale style hem, and have had no length increase for years who believe they're at terminal. Most of 'em probably are, and pretty much all of them are in the midthigh and longer range. I know one poster in that range says she's lost some length (on the order of a few inches on a past knee length mane) as she's aged. And one poster in that near terminal group had years of no growth and suddenly started growing again. While it's possible to have a terminal length of BSL, it's rare. But having hair that's well documented enough that you can legitimately suspect terminal is pretty rare too :).

There isn't a large enough pool of people with hair where it's reasonable to suspect terminal that it's easy to make a statement about how long a terminal is typical for humans. APL and BSL are definitely shorter than typical tho, because if they were typical, there'd be much less of a custom of cutting hair ;). Since even classic length hair is relatively common compared to suspected terminal, it's kind of unlikely that classic is a typical terminal length. I do suspect tho that the tailbone to classic range is one where it's much easier to get a false terminal.

Really, long hair is a waiting game. My hair grows faster than average, in the 7-9" per year range. But classic on me is around 48", so it'd easily take 5 years to hit classic from bald if everything went well, and 10-15 years would not be at all unreasonable. Fortunately, BSL to waist is a much smaller project :). On most women with average growth, it's theoretically doable in a year. I generally double that to allow for split ends, random fireballs, fans trying to eat your hair and other disasters.

hanne jensen
February 12th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Of course your hairdresser would tell you that you can't grow your hair to your hips! There's no profit in long hair. Hairdressers hate long hair. They earn so much more money on short hair that has to be cut every 4-6 weeks and permed, colored, blow fried, straightened or generally trashed. If everybody had long healthy hair the hairdressers would be unemployed.

maborosi
February 12th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Lol what. 20 years old is not too old to grow long hair. wtf.

~maborosi~

FireFromWithin
February 12th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I once had a hairdresser tell me my hair won't grow longer and needed to be cut when it was at BSL, the evidence for this statement was that there was a v shape to my hair, a v shape she had cut in the last time I went to the hairdresser to get layers. A lot of hairdressers never deal with people trying to grow very lomg hair and they will make the same assumptions as the general population, it's not uncommon for people to think that long hair is gross (I have a friend who looks like she may heave when thinking about it and much preferrs her own, deliberately wrecked bob length hair)

AnqeIicDemise
February 12th, 2013, 08:27 AM
I'm 28 and my hair's at my hips. The concept that you could only grow hair when you're young is bollocks. Most people's terminal length are much, much, much longer than hip. There are very few rare exceptions and believe me, you'd know by now if you'd hit terminal length somewhere else or if there was underlying issues such as bad hair care and breakage.

Ignore her and keep going.

nobeltonya
February 12th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Chances are, unless you have some kind of illness or poor diet, you will be able to go to hips [or even longer]. :) They have to tell you that so you'll keep going and getting it cut short. That's another reason why I don't go to the salons anymore... the main thing is to be patient and find what works for your hair.. :disco:

juliaxena
February 12th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Tell her in this case you should stop coming in for trims because you'd still like it to get as long as possible. See how that goes :P

If she says you need trims to grow tell her hair grows from the root not from the end.

GrowingGlory
February 12th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I was told the same thing throughout junior high and high school. Now I'm 47 and my hair is hip length and in excellent condition. (Blowing raspberries at her!)

Tota
February 12th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Of course your hairdresser would tell you that you can't grow your hair to your hips! There's no profit in long hair. Hairdressers hate long hair. They earn so much more money on short hair that has to be cut every 4-6 weeks and permed, colored, blow fried, straightened or generally trashed. If everybody had long healthy hair the hairdressers would be unemployed.

I agree with this 100%. My ex-hairdresser made all these disgusted faces when I told her I want to stop dyeing and grow out my virgin hair. She never saw me again and I was her customer for almost 10 years. I don't need to pay someone to be discouraging and unsupportive. I have enough people like that around me that gladly do that for free ;)

