PDA

View Full Version : Feel the urge to cut my hair :(

SnowWhite
February 10th, 2013, 03:41 AM
So... I've been growing out my hair from a bob hair cut to past APL now...
But I have a major problem... when I look at the pictures of my bob, I love it so much! I think it suited my face so well. And when I look at pictures of my longer hair now, I really feel the urge to cut it. :( I think the longer hair looks less 'groomed'. I'm already wearing buns, ponytails, braids, but I would like to look better wearing my hair just down...
The only thing that restrains me from cutting it, is the effort I put in growing my hair. And I have some long hair inspirations, like Lady Guinevere from the First Knight movie, and Catherine Zeta Jones in the Mask of Zorro. But then I feel like long hair looks less good on me...
And then I'm not sure if I'll be happy if I cut my hair or if I'll regret it. But you know, sometimes I'd just like to take my scissors and get back to my old haircut. I also liked the fact that the bob looks more androgyn/boyish, it feels totally like me.. I feel so dull with my longer hair down...
But don't get me wrong, the other half of me wants to grow my hair still. Argh I don't know.

Please, I need some advice! What do you do when you feel this urge?

**removed pictures**

***EDIT***

So, I've been thinking about all this again. A lot of you also think the bob suited me well and that made it very difficult for me at first. I REALLY wanted to take my scissors. But then others preferred my longer hair..! Thanks for being honest anyway!!
I've taken my 'final decision'. I'm going to let it grow! I already put so much effort in growing and taking care of my hair, and it has been healthier and longer than ever. I never had my hair past APL. APL is just a crappy length. I do think really long hair will look better on me than my current APL length. I also have something for long feminine locks... If I want more boyish, androgynous looks, I can mess a little bit with some updos... Pencil buns and stuff. I promised myself not to cut it until I reach my goal length: first hip, eventually tailbone.
Besides, I love putting effort in something, pampering my hair feels like therapy. I'd miss brushing, oiling my hair if it were short.
To cheer myself up a bit, I ordered my first hair stick and hair fork (I had only pencils for haistyles :P , and because of my hair length and texture I can only do a crappy cinnamon bun)
I'm going to try to forget my love for the bob, and try to 'feed' the part of me that loves the very long hair.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm going for it! :cool:

melusine963
February 10th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I think you look beautiful with longer hair. The style in the second picture makes you look more mature (not necesssarily older though, if that makes sense). That said, you're also beautiful with a bob, so you should go with what makes you happiest.

If you think you look less groomed with long hair, maybe try out a few different updos and see how you feel. It's possible to achieve a new look without cutting straight away.

wendylai
February 10th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Wow you have really delicate features and the bob does suit you terrificly.. However we are at a long hair board, and therefore I suggest you think of this as an opporturnity. I think layered (normally I would never recommend layeres but you seem to have really voluminous hair) BSL lenght would look great on you too. Maybe you simply are at this point at a lenght where you dont feel comfortable. Personally for me APL and waist seem to be the best lenghts I've tried this far. BSL and midback were... ugh :rolleyes:

Try different styles, up-do's, change your bangs maybe.. Perhaps growing them to the jaw-bone to frame your face would be good as that could bring out your features better?

Just my 2 cents..

Carolyn
February 10th, 2013, 04:40 AM
I vote for keeping it long. I think you look so much prettier with longer hair. Besides bobs are so ordinary.

Mesmerise
February 10th, 2013, 04:51 AM
It's hard to know what to advise! I think you should probably stick with growing your hair for now... as really, you can cut a bob anytime, but you can't get back what you've cut, if you know what I mean!

Do you have a particular goal length you're shooting for? If so, then I'd keep with it! The worst that can happen is it gets long and you don't like it, and then, of course, you can cut! However, once you've cut, you've got so much further from that long hair...

I think if you haven't reached a goal you won't know what it's like when you get there! The in between lengths can be VERY FRUSTRATING. I think there are a lot of people who quite like their hair short... and like their hair long... but loathe it when it's still in the growing phase. Unfortunately, you can't have the length without going through the in between times!

AnqeIicDemise
February 10th, 2013, 05:13 AM
practice a new updo! :D That's what I do. I also try not to obsess on how long its gotten or how long it hasn't been. Practice an up do, enjoy it, find other projects. I sometimes have to hide all my mirrors and avoid stepping into the bathroom to take a peek.

beryl
February 10th, 2013, 05:22 AM
I think your hair looks great both ways--but I guess that's not really helpful advice :( sorry!

If you like to wear your hair down but don't like how it looks you could try some half-ups, which might look more 'groomed'. My sister likes to wear her hair down (her hair's about your length) and to make herself look a bit more ... formal, I guess, she side-parts her hair and sometimes wears a headband or a clip with it. She also likes to take a strand or two of hair from just above her ears and clip them together at the back, which gives her a sort of elven look. (I like the elven look, being a Lord of the Rings fan :) )

By the way, your hair in a bob looks very much like Snow White's!

SnowWhite
February 10th, 2013, 05:54 AM
thank you so much for your replies! You've given me some wonderful advice. You're right, I should reach my goal length first. I'll probably feel happy then! My first goal is waist, but I'd like to reach tailbone eventually. I do want to cut layers but only when I'm at waist so it will look better. As for my bangs, I've been through the 'cut them/grow them out' - stages and it just also annoys me. I guess my hair is at the usual awkward length stage and that p*sses me off!!! I might try some new updos as you suggest it, to make it more bearable.

katiebeans
February 10th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I have to add my two cents here and say that long hair looks great on you :) Have you tried any pretty hair toys? That might make updos more fun for you.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM
You look lovely either way.

spidermom
February 10th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Do something different with it. I've been experimenting with roller sets lately. I am so sick of the way my air-dried hair looks.

