PDA

View Full Version : So I tried Feye's self trimming method...

Zindell
February 10th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I haven't been to a hairdresser for years since they always end up cutting more than I want.
For the past years my DD have trimmed my hair for me, but I don't want to bother her about it for the rest of my (hopefully long) life. :p

So yesterday I tried Feye's self trimming method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). I followed the instructions for the straight-across trim since that one seemed the easiest for a beginner. Buuut even when I tilted my head forward a lot per instructions I kept ending up with a slightly inverted V-trim? I tried this two times but with the same result. :confused:

Well, that didn't look quite okey so I went on to the V-shaped trim. That should even things up right?
Well... this method was even easier and NOW I ended up with a straight-across hemline! :o

Anyone else found that they had to adjust the methods for their own hair? (Or maybe I am just a weirdo hehee).

Thankfully I trimmed very little during those three tries so I got rid of about 4 cm hair, which was needed anyway.

Anyhows, I am very greatful that Feye put the instructions out for us all and I will keep do them when needed.
I want to get a slight U-shape eventually, but I'll wait until I mastered the other methods a bit more.

woolyleprechaun
February 10th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Yup, thats the mystery with Feyes self trim! I think some shapes may depend on the shape of your head....? I tend to go with a strong u shape as I am getting rid of damage, and the majority of the damage is in my front layers. Its taken an awful lot of practice to get the head tilt angles right. My best tip is to write down how you do each trim, being very specific about how you tilt, and document the results.
Oh, and theres a lady on you tube demonstrating feyes self trim. She uses scrunchies for the over the shoulder bits as well as the behind the back trim. I found that helped a lot! Good luck :)

Zindell
February 10th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Yup, thats the mystery with Feyes self trim! I think some shapes may depend on the shape of your head....? I tend to go with a strong u shape as I am getting rid of damage, and the majority of the damage is in my front layers. Its taken an awful lot of practice to get the head tilt angles right. My best tip is to write down how you do each trim, being very specific about how you tilt, and document the results.
Oh, and theres a lady on you tube demonstrating feyes self trim. She uses scrunchies for the over the shoulder bits as well as the behind the back trim. I found that helped a lot! Good luck :)

Thanks, good tip. I will document the trims so I can learn from my own mistakes. Since I trim so seldom it's easy to forget between the times.
I was thinking that maybe I had a weird bodyshape or something hahaa, but as you say, shape of our heads differ and certainly hairlines as well.

LornaDoone
February 10th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I do the straight across method. I can usually get it straight (or at least straight enough that my waves hide any unevenness). My problem is that the hair that is underneath doesn't get trimmed as much as the rest. This happens even when I look down. I don't know if it my waves, or the way I hold my head, but I end up with a section about four inches wide sticking out from under the rest of my hair. :confused: I usually end up trimming that bit separately.

katiebeans
February 10th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I'm very glad you posted this. I have her instructions bookmarked and plan on trimming my hair using the straight hemline method as soon as I buy a fancy pair of scissors. Knowing that the results can sometimes vary is useful information, because I can imagine myself having results similar to yours, and then freaking out at what I've done :p

I was wondering, though, are the results the same with side-parted hair? I didn't know if I would end up with a diagonal hemline or something lol.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I did it afew months before my no trims for a year. I had good luck with it.

Zindell
February 10th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear I am not the only one that has to adjust the method according to my own features. I guess it is a try and learn method. All in all it works very well though!

I was wondering, though, are the results the same with side-parted hair? I didn't know if I would end up with a diagonal hemline or something lol.

I have my hair parted in the middle, so I let someone else answer this question. :D

spidermom
February 10th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Feye's method always left me with one side longer than the other. So now I bring both sides forward and make a single ponytail right under my chin. Then I close a book over the length, slide it down, and cut straight across the bottom. I get a subtle U shape with this.

Well, actually, these days I'm going to a stylist, my DD's best friend. It's a fun outing for us to do together.

AnnaJamila
February 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I combine her u-method with an easy one for layers- flip over the head and follow the straight cut technique doing a point cut (instead of cutting a straight line hold the scissors at an angle and use the tip to cut into the hair making a sort of zig-zag, nothing too dramatic), then u-cut to thicken up the hem. This is the only way I like layers in my hair- if I don't follow with the u-cut the ends are see through which es no bueno.

MsBubbles
February 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I combine her u-method with an easy one for layers- flip over the head and follow the straight cut technique doing a point cut (instead of cutting a straight line hold the scissors at an angle and use the tip to cut into the hair making a sort of zig-zag, nothing too dramatic), then u-cut to thicken up the hem. This is the only way I like layers in my hair- if I don't follow with the u-cut the ends are see through which es no bueno.

:D LOL I am pretty sure I didn't understand 100% of this! I'm such a dummy with written directions sometimes. What kind of an 'angle' do you mean?

Zindell! I think we need an update pic from you ;). How long is your hair now? I also get the inverted U sometimes with the self trim. I think it might be the shape of my hairline at my nape, plus I have straight, fine thin hair so it shows up more.

I might try Spidermom's method next time. My hair is so slippery that I can't get the ponytail end over my shoulder without the tie slipping around. I have a huge taper thanks to 3 big sheds.

Zindell
February 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Zindell! I think we need an update pic from you ;). How long is your hair now?

Mmm yeah, I know. It's been forever since i updated my signature pic. I'll try to fix that soon. My hair has now passed BSL and I guess I'm somewhere near midback length now. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 11th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Feye's method always left me with one side longer than the other. So now I bring both sides forward and make a single ponytail right under my chin. Then I close a book over the length, slide it down, and cut straight across the bottom. I get a subtle U shape with this.

Well, actually, these days I'm going to a stylist, my DD's best friend. It's a fun outing for us to do together.

Spidermom your method sounds really good. Do you hold your head horizontal while you trim (and look in the mirror) or do you look down to see what you are doing?

Zindell
March 30th, 2013, 01:06 AM
So now I bring both sides forward and make a single ponytail right under my chin. Then I close a book over the length, slide it down, and cut straight across the bottom. I get a subtle U shape with this.

Thank you Spidermom! This works great! :D

I found that I still had a slightly inverted V in my hair and thought I'd try your method to fix it. I felt kind of funny standing there with my "beard". :p
My hair is much shorter than yours, only just passed BSL, so I didn't use a book but rather just flattened the hair between three fingers before trimming of about 2 cm.
Great result! It really did end up as a subtle U shape and I love how natural it looks!

I can't get a good pic with my mobile, but will have my DD take a photo soon.

jasper
March 30th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Feye's over one shoulder method gives me a "slanted to one side hem", so Spidermom's book trim works better for me too.

bunzfan
March 30th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I made a video how i do mine..i basically put hair ties all down the length and pull it over the shoulder.

Zindell
March 30th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I made a video how i do mine..i basically put hair ties all down the length and pull it over the shoulder.

I'd love it if you put a direct link to that video in this thread :)