Icialine
February 12th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I've grown my hair out from BSL to hip and classic just as easily in my early twenties, late twenties and thirties. Actually, it gets easier every time because of forums like this one and improvements in hair products and treatments.
I'd stay away from that stylist not because she dislikes long hair but because she simply doesn't love her work. For a stylist to not be aware that for thousands of years women of all ages not only could, but did, have extremely long hair simply means she has zero curiosity about her own profession and it's history. What would you think of a chef who said it was impossible to cook ribs simply because all they ever did was flip burgers?That they were incompetent and ignorant,no?
It seems to be a growing trend in salons to hire people who must have stumbled into hairstyling for want of something else to do because more and more often I'll go looking for products and know far more about them than the people working there who use them every day. I even had one stylist ask me who Audrey Hepburn is and who had no clue about a film as iconic as Breakfast at Tiffany when I was looking for pins for an updo.:doh:
If she was telling you she didn't think it would suit you that would be one thing but what she's trying to do is impose her very limited views and knowledge on you. Even if you wanted to have short hair this is someone who is bound to lead you to a hair disaster sooner or later because she doesn't have a clue what she's doing and will never improve because she isn't curious enough to educate herself at a time when doing so is easier than ever: she could just Google it, that's how I ended up finding this site.

Vrindi
February 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM
There are some great hair dressers out there! I've been lucky enough to know a few who LOVE long hair and won't chop it/tell you to get rid of it. Find someone who respects your wishes, and don't let someone who doesn't near your hair!

lapushka
February 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
If you keep the regular blurb that hairdressers usually come out with into consideration (cut every 4 to 6 or 6 to 8 weeks), then yes, you will not be able to grow your hair longer. You're letting them cut that growth right off. But if you stick with what we over here stick to (long periods of no trimming or trimming very little), then yes you will be able to let it grow. Don't believe what she says. There's plenty of ladies on here who are proof to the contrary.

Vrindi
February 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I'm 31 and I grew my hair to my hips in the last 3 years. Still growing.

HairFaerie
February 12th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I call :bs:

My only advise would be to find another hairdresser....QUICK! There are plenty out there that will be supportive and not make faces, snide comments, etc.

As other people have already mentioned, there are plenty of people on this board that are well over 20 that have hair past hip. She really doesn't know what she is talking about. If she doesn't like/prefer long hair, that's fine, but as a hairdresser, she shouldn't pass judgement and discourage someone who wants long hair.

RavenBaby
February 12th, 2013, 01:50 PM
You need to find a hairdresser that doesn't suck. :) They are out there. :agree:

I Agree, She doesn't sound like she knows what she's even talking about.

pocketsmall
February 12th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Whenever I explain to my hair dresser that I'm trying to grow out my hair as long as possible, I always get asked "oh to donate it?" and then I selfishly reply "well, no."

Wildcat Diva
February 12th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Sure, why else would anyone want to grow their hair, right? Duh.

TitaniaOfFairys
February 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Why does many "professionals" know so little about what I thought was basic knowledge for many professions?

This!
I find it very sad that hairdressers seem to know the least about something they learn in schools for years (if we are optimistic). I'm not speaking about all hairdressers of course.
But it is a bit scary for me really. They learn about hair, the growing phases, and everything else - where are all this knowledge? Why I feel they don't want to share their supportive knowledge when it comes about long hair? They know everything about hair dyes, perm, cutting, and they more than happy if you say you want bleach blonde hair, or a very short stye, or perm, etc. But they must know everything about growing, haircare, aging, too... why they feel they need to hide this information from you? And say stupid things instead?

I agree with the others, she was very rude to you, don't listen to her! You are young, you can grow your hair as long as you want.

And if I were you, I wouldn't go back to her until my hair is hip length. Then I'd go back and show it to her :p

bunnylake
February 12th, 2013, 03:51 PM
There are women on this forum with hair to their knees, ankles, and maybe even beyond, I'm not sure....
If I were you I'd be tempted to go back to her with photos of all the lovely Super Longhairs and say "OH YEAH?"
Ugh. She just has no idea what she's talking about. You can surely grow your hair to hip length. I don't see why not. I think most people's terminal length is probably beyond that anyway, I could be wrong...
Good luck on your hair growing adventure and don't let anyone discourage you from what you want to achieve.

Celtic Morla
February 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
My grooming shop ins next door to a hairdresser who does my dusting for me(I groom her puppy) and she is very supportive of my long hair. One day I mightjust ask her to do some braiding on it so I can PAY her..LOL she wont letme pay her for dusting! Her cleints always comment on th elength of my hair and its health. I laugh when I see blue hair days athe rsalonbut it amazes me hwo many older woemn blame their thin hair on age when they perm it and dye it to death!

