PDA

View Full Version : 2 years!

Nevvie
February 9th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I spent my first year maintaining my length, trimming all growth, removing damage and thickening my ends. Cut way back on heat, added in lots of goodies and gentle care and it made a HUGE difference! I learned that my 'slow' growth was due to breakage. I didn't get splits, it just broke right off and stayed at a patchy BSL (the longest few bits at least) for years. Not only was my growth rate NOT slow, it was in fact very, very fast. Which makes sense I suppose since my mom and sisters have fast growth rates. They always complained and I used to be so jealous! By the end of the first year my hair was the same length (lower BSL) but looked longer due to the fact that my ends were thicker so more of them reached that length. I was beyond thrilled with my progress even though I'd gained no length.

The second year was intended to be pure growth but it didn't exactly work out that way. I spent about 3 months transitioning and getting used to not trimming as much. I was so used to blunt, thick, freshly trimmed ends that it was more difficult than I thought it'd be. For the first couple months I was trimming less but probably still half my growth. Lucky for me my hair grows fast and is at it's fastest in winter/spring so I did still see enough gain not to get discouraged. Around May or so I'd FINALLY nipped the trimming obsession and was able to start properly growing with just a tiny microtrim every 2-3 weeks. Summer growth was much, much faster than usual, I didn't get my normal huge shed and by Fall I'd reached waist plus a little but the ends were a bit patchy and uneven. That's just how my hair grows - half grows insanely fast, the other half more average leading to weird, false fairy tale like ends. I trimmed back to a little above waist and then a month later got bored and redid my hemline from blunt to U shaped that at that point fell to just about my waist exactly.

Then I got pregnant again. I've stopped shedding pretty much completely. My growth rate is also pretty good but the health is suffering. I'm off all hair related supplements/vitamins and stopped using certain products and oils as well. After losing 5 babies I'm just not chancing anything. I still deep condition, henna/indigo (much less frequently though), handle gently and use certain oils. My hair is dry, dry, dry. The ends are breaking and splitting again. If you look at the pic closely you can see them tangling and getting caught on each other and my shirt. They don't lay smooth anymore due to breakage. It looks like I'll be trimming back an inch or two (maybe just to waist exactly - if I can find it, lol) and possibly maintaining again for a while to try to get ahead of the damage. I'll probably have a huge shed in a few months anyways so I may as well keep it as nice, neat and healthy as possible. It's just a little frustrating because I'm sooooo close to goal of hip length, my growth rate is amazing yet I probably won't be getting there anytime soon - at least not in a condition I'd want to reach goal in. This was supposed to be my year darn it!

With luck I'll be where I want to be by this time next year and my hair will have recovered and be back to healthy and smooth. A girl can hope anyways :cool:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2506&d=1360432769

*BelievingAgain
February 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Wow Nevvie congratulations! I can see such a huge difference with your ends and overall thickness (length obviously too)... well done! :applause

Addy
February 9th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Your hair has recovered nicely! I hope that by next year, you are hip and holding the love of your life on that hip! :)

ghost
February 9th, 2013, 09:22 PM
What a difference! I think your hair looks good.

rock007junkie
February 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Wow, great progress! Hair looks really beautiful

HumanBean
February 9th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Congrats on the progress and the pregnancy.

wendylai
February 10th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Great progress! Your hair is so thick and shiny..

sakuraemily
February 10th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Looks great!!
losing 5 babies is very very scary....take care

woolyleprechaun
February 10th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Your hair is absolutely stunning :)
Congratulations on your pregnancy, too!

Mischamiu
February 10th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Amazing! Congrats

melusine963
February 10th, 2013, 02:46 AM
You have amazingly thick hair! Congratulations on all your progress. :)

lunalocks
February 10th, 2013, 09:27 AM
What an amazing transformation!!!!My best wishes to you for a healthy baby.

SugarPlumDreams
February 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Whoa! Gorgeous! You're the poster child for what TLC can do for your hair!

Congratulations! :)

kitschy
February 10th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Beautiful! You should be very proud of that head of hair!

Kwantslonghair
February 10th, 2013, 09:57 AM
WOW! It looks great!

lapushka
February 10th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Wow! You sure came a long way. Nice! :D

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Your hair looks great. It's grown quite well. Now you're ready for the next step that's to grow.