SugarPlumDreams
February 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM
You look lovely both ways, but I slightly prefer the longer hair on you. Very pretty face and I think your bangs do a great job of highlighting this!

When I get the urge to cut, I give myself 10 days to think about it. Usually by then the urge has passed.

goldloli
February 10th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Imo, i think both lengths look great on you, esp the bob... then i realised why the bob looks better even though i dont care for bobs, its totally the bangs! I think side bangs are more flattering on your face. It looks as if you have a diamond shaped face and i think either short side bangs (like in 1st pic) or swoopy jaw length ones would be most flattering. i could really see you with zorro hair!

SnowWhite
February 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM
spidermom Yay great tip, I didn't thought about that yet!
goldloli You're right I prefer side bangs on myself... Should go for them..

kidari
February 10th, 2013, 06:42 PM
You should do what ever is going to make you the most happy. Personally I prefer the shorter cut on you actually- it really does suit you. You do look like Snow White! However, you have gotten this far and you don't want to have any big regrets. If you wear it up all the time anyway, maybe try growing it out more? I agree maybe grow out your bangs to chin length or maybe get some face-framing layers to emulate the shape of the shorter bob? I say really think about it before cutting at all though. Make sure it's something you really want.

HumanBean
February 10th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Experiment with doing your hair in a faked bob style. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube for how to do this with long hair.

march_sun
February 10th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Just wanted to say that you look beautiful either way!

maborosi
February 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I think you look great either way. I'd like to echo what others have said and say to do a bit of experimenting and have fun with your hair! After all, what's the point in growing long hair if you can't do anything with it that you enjoy?

~maborosi~

anitacs9101
February 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM
It's hard to know what to advise! I think you should probably stick with growing your hair for now... as really, you can cut a bob anytime, but you can't get back what you've cut, if you know what I mean!

Do you have a particular goal length you're shooting for? If so, then I'd keep with it! The worst that can happen is it gets long and you don't like it, and then, of course, you can cut! However, once you've cut, you've got so much further from that long hair...

I think if you haven't reached a goal you won't know what it's like when you get there! The in between lengths can be VERY FRUSTRATING. I think there are a lot of people who quite like their hair short... and like their hair long... but loathe it when it's still in the growing phase. Unfortunately, you can't have the length without going through the in between times!

^^ This! Give it time, I think that when you're really sure you want to cut it, you'll know. :)

Luminaria
February 11th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Sometimes I feel the same way. When I feel like cutting it short, it's about ease rather than a certain style. To stop myself from considering a chop, I think about my hair goal and how nice it would be to see my hair long . It helps alot because my hair has been short for most of my life and the longest it has been was a little above APL. I agree with you- your bob is beautiful! I think you look better with shorter hair. It has a cheerful/fun vibe and suits your face better than your picture with long hair. Try not to chop on impulse. Just take some time to think over what you want most and what hair length makes you feel happiest.

Angelica
February 11th, 2013, 06:56 AM
How about a compromise? How about a long bob? You're already nearly there actually. You won't have to lose a lot of the length and you could have the bob just past shoulder length or shoulder length. I had it done once and it was beautiful.

I don't think you need to cut, you are pretty in both photographs :)

Fyral
February 11th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Honestly i'm of two minds on this, on the one hand the long hair deffinetly does look much more feminine, and really VERY beautiful. I absolutely love it.

On the other hand I personally have a bit of a thing for that more androgynous/boyish look you have. so it is deffinetly my very biased opinion on it but I also really love that style on you.

Ultimately you look beautiful with both styles and ultimately I'm not sure if anyone here can really give you any proper advice on it. at the end of the day your the only person who has to see the style day in and day out (even a boyfriend or husband isn't guaranteed to see/notice it half as often as you do) and so you should keep your hair at the length that makes YOU the happiest.

SnowWhite
February 12th, 2013, 07:12 AM
*** edit ***

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Most of us get that urge from time to time. My advice? Don't do it! Every time I've cut my hair, I seriously regretted it afterwards!

torrilin
February 12th, 2013, 12:32 PM
You list your thickness as iii, and well... this is one of the tradeoffs with really thick hair. Updos are kind of a pain or even impossible at short lengths, and many of the really easy and comfortable buns can take waist or classic length hair.

I'd work on learning to braid. Thick hair can produce some impressive and beautiful braids, and a lot of braided styles are built around twin braids, so it's easier to get your hair to stay up.

minxe
February 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
You look really beautiful either way! It's just hair, don't stress too much over it. :)

RavenBaby
February 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure you can make a bob-look-alike hair style with long hair, search it on youtube. I suggest trying it out for a week straight to see how it feels before considering to cut.

Darkessa
February 12th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I personally think that the longer hair suits your face MUCH better! So gorgeous!
I prefer the longer hair on you, but of course, its always up to you.

2 week rule!!
Wait 2 weeks, see if you still want to cut it... If you do, go for it! If you dont, phew! Dodged a bullet.

jeanniet
February 12th, 2013, 02:45 PM
IMO, you look much better with longer hair, so I'd vote to keep it long. But the most important thing is what you want, so if a bob is really your style, maybe you should go for it until you decide that you really do want longer hair.