If a hairdresser cannotundestand why you want to grow your hair she is not the right person for you. I used to have my DD trim my hair but then she chopped off more than I wanted and I don't trust her not to do it agin(she was lamenting the fact my hair was longer than hers!) because she likes ot compete with mom about everything and I don't need to lose 4 inches again!

lapushka
February 12th, 2013, 03:58 PM
They learn about hair, the growing phases, and everything else - where are all this knowledge? Why I feel they don't want to share their supportive knowledge when it comes about long hair? They know everything about hair dyes, perm, cutting, and they more than happy if you say you want bleach blonde hair, or a very short stye, or perm, etc. But they must know everything about growing, haircare, aging, too... why they feel they need to hide this information from you? And say stupid things instead?

Simple answer? Because it doesn't pay to have clients with minimal upkeep and/or very long hair. They make their money off of high maintenance styles and would rather you have to undergo x-amount of services per year.

TitaniaOfFairys
February 12th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Simple answer? Because it doesn't pay to have clients with minimal upkeep and/or very long hair. They make their money off of high maintenance styles and would rather you have to undergo x-amount of services per year.

It's sad, but you are right.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 12th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Oh just ignore her and keep growing. :)

Vrindi
February 12th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Whenever I explain to my hair dresser that I'm trying to grow out my hair as long as possible, I always get asked "oh to donate it?" and then I selfishly reply "well, no."

It's not selfish to want to keep your hair. Is it selfish for others to keep shorter hairstyles because that's what they like? Nope. So it isn't selfish for us to keep it long because we like it. Donating hair has just become a way to bully someone who has something someone else doesn't. Keeping your hair doesn't make you a selfish person. Don't let anyone ever manipulate you through guilt, it's totally evil and has nothing to do with compassion. If you want to donate your hair, then do it because you want to. If you don't, don't feel badly about it.

torrilin
February 12th, 2013, 04:54 PM

I happily pay for brow waxing, getting my hair braided, getting lessons in hair styling and if I had more social events that called for fancier hair than I can do, I'd pay to have my hair done for that. I don't mind paying for expertise, or even the luxury of not HAVING to do it myself. I will even cheerfully pay salon prices for hair products. I recognize that a good stylist needs to make money to cover their shop's rent and to keep their family fed and in health insurance.

I do object to paying enormous fees for my basic as can be haircut :). I also mind paying for the stylist to try and talk me into heat styling or changing my haircut. I happily change my hairstyle most days... but the cut should not change.

MsBubbles
February 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Well the hair dresser is only human and we all make mistakes. I'm so glad you came here to ask us! I'm 45 with hip length hair. Started growing it out from shoulder length at 40. So yeah, that's a lot older than 20!

I was also told when young that because my hair was fine it'd either never grow long(er than say, APL), or that it'd just look really sorry because it's so 'thin'.

Anyway, seems a lot of people mistakenly believe what your hairdresser told you: Mothers, sisters, cousins, co-workers, etc. It's not true.

bunnylake
February 12th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Also, not everyone needs a hair stylist. There are self trim methods or you can ask a friend or relative to trim your hair when you need it. Many LHCers don't go to salons at all, ever.
My sister is a stylist so I have her do my microtrims but that's it. I henna myself. I don't require any salon services at all.

dulce
February 12th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Feyes method[utube] or a Creaclip[utube allows you to cut your own hair if you are unable to locate a supportive stylist.I haven't been to a salon for almost 3 years[creaclip] and have no plans to.Check out these two methods on utube.

nikkidondon
February 12th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your replies and support! You all are so right that she probably just wants my business or doesn't know much about hair at all!! It just was very discouraging to hear because my hair does grow slowly so I wasnt sure if I was wasting my time...thank you for all your help!! Xoxo

nikkidondon
February 12th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Feyes method[utube] or a Creaclip[utube allows you to cut your own hair if you are unable to locate a supportive stylist.I haven't been to a salon for almost 3 years[creaclip] and have no plans to.Check out these two methods on utube.

Thank you so much I will!!! Sounds great!

