PDA

View Full Version : want some help

Kyaatje
February 10th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I hesitated long before posting this, but here goes :p

I know I have splits, I S&D'ed beginning of this week, ending with a small dusting.
I'm a bit uncertain about my hair at the moment. I see the splits, my SO is saying that my once beautiful hair is looking not that good any more : to long and wildish and to top it off I'm not sure if that is because of the splits, because of my wavies don't like brushing or something else :rolleyes::rolleyes:
So I hoped you guys could help me !
I want to know : is it really obvious that my hair is split ?
Does it look like I need to tweak my routine ?
Do you have any other sort of advice ?
I'm reluctant to cut because I like my pink ends and I don't mind having some splits if it means that I have the pink, but I don't want it to be obvious for others that I have splits off course LOL On top of that I want my hair really really long so cutting is not really what I want !

Ok without much further ado : a photo from freshly washed, air dried and scrunched hair :

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/kyaatje/hair/f6cadce9-48b9-4972-b125-c45bd56572d2_zps027281f6.jpg

and the same day but after brushing and before oiling :

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/kyaatje/hair/P1000812_zpsc25e84c5.jpg

Shoot ! ;)

Kyaatje
February 10th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Oh I forgot to ask : what type of hair do you guys think I've got ?

CJCHair-stylist
February 10th, 2013, 01:30 PM
You look like you are a wavy if I`m going by the picture only. I have to mention that you must get rid of those splits the longer you have them the worse it will get. If you don`t deal with split ends quickly they spread up the hair shaft and as you cut them they split again, so many people have to lose more length than neccessary because of ignoring split ends. Make sure you use a very sharp pair of scissors, you can sharpen them using a crumpled up piece of aluminium foil (should be the roughly the size of an egg). Do not cut the foil (this will damage your scissors), run each blade of the scissors across it seven times. Get rid of those splits and them give yourself some good oil treatments to help replenish those ends. If those ends feel like mushy cottonwool or seaweed when your hair is wet then they have got to go. No brushing whatsoever until those splits are gone, combing only. Brushing when you have split-ends makes the split-ends worse.

tigereye
February 10th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I'm going to go out there and say 2a (that is, wavy). If you do have splits, the CJC is right, they need trimmed off. They will just spread and you'll lose the length. If you really want the pink, can you not try manic panic on the ends? It at least shouldn't damage your hair any more.
I would say your hair probably doesn't like being brushed - my hair is 1c/2a and on the rare occasions I want to leave it down wavy (which is pretty much any time I want it down since I sleep with it braided) I don't let a brush anywhere near it. Wide-tooth horn comb and that's all, or its hello frizz! And that looks like your issue - your ends are frizzing because you're brushing the wave out. Your hair is lovely in the first pic. Just try gentle detangling with a wide-tooth comb and see if it makes a difference.
Oh, and make sure you moisturise and baby it - usually my bad hair days are caused by lack of moisture. Coconut oil and Nightbloomings panacea solved that for me. I hope your hair gets better for you. :flower:

Zesty
February 10th, 2013, 04:04 PM
My advice would be to stop brushing, I think that would make a world of difference. In the first picture your hair looks beautiful and I can't detect damage despite the pink ends. In the second one it looks drier and has lost some luster -- probably because you've disrupted your wave pattern. Other than that, it looks like the advice everyone else is giving you is good.

crazycandigirl
February 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM
My hair does that too when I brush it or even comb it when it is dry. I have lots and lots of waves.

My hair behaves sooooo much better now that I comb it before I wash it, and wide tooth comb it again right after while it is wet. After that I don't touch it except with my fingers. If I try to brush/comb it while dry i get a dry, frizzy, lions mane thing going on. When I am going to braid it or bun it, I mist it with water (or water and a tad oil or conditioner), use a wide tooth comb and my fingers/palms. My ends love a little extra coconut oil too.

Now that I am treating my hair gentle instead of trying to brush it into straight (as my mother taught me to do- sigh), I have realized I don't have dry terrible unmanigable hair. I actually have pretty beachy style waves and wurls without any real effort. I love my hair so much more now :)

goldloli
February 10th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I'm guessing the problem is that he wants you to trim a lil and perhaps style it more? moreso on the styling, at least that's what my SO just said when i asked him, he said guys dont care/notice splits.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Id say stop brushing and start picking your waves with a pick comb. Id cut off the damage make sure your shears are sharp before you start full shears will cause more splits. I'd use the curly girl method for a hair routine.

Kyaatje
February 11th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody !
I think I didn't express myself well : I did s&d to get rid off the splits and even dusted off a little bit. I'm keeping up with the s&d's since I know that my hair is damaged from the bleaching and the (manic panic or stargazer) on my ends.

I think Goldloli might be right and he is not noticing the splits or the damaged hair, but just doesn't like it longer and think I need to style it more !

Brushing or not brushing .... I never really thougt about it because I like brushing so much LOL but my hair really does look better unbrushed doesn't it ! I never loved the effect off just combing, but I think it is more because off the way the bamboo bristles off the brush give kind of a headmassage !

So I' going to wash my hair today and will try to give the brush a rest :)

Lippytoes
February 11th, 2013, 04:18 AM
You can stick to brushing just before you're going to wash - that way you don't have to give up the enjoyment caused by brushing, but you won't be brushing your waves out.

I agree with the others - baby your ends with oils and such, and treat your hair as wavy! If you try out the curly girl method, you might find you're even wavier than you thought. :)

Kyaatje
February 11th, 2013, 04:58 AM
I think that is what I'm going to do : brush before washing it !
At the moment I'm using coconut oil or rainforest coconut hair oil from the bodyshop or some olive oil. I'm going to try out different washing methodes (again) because the diluted shampoo doesn't give me the right feeling at the moment

You know how sometimes when you'retalking to somebody you realise some things yourself or they seem to poinr you in the right direction ? This is what the forum is doing for me :) I don't have anybody who wants to talk hair irl