PDA

View Full Version : New length requires new styles...

freznow
March 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I'm extremely thankful that I have a break from school right now, because none of my old standard do's are working as nicely anymore, and I need time to figure something else out! I find it amazing how my two most comfortable, standard updo's (log roll and soft nautilus) just won't work anymore. They'll probably work again eventually, but they've decided not to work now. I have to sort through new styles (with the archives down, too!) and try to find a decent one for day to day wear. Most of them I can do, but nothing was as quick and comfortable as the log roll with a ficcare. Why can't it just always work?

*sigh* I guess I'd better get started practicing styles. Any suggestions?

Raederle
March 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
How about Trolleypup's Lazy Bun (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Veoz2zoXcrE)? The Countess posted a link to the directions yesterday, and it was easy and solid for me all day, and my hair looks to be about the same length.

I've thought about this issue a lot, and even written about it in my journal. I think what happens as hair grows longer is that your hands are "trained" for lack of a better word, to put your hair up a particular way. This happens to me the most when I stick to just one or two styles. After the X Day Challenge, I got into the habit of mixing up the styles more. It doesn't mean I don't end up with the same problem, but I have other dependable styles to rely on, and, when I do go back to the problem style in a month or so, it usually works.

Unfortunately, with the archives down, some of those styles are eluding me, and the members who posted many of the directions I relied on seem not to be on the board anymore.

Starr
March 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
How about Trolleypup's Lazy Bun (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Veoz2zoXcrE)? The Countess posted a link to the directions yesterday, and it was easy and solid for me all day, and my hair looks to be about the same length.

Thanks for link! I have yet another style to add to my repetoire!

Freznow, I'm having the same issue lately. . . my hair is too long for most of my old stand bys, but to short (thanks to the thickness) for a lot of the new styles I want to try out. :rolleyes:

freznow
March 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the link, Raederle. No matter how many times I have tried that bun today, I don't think it likes me. But it did remind me of a similar one I once learned (I don't know if it even has a name? Its really similar to the lazy bun, but kinda mixed with a karenlynn knot of some sort, I think) which I had to stop doing because it wouldn't hold securely anymore. Looks like it's working again! Yay! But you're right, I should probably learn how to do a few more with confidence so I don't get stuck in this situation again.

blue_nant
March 18th, 2008, 08:30 PM
With your length you can do an infinity. Even my fine slippery mass will hold in an infinity and one hairstick.

Good on your growth! Have fun!

spidermom
March 18th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Fresh blunt ends require new styles, too.

Sherri
March 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM
How long does hair have to be to do the lazy bun? I am at about 30" right now. does hair need to be damp when doing this bun? Her hair looked as though it was freashly washed.

Shell
March 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Figure 8, infinity, swirly bun, celtic knot, equilibrium bun, modified French Twist or fold with ficcare, Spiritlocks bun, orchid bun, to name a few. I think the instructions are available for these on the new boards, at the Loom, and at TBB.

Good luck,

anyone have any suggestions for classic length?

MadPirateBippy
March 19th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Cheese weasel, applied to forehead.

It will distract anyone from your hair being down, but I can't say much about damage.

In all seriousness, I'm loving the sock bun. I did it two days in a row, and while it's not quite as quick as a log roll, it's still pretty fast and length-neutral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8iZqobYaUk

Youtube tutorial from LHC member to the rescue!

Shell
March 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Cheese weasel, applied to forehead.

It will distract anyone from your hair being down, but I can't say much about damage.

In all seriousness, I'm loving the sock bun. I did it two days in a row, and while it's not quite as quick as a log roll, it's still pretty fast and length-neutral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8iZqobYaUk

Youtube tutorial from LHC member to the rescue!

Yes, I've been experimenting with this one too. I actually bought a ratt because the sock was kind of small, and heavy. The ratt is nice.