EdG
February 12th, 2013, 07:09 PM
There is only one way to tell for sure how long your hair will grow. :)
Ed

Fairlight63
February 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM
There is no reason that you can not grow your hair long. I have thin, fine gray hair, tbl hair & I am almost 68. The only reason that you may not be able to grow it long is if you listen to I****'s like that & cut it. Talking from past experience I am my own worst enemy - not having patience enough to grow it long - or seeing other short cute hairstyles & thinking that they are cute then get the urge to cut. They never look as cute on me as they did on the other person.
Stay the course - it is a long process that a lot of people don't have the patience for & give up. Learn to trim your hair yourself. Wear your hair up most of the time & take good care of it & there is no reason that you can't grow it long!

leslissocool
February 12th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Seriously don't listen to her, just take GOOD care of your hair and keep on eating right and being healthy. It will grow :).

Falcore
February 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I cannot wait to see you prove her wrong. :)

chen bao jun
February 12th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Teehee...I didn't start growing my hair long until I was 51, and reached hip at 53. Before that, the longest I'd had it was at BSL and that was when I was a teenager. So using the same kind of logic, you could make the argument that I couldn't grow my hair past BSL as a teen because I was young, and had to get old(er) to get long hair! I think your hairdresser is being a little silly.

This encouraged me--I'm 56, also have been BSL at my longest and would like to reach at least BSL again and hopefully mid-back/waist. I've been growing for 10 months and it seems SO slooow--so thank you for posting this.
As for the hairdresser, that wasn't very nice of her to say. I know from this forum that there are good hairdressers out there, but all the ones I ever went to complained about my 'unmanageable' hair, told me I had to straighten it and trimmed, trimmed, trimmed the resulting damage. It wouldn't hurt you to take a break from her since she is not supporting your goal--why give someone money when they are obviously not on the same page you are?

JadeTigress
February 12th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Ditch her! There are actually good stylists out there. I went through so many, and all they wanted to do was chop and throw in layers even though I tell every single one that I growing out my hair. But the guy I went to last time (because the lady before him BUTCHERED my then BSL hair with asymmetrical layers, cutting them from the top down instead of the other way around) was amazing. I told him how much I thought I needed cut off to make the layers not as horrible, and he looked at my hair and told me he didn't need to cut that much off. He's definitely a keeper. :p

lovinglocks
February 12th, 2013, 08:13 PM
My advice: new hairstylist. That's like going to a sylist and asking for hair care advise and then all they do is try to sell you products. They are taught certain things which aren't always correct. Like a friend of mine, her hairdresser told her henna is bad for hair...

Immera
February 12th, 2013, 08:25 PM
The reason why she was so negative .. if you grow out your hair, you will no longer need her and she loses a customer.

jasper
February 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I don't wonder why you want to grow hip length hair. For one thing, it will mean fewer sessions with a hair dresser who makes faces and looks disgusted at you. Sheesh.

I grew my hair to hip length after I was 40.

jacqueline101
February 12th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't let it damper your hopes of long hair. Chin up keep growing.

TheLuckyLurker
February 12th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your replies and support! You all are so right that she probably just wants my business or doesn't know much about hair at all!! It just was very discouraging to hear because my hair does grow slowly so I wasnt sure if I was wasting my time...thank you for all your help!! Xoxo

I'm glad you decided to ignore her and keep growing. But I have to say I think you're wrong about her wanting your business; open disgust, rudeness and general disrespect usually encourage customers to take their money elsewhere, as I think you should do.

Islandgrrl
February 12th, 2013, 10:38 PM
I was told that same thing by hairdressers because of my fine hair.In my 30's,I was tailbone length and at 61 am regrowing my hair and am 3 inches from BCL now.So try growing,they are not always right.

I'm 51 and my hair is a little past classic. That's grown out from 2" long all over in about 7 years. Patience and a bit of benign neglect, and a commitment to not cut. You can do this.

nikkidondon
February 13th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I'm 51 and my hair is a little past classic. That's grown out from 2" long all over in about 7 years. Patience and a bit of benign neglect, and a commitment to not cut. You can do this.

