PDA

View Full Version : Need a short vintage hairstyle suggestion!

halfbakedtulip
February 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM
I am taking part in a vintage Valentines Day Ladies night. Basically there will be vintage clothes, a vintage lingerie fashion show, food, wine etc etc... I would really like to do something fabulously vintage with my hair but of course I just cut it all off and so am at a loss. Pic of length is in my siggy. It is a one length bob. I am ok with using heat for this (I think) if I have to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

katiebeans
February 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM
The first thing that came to my mind were those really cute coifs that women wore in the front (at least I think that is what they are called) like this:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly0p0rLqb21qa8wlco1_500.jpg

Maybe YouTube will have some helpful tutorials. There are tons of ideas if you search Google Images. I hope we can expect pics of what you decide to do! I love vintage hairstyles.

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Id try the fedora lounge it's a vintage website.

Thinthondiel
February 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM
The first thing that comes to mind when you say vintage and bob is the bobbed hairstyles of the 20's and 30's. I don't really do 20's/30's hair (although I did an approximation of it once for a friend), but I'd suggest googling images of 20's/30's bobs and seeing if some of the hairstyles seem like something you'd be able to do with your hair. There are different styles: straight, wavy and curly, and the waves/curls may look somewhat soft and natural or more "stylized" (finger waves/marcel waves, spit curls etc).

If your your hair isn't too short, it should also be possible to do 40's victory rolls, such as in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGWqMx81ZM, but unless you're used to rolling your hair and positioning/pinning victory rolls, it may take some practice.

spirals
February 10th, 2013, 12:49 AM
My first thought was victory rolls. Love 'em. The easiest way to do it is to take a 1" curling iron--cold--and clamp and roll up like usual. Then, while pinching the roll with one hand, use the other to gently slide the iron out. Arrange it carefully before pinning. If you're really good with your hands, you can roll it around your fingers. But the iron gives you more control.

browneyedsusan
February 10th, 2013, 10:55 AM
IMHO, pincurls are a little easier than victory rolls, but that's just me!
Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0jFweiHuY Your hair is long enough to pin up the front in a fun way! You could wear a side part and put a pincurl or victory roll on each side?
I have also used a pincurl "set", to get a vintage look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKVFr-NtIM I think the lady in this video has hair about as long as yours, but hers is straight. I don't know if that will make a difference in how your set comes out?

I have 3 pincurls in my hair today --I put it up for church this morning--, and left the back down. The front of my hair reaches to my lips, so you've got a little more to work with than I do? One of the elderly ladies said how much she loved my hair, and that I reminded her of her mother. She was almost overcome with emotion. I just had to share that. She was so sweet!

halfbakedtulip
February 10th, 2013, 12:55 PM
First let me thank you all so very very much!!! I love all of your suggestions and wow some of those styles are super cute! I am also currently in heaven in the Fedora Lounge Jacqueline ♥

I should have said when I made this thread that the show was last night. I watched a lot of youtube videos and while some were great (all of yours!) some left me wanting to hug my hair and apologize that it had to watch the torture eek! I ended up doing a faux bang roll (which I have never tried before eek!) and made a poof/bump at the crown. I put a kerchief on with a bow. I was going to add a photo but it won't let me upload to here, my album or my blog on here .

Anyway I want to thank you all so much and even though I am done this show I think from now on I will do my hair for every show. I LOVED it!!

browneyedsusan
February 11th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I'm sure you looked great! (To share a pic, you have to add it to a photoshare site like Flickr, first. Then you can share it with us.) :)