PDA

View Full Version : Is my mother right? Help

darkrose
February 11th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Hi guys, I haven't been on here for a while partly because my hairs growing well, and it's healthy. Usually I just haunt the hairstyles threads.
Anyway my hairs at what I call "max" BSL. It's at the longer side of BSL, so about a centimetre below bra strap. It's never been this long before, when it's wet my hairs about 5 centimetres from my waist. My hair looks slightly thinner, but It doesn't bother me because I love having long hair.
My mother told me that I should cut my hair as it will then make it grow (I believe this to be incorrect). She then told me that I can never have long hair, asd natural blonde hair is too brittle and thin. Also, she told me that my aunts and herself could never grow their hair past BSL. I'm just wondering if this means I won't be able to grow my hair to waist (when it's dry)
thanks. :)

P.s
thank you to everyone for all the help you've given me over the years. This is truely one of the kindest forums I've ever been on. :,)

furnival
February 11th, 2013, 04:55 AM
There are some marvellous heads of long natural blonde hair round here, so I think we can discount that one for a start ;)
As for your mother never being able to grow past BSL, this is the length where many people seem to experience a false terminal. With your LHC knowledge you should be able to avoid this by wearing your hair up, treating it gently, avoiding heat and damage and keeping it moisturised.
Your mother has said some pretty disparaging things to you- don't let it get you down, just look after your hair as well as possible and blow her a big fat raspberry when she's proved wrong. :)

gossamer
February 11th, 2013, 04:55 AM
I think the only way to know if your mother is right is to see if your hair can grow past BSL. There's no way your mother can know for sure!

Cutting your hair will not make it grow. There's no way for your roots to "know" what's going on down at the ends. Now, if your hair is heavily damaged and the ends are tangling together and causing other hairs to break, then trimming them off will help the overall condition of your hair and it will eventually be able to grow longer. BUT if the ends aren't damaged, then cutting will do only one thing - make your hair shorter.

Also, next time your mom tells you that you can't grow long hair because it's blonde, show her arc691's or LadyLongLocks' gorgeous long blonde hair. Aside from their ankle length blonde hair, there are plenty of gorgeous heads of blonde hair around here with waist, hip and classic length hair to help inspire you.

Oh! Also, my mom's hair is thin and short, but that doesn't mean that my hair is. You aren't an exact copy of your mom and her sisters!

darkrose
February 11th, 2013, 05:21 AM
@furnival it's interesting about false terminal, I always had to cut my hair at BSL, but for some reason this year my hair's been healthier. I started using cactus oil on its ends instead of coconut which could be it. But thanks for your encouragement.

@grossamer ooooh I will have to check out those profiles! I'm sure they'll make mother reconsider. And you're right, even though my mother's and my hair are similar they can't be exactly the same. :)

GrowingOut
February 11th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Arc691 is the blannete inspiration to us all!

darkrose
February 11th, 2013, 06:04 AM
@growingout so true! :)

hanne jensen
February 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Arc69 is a natural blonde and has hair to her ankles. There are members here who have fine blond hair and have hair to their knees.

I've been told the same thing all my life by hair proffessionals all over the world. I'm not a blonde, but I have fine, dry and fragile hair. My hair is now at waist and still growing. I'm 5'6" tall, so it's not because I'm petite.

I do dust my hair every 5 weeks. Just 1/4 centimeter. This keeps my ends neat and stops my hair from splitting all the way up my head. I too had a lot of damage show up when I hit BSL. A lot of us do. Dust, dust, dust. Sooner or later the damage gets out of the hair while you're still growing.

Avoid new damage, wear your hair up most of the time and grow, grow, grow.

Cutting hair doesn't make it grow faster, it just makes it break slower. It's not neccessary to chop 10 centimeters off at one whack. Just 1/4-1/2 centimeter every 4-6 weeks. If you're feeling very brave, 1 centimeter every once in a blue moon.

Happy growing!

WaitingSoLong
February 11th, 2013, 06:13 AM
My hair is not super long but it is fine. I am on my way to knee.

Peggy E.
February 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I'm a mother and I can tell you this - Mothers are NOT always right! Usually, of course, but not always! ;o)

You are probably taking much better care of your hair than your mother and aunts had ever, the foods you eat are different, you are probably healthier. You certainly are living in a much different world and have been diligently gaining the knowledge necessary to have the best, healthiest hair possible - something your mother/aunts may not have done, or had available to them.

Whatever the case may be, you are an individual, the choices you make are your own. Your mom means well, and you can thank her for her concern, then go on with your life in the manner which is so obviously doing so well for you.

And this is one Mother's advice you might consider taking! ;o)

Kwantslonghair
February 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Cutting your hair does not make it grow. Trimming when needed keeps splits from going up the hair shaft and from breaking off. My hair is blond and right now is just touching waist. I have had it longer. My hair is on the finer side and grows.

jacqueline101
February 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I agree there are several blondes here that have super long hair and do fine growing it. As far as length goes you will have to grow your hair and see if it grows past bsl.

torrilin
February 11th, 2013, 09:21 AM
My hair is waist length, fine and very dry (tho not blonde). While it's definitely more split prone than average, and I do need to stay ahead of the splits with judicious search and destroy and dustings... it's still really low maintenance. Stuff it in an updo and it's happy.

My mom's hair has never been longer than APL at most. She usually keeps it in a short bubble perm sort of style. Until last summer, I'd never seen her natural hair. Even so, my hair cheerfully grows... as it turns out, the length you've always kept your hair by trimming has very little to do with your terminal length.

teal
February 11th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Sounds like your mom is afraid you'll prove her wrong by growing your hair longer than everyone else in the family. Do it! :D

ravenreed
February 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I have a non-LHC acquaintance who has naturally blond hair that she always wears in a knee-length braid. You may have to be a little more gentle with your hair if it is delicate is all.

Fantak
February 11th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Not blonde but my mother and my aunts (on my father's side) all have short thin hair (in a culture where long hair is the norm). My mother always encouraged me to grow it long even though all the hair 'experts' said it would never even grow to waist.

Well it has with lots of TLC. Yes it takes a little more work then most long hairs but it's well worth it :D

I'd say go for it and I'm sure you'll be past waist in no time.