Thanks for the encouragement!! I've just got to forget about it and one day it'll be as beautiful as yours!!! wowww

trolleypup
February 13th, 2013, 10:03 PM
47 and working my way past calf. Ignore the naysayers and keep growing!

spirals
February 13th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I was also told when young that because my hair was fine it'd either never grow long(er than say, APL), or that it'd just look really sorry because it's so 'thin'. And yet, it's fabulous.

jessa
February 14th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Im 22 now and started going my hair from APL at 20 and my hair is now past waist. For a person who works with hair everyday, she sounds very ignorant. I recently went to a new salon and told the hairdresser there about my hair growing plan and she was soo lovely and even mentioned to me that she is not one of 'those' hairdressers who insist on cutting off long hair. I will definitely be going back to her for future trims. There are some good ones out there!

Luminaria
February 15th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Don't worry so much about what she said. If you continue to treat your hair well and have healthy habits, I don't see why you can't have hip length hair. Just wait and see.

jessicac1
February 15th, 2013, 03:27 AM
I agree nobody knows your terminal length, its inherited so if your parents never tried growing it out you wouldnt know! I was told exactly the same by a hairdresser that my hairs too thin to grow it out. After measuring its not that my hair is thin, just fine and straight. Honestly don't listen to them!
I do bellydance and most of the people at the workshops I attend have hair past waist often hip :)

cobden 28
February 15th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Change your hairdresser pronto!

jojo
February 15th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Nearly 43 with hip length hair! A lot of people in the real world see hip as very long, of course we all see extreme lengths on here so very long hair is normal to us hair fanatics! She probably means " i hope you don't grow it that long or im a customer down!" Hairdressers cut hair, simple its how they make their living, they like to show their skills by making customers feel pretty and pretty to them means different modern day styles.
I wouldn't take her comments to heart and there is no possible way of knowing how long terminal is on you as it is subjective to the individual.

Eta i am actually nearly 44, i forget!!!

Celtic Morla
February 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
My Niece is thinking about going to Cosmetology school and I told her to specialize in long hairs! LOL Told her there is money to be made for knowing your stuff! And I think many of us would pay well to have complex braids!

Islandgrrl
February 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the encouragement!! I've just got to forget about it and one day it'll be as beautiful as yours!!! wowww

I think a big part of growing your hair long is realizing that you don't NEED anyone's approval or intervention. If I want to trim y hair a bit, I trim it. I don't entrust it to someone who can ruin it for me in five seconds. I'm not saying that hairdressers are bad. They are, on the whole, just not a longhair's best resource.

hanne jensen
February 15th, 2013, 11:40 AM
nikkidondon, is there someone in your life that supports your long hair journey? A family member, good friend or mate? If so, you could go the micro trimming (dust) route. Just 1/4-1/2 centimeter every 6-8 weeks. Just enough to keep your hemline nice and tidy. If there is someone who you trust, buy some hair scissors and have them dust you. You may find that your hair starts growing faster. I have Hubby dust my hair every 4-6 weeks and my breakage rate is way down. I've found that I actually have a pretty good growth rate and a huge breakage rate. My Hubby always dusts me when my hair is dry, keeping the loss of length to an absolute minimum.

nikkidondon
February 15th, 2013, 03:20 PM
nikkidondon, is there someone in your life that supports your long hair journey? A family member, good friend or mate? If so, you could go the micro trimming (dust) route. Just 1/4-1/2 centimeter every 6-8 weeks. Just enough to keep your hemline nice and tidy. If there is someone who you trust, buy some hair scissors and have them dust you. You may find that your hair starts growing faster. I have Hubby dust my hair every 4-6 weeks and my breakage rate is way down. I've found that I actually have a pretty good growth rate and a huge breakage rate. My Hubby always dusts me when my hair is dry, keeping the loss of length to an absolute minimum.

Haha well I've asked my boyfriend to trim my hair before but he said he would be too nervous to mess it up :( I suppose I could ask my dad or just s&d for a while!!
Thanks for the advice!!!

Xi
February 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I'm 29 and my hair's around classic length. 'Course, I haven't had my hair cut by a hairdresser in ... let's see... 20 years or so. Pays to be unfashionable sometimes -- long hair AND considerable amounts of money saved.
Happy growing -- I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Ravenwind
February 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I recently told my hairstylist of my aspiration to have hair down to my hips. She at first looked disgusted and asked me "why" and then proceeded to ask me what would make me think I'd even be able to grow my hair that length. I told her I have fairly healthy hair habits, eating habits, and I used to have very long hair when I was little (every age up until 10 years old). She nodded and made a face and goes, "exactly. you were young. you will not be able to grow hair that length anymore." I am just confused by this. I'm currently 20 years old...what exactly is a terminal length and what factors go into determining how long I can grow my hair? Do most people have a terminal length at bsl? apl? She has absolutely made me so nervous that at some point I will never reach hip because I'm not a child anymore...

