PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible my hair doesn't like product?

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hi guys! I'm very very new to the forum and I was wondering if it's possible that my hair doesn't like product after I shower and brush?
I have thick wavy/curly hair and it can get very dry at times. I usually load on the product but this past time, I did not put anything on my hair after I showered and it came out more voluminous and less greasy. I've found that my hair doesn't respond well to cones or protein either. I'm kind of confused so any help would be greatly appreciated!

xoxo

spidermom
February 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM
It could be that you don't like the effect of product on your hair.

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Hi thanks for answering! I definitely don't think my hair likes cones or protein though because every time I use products with those ingredients, my hair is okay until it dries and then it turns coarse and dry. If I don't use product in my hair will that end up damaging it in the long run?

jacqueline101
February 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Not its not impossible for your hair to hate a product mine didn't care for the hair plus shampoo set.

trolleypup
February 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM
My scalp hates products...my hair is OK with products, but it can mean the difference between 1b and 2b!

katiebeans
February 11th, 2013, 06:20 PM
It is perfectly possible :) I think there are a lot of people in the same boat as you. A lot of the gunk in some products can dry out and weigh-down hair. That's what happens to my hair, at least. I haven't used any sort of product (besides some natural remedies) in my hair in since July and it looks better than ever.

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 06:37 PM
It is perfectly possible :) I think there are a lot of people in the same boat as you. A lot of the gunk in some products can dry out and weigh-down hair. That's what happens to my hair, at least. I haven't used any sort of product (besides some natural remedies) in my hair in since July and it looks better than ever.

Okay thank you so much:] I'm just worried my hair is going to dry out without using product I guess it's the curly complex haha but it feels a lot lighter without the product in it!

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 06:38 PM
My scalp hates products...my hair is OK with products, but it can mean the difference between 1b and 2b!

Yes I found today without using product my scalp is a lot fresher! When I use products I find that my scalp gets oily and itchy and my ends get very dry. Without product my ends were still a little dry, but I think that may have something to do with henna.. thanks for your response!

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Not its not impossible for your hair to hate a product mine didn't care for the hair plus shampoo set.

Thanks I thought I was crazy!

renia22
February 11th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hi thanks for answering! I definitely don't think my hair likes cones or protein though because every time I use products with those ingredients, my hair is okay until it dries and then it turns coarse and dry. If I don't use product in my hair will that end up damaging it in the long run?

My hair is a different type than yours, but I also do not like hair products. I don't use anything but shampoo & conditioner (besides the occasional oiling of the length), haven't for a long time, and I do not see any damage from leaving it just as that.. If anything my hair and scalp feel a lot cleaner and healthier, and there is more of a shine to it.

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 06:48 PM
My hair is a different type than yours, but I also do not like hair products. I don't use anything but shampoo & conditioner (besides the occasional oiling of the length), haven't for a long time, and I do not see any damage from leaving it just as that.. If anything my hair and scalp feel a lot cleaner and healthier, and there is more of a shine to it.

I think I'm going to stick with this routine for now and see where it takes me:) What kind of oil do you use for the length? I've found so far that nothing seems to be my "miracle" treatment. Coconut oil was drying (I put it on dry hair and let it sit overnight), olive oil made my ends hard, and anything with cones in it is great for the time that I use it but slowly my hair stops reacting to it. There are so many opinions out there it's hard to decide what would be best haha

renia22
February 11th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I think I'm going to stick with this routine for now and see where it takes me:) What kind of oil do you use for the length? I've found so far that nothing seems to be my "miracle" treatment. Coconut oil was drying (I put it on dry hair and let it sit overnight), olive oil made my ends hard, and anything with cones in it is great for the time that I use it but slowly my hair stops reacting to it. There are so many opinions out there it's hard to decide what would be best haha

Coconut oil is the one I like, but my hair responds well to it (mine also responds well to sulfates & protein). I don't use it that often though. Honestly I have been just using shampoo and conditioner and that seems to be enough at the moment, luckily I found a few that I like that I rotate. You are right, there are a ton of options, and it stinks to spend money on things that don't work well, but a huge relief to find a keeper! Have you tried the Aubrey Organics Camellia conditioner? Thick haired people seem to like that one..

nikkidondon
February 11th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Coconut oil is the one I like, but my hair responds well to it (mine also responds well to sulfates & protein). I don't use it that often though. Honestly I have been just using shampoo and conditioner and that seems to be enough at the moment, luckily I found a few that I like that I rotate. You are right, there are a ton of options, and it stinks to spend money on things that don't work well, but a huge relief to find a keeper! Have you tried the Aubrey Organics Camellia conditioner? Thick haired people seem to like that one..

I have not tried that one but thanks for the suggestion! I definitely think my hair has been responding to the less is more approach so far so I'll get that conditioner and see where it takes me thanks!

renia22
February 12th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I have not tried that one but thanks for the suggestion! I definitely think my hair has been responding to the less is more approach so far so I'll get that conditioner and see where it takes me thanks!

Ooops, I just looked at the AO Camellia ingredient list and it does have soy protein in it, so maybe you wouldn't like it..

catasa
February 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I have never been able to find a styling product that worked well and felt good in my hair. Also leave-in conditioners usually only work for a couple of times before my hair starts to feel strange and misbehave. I have gone so far as to actually stop using conditioner altogether, instead I wash with a mild shampoo dilution and then distribute and scrunch some pure mineral oil as leave-in on the lengths on wet hair. This makes my hair soft and brings out the waves at least as good as any leave-in I have tried, without much build-up or "strange" feeling.

I still do need to clarify/chelate now and again due to our hard water, and I also use commercial protein treatement and deep conditioner every few weeks, but apart from that no other products.

Icialine
February 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I've noticed that my hair can indeed not like a certain type of product- in my case it's often those containing glycerin. It can also love a product for quite some time and then suddenly react to it. I have shampoos and conditioners from a few brands and when my hair decides to rebel against one I simply apply an apple cider vinegar rinse to remove build-up and try another product.

spidermom
February 12th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I went the all-natural route for awhile, but I've discovered that my hair responds much better to commercial salon products than to home-made concoctions.

nikkidondon
February 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I went the all-natural route for awhile, but I've discovered that my hair responds much better to commercial salon products than to home-made concoctions.

What products work well for you? I think I've recently noticed that... For the past few months I've been trying to go all natural and use organic products but I've experienced such build up and dehydration from my hair... Since I've gone back to regular old shampoo and conditioner with sulfates and no cones my hair is less oily in the scalp and less dry on the ends... I almost feel wrong saying that haha..

Lilli
February 13th, 2013, 07:01 AM
My hair is not curly but it is very fine and I don't like any product other than an oil or oil/cone leave-in on the ends. Anything else makes my hair dull, tangly and yucky.

Rosetta
February 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Styling products make my hair feel icky, too; I prefer only a little bit of coney leave-in (never oils), if even that... I used to think I was weird as everyone else seems to use so much styling products, but here I think I'm in the majority ;)

GrowingGlory
February 13th, 2013, 07:39 AM
My hair doesn't like product, either. It doesn't like "foreign" oil or conditioner, just its own sebum. But it has never been healthier or looked better. If it isn't broken, why fix it?