PDA

View Full Version : Sleep cap logistics- help?

TheLuckyLurker
February 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I have a satin sleep cap I'm trying to use (I have a satin pillow case, but since I need to pull my blankets over my head to stay warm it only works on one side). My problem is how to wear my hair under it. I usually sleep in an english braid, but it's too long to fit comfortably under the cap (it's really more like a bonnet, but you know). It ended up in an awkward kind of fold thingy, which was almost as uncomfortable as the cap itself was, since I wear it in such a way that it leaves my ears uncovered because I can't stand to have anything on my ears like that.

If the info helps at all, I sleep on my side, and I can not sleep in a bun; I tried that already once before.

So, how do you longhairs wear your hair under a sleep cap?

Zesty
February 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I just wear mine loose. If you sleep on your side it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I put it in a LWB without securing for the sake of getting all my length in, and it comes undone inside the cap. When I sleep on my back I just push the hair to the side or it spreads out enough that it doesn't bother me. On my side, it's no problem at all. Is there a reason you feel like you need to do something with it under the cap?

neko_kawaii
February 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I coil my hair up around my hand until I am almost at scalp and then I drop the coils into the cap and slip the cap on. Once the cap is comfortably secured I hold it so it can't shake loose and shake my head side to side a little to loosen the coils more.

TheLuckyLurker
February 8th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I just wear mine loose. If you sleep on your side it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I put it in a LWB without securing for the sake of getting all my length in, and it comes undone inside the cap. When I sleep on my back I just push the hair to the side or it spreads out enough that it doesn't bother me. On my side, it's no problem at all. Is there a reason you feel like you need to do something with it under the cap?

Well, last night I had to keep it braided because I'd washed it, and the only way my hair is manageable is if I braid it damp and keep it that way until it dries completely. Since it's dry now (finally, after almost 24 hours) I'll try your way and see how it goes.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I normally just twist it lightly as if I was doing a French pleat and allow my hair to flop into it upside down. There is a clip on You tube about how to wear a sleeping cap and she has almost knee length hair I think - she demonstrates how she puts all her hair in her cap.

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I braid mine put it up under the cap.

TheLuckyLurker
February 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Well, last night I had to keep it braided because I'd washed it, and the only way my hair is manageable is if I braid it damp and keep it that way until it dries completely. Since it's dry now (finally, after almost 24 hours) I'll try your way and see how it goes.

Success!! It won't really help me on wash day, but I can live with one night of moderate discomfort if the result is better hair.