She has no idea what she's talking about. You can most definitely keep growing your hair no matter how old you are. It amazes me what most hairstylists think and say these days...

kmoc123
February 15th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I stay away from hairdressers...butchers! My hair is now classic length, 44 inches...oh, I am 53 yrs old. Stay out of salons, away from hairdressers and away from scissors. You will be fine! :)

EtherealDoll
February 17th, 2013, 05:32 AM
I would stay away from a hairdresser like that. The way she reacted makes me think that she's one of those hairdressers who will trim 5 inches off your hair when you only ask for a 1 inch trim.shudder:

You should find a hair friendly hairdresser, there are a lot of them, you just need to search.

Sterlyn
February 17th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I would stay away from a hairdresser like that. The way she reacted makes me think that she's one of those hairdressers who will trim 5 inches off your hair when you only ask for a 1 inch trim.shudder:

You should find a hair friendly hairdresser, there are a lot of them, you just need to search.

This, I also thought the same thing when I read the first post....

LadyLongLocks
February 19th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Just ignore her comments and keep growing. Learn to self trim to keep you out of salons.I have not been in a salon since the early 80's... With the exception of a George Michael Salon one time. They understand and will help you if you ever have the chance to go.

UP Lisa
February 19th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I started growing my hair out at 42. When it got to BCL I kept trimming it in order to have an even hemline. Not sure how long it might have gotten.............I'm 52 now.

Thinthondiel
February 19th, 2013, 10:31 PM
On most women with average growth, it's theoretically doable in a year. I generally double that to allow for split ends, random fireballs, fans trying to eat your hair and other disasters.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I just had to say this... I got distracted while I read this post, so when I came to "fans trying to eat your hair" I had to do a double-take, because I imagined fans of some celebrity trying to eat said celebrity's hair. :p

AnqeIicDemise
February 19th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Sorry for going off-topic, but I just had to say this... I got distracted while I read this post, so when I came to "fans trying to eat your hair" I had to do a double-take, because I imagined fans of some celebrity trying to eat said celebrity's hair. :p

lol... im so glad I wasn't the only one with visions of personal fans eating my shed hair... or worse, running up to me for an autograph then grabbing the ends of my hair and suckling. Its bad enough my cat already does that.

blondecat
February 22nd, 2013, 05:00 AM

I've only read your op. but Im very confidant everyone here has called her so called 'Advice' BS

I'm 48 and only last year my very slow growing hair suddenly shot off to below hip / I could sit on it lenght :D My fairy floss fine hair made it :D

My hint. I started drinking protein shakes. Made a would of difference for me ( I drink Soy protein)

I'm sure everyone has given lots of hints and encouragement. Im just lending to this.

You Can Do It Sweetie

((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))
Drink lots of water

blondecat
February 22nd, 2013, 05:05 AM
Hopefully this doesn't get turned into a hair dresser hate derail thread, but that is pretty absurd for ANYONE to say something like that to you! Hair dresser saying it or not.
Find a hair dresser that is supportive of you.

I must say, I simply Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee my Barber. She is the bestest ever. And that makes me a loyal client :D

I do hope this thread meained hairdresser Friendly.
It's the bad ones that maybe make 1 % of all hairdressers, but, sadly give everyone the heebee jeebies, and give everyone else a bad Rep.

((((((((((((akilina)))))))))))))) <3

Katze
February 22nd, 2013, 05:49 AM
Having also gotten similar comments in my 20s, I am going to say something different from many people here.

Hairdressers do not seem to learn about hair types. I have had countless people tell me my hair is 'thin' when it is (part of it anyway) is fine. It is not that she is a bad or greedy person, but perhaps ignorant and uninformed. This is not the same as having bad intentions. :)

As someone who has tried to grow her hair for ten years now and has tried most things within reason, I have to say that I DO have short terminal length (BSL-waist for my longest hairs, shoulder-APL for the other half). While it is true that many people can get the kind of incredible lengths mentioned in this thread by better hair care, there are many people out there who can't - I am one of them. The longest my hair has ever been was the tips touching waist, when I was pregnant with DD over 4 years ago. It all fell out after she was born.

My hair is still long and healthy by real-world standards, just not compared to LHCers. My stylists (a sis and bro team) regularly compliment its condition.

In your case, since you did already have long hair before, as a kid, you should be able to grow it long again. Age seems to make a difference only at menopause, when hormones can play havoc with hair growth cycles, or for people who are really ill, poorly nourished, etc. However, for those, like me, who have never been able to get long hair by LHC standards, it is genetic and there is nothing you can do about it. I think it is important to mention this for that percentage of us out there for whom better care does not help get long hair. :)

Becky9679
February 22nd, 2013, 06:21 AM
I haven't read the entire thread, but I direct your attention to my sigpic. The photo on the left is 8 years ago, I was 23 and virtually at classic. It's also worthwhile pointing out that at that time I was using chemical dye, ripping a brush through tangles, wearing it down almost all the time (I barely knew how to do any updos) and although I didn't use heat styling I probably caused a lot of damage in various ways, yet STILL managed to get to that length. I'm pretty certain I wasn't at my terminal length.

I'm now 31 years old and I'm halfway between hip and tailbone.

I'm sure I read somewhere that although there's obviously a great deal of variation between different people, the average terminal length that *most* people can reach (if their hair is well-maintained) is 42 inches, which is generally around mid thigh depending on how your body is put together. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this point!

bradlea
February 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Coming out of high lvl lurkmode to offer my thoughts on the hairdresser thing!
Hello everyone, I'm Bradlea. I also completed cosmetology school and feel like I can add some insight to the awful stylist conversation.
I don't work in a salon because I hate the environment. I can promise you that cosmetology school teaches everything you need to know about hair, hair types, and how to think more logically about common hair myths, like "thin" hair not being able to grow long; The problem is that no one listens. No one at my school gave a single crap about anything but making money. Most people, unfortunately, do really go to beauty school because they think it's going to be easy and they have no other options. As someone who went because I am truly passionate about hair, I found it endlessly infuriating and it was actually really hard for me to graduate because I hated being there so much.
Our coursework was almost entirely good, but every time a teacher brought up some specific service you might offer at a salon, they always automatically told you either "when you work at a salon you should do this because you can make a lot of money", or "don't bother with this because it's not very profitable." Everything is through the lens of "how can I make the most cash possible?"
Being a stylist is being an artist, to me. So I hate the kind of stylists everyone is complaining about not only because they don't take my passion as seriously as I do, but also because they are so greedy and give stylists like me a bad rap.

So yes, part of your problem, OP, was that your stylist sees everything through the mindset of making money. Another part was that she was probably too stupid to pay attention in school and actually learn anything. I'm surprised she didn't try to talk you into extensions. :rolleyes: It's shockingly easy to pass a state board test, I could have done it with a week of study.

Anyway, I'm glad to finally feel like I had something useful enough to say that I could stop being too shy to de-lurk :3 Maybe I'll be more brave from now on!

Becky9679
February 22nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome Bradlea, it's good to have someone like you aboard! :flower:

Vrindi
February 22nd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Bradlea, well spoken! You are the kind of person I seek out when I'm looking for a stylist. And hey, those stupid people exist in every kind of class, even in my prestigious graduate program. Makes you want to look at someone and say, "why are you here?"

CheekAllison
February 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM
You really should look for a different hair dresser. I started seriously growing my hair about four years ago. I'm 18 now and staring hip length hair in the face. And one of my customers at work told me the other day that she started growing her hair twenty years ago and she's in her late fifties now. She has the prettiest classic length hair I've seen... So don't listen to your hairdresser.

bradlea
February 23rd, 2013, 01:00 AM
Thank you Becky, and Vrindi! In beauty school, usually I just asked myself, "why am I here?" hahaha. I learned almost everything I use often from youtube anyway, since I specialize in longhairs and vintage styling. School felt like a waste of time, the only really useful purpose it serves is making people take me more seriously :3

Nikkidondon, there's plenty of us around, even if we are in the minority. Don't be discouraged!