PDA

View Full Version : Hair ties left on wrist cuts off circulation??

SGBSteve
February 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Some of you may be thinking "Duh!" right now but I'm new to long hair so cut me some slack please... :confused:

I just recently started putting my hair in a ponytail since its just long enough to do now. I've noticed some people will have hair ties on their wrist when they aren't in their hair (or maybe they keep extras as backups if one breaks). So today I got home from work, took my hair out of the ponytail, put the hair tie around my wrist and then took a nap... Now my wrist has a purplish indentation from the circulation being cut off which is still slightly visible about an hour later. It also itched really bad for several minutes but thank god that went away!

Is this a normal thing for people who wear hair ties on their wrists or is it because mine are still new so they are really tight?

jojo
February 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I do it, im still alive :)

Lyv
February 8th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I get an indent when I have mine around my wrist but it doesn't cut off my circulation, if I didn't have really small wrists they might though lol (new hair ties anyway). I wouldn't wear them if they are that tight though, maybe after they've stretched a little it will be more comfortable.

Green Eyes
February 8th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I have that problem , my hair is soooo fine that I have to use the very small ones n have noticed the leave marks on my wrists to perhaps we using ones that are too tight lol

Khiwanean
February 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I get the indent, but I don't think it really cuts off the circulation, even if it can be uncomfortable. Actually, right now I have one on each wrist and only the round one manages to roll up my arm and leave and indent. The other one I have on my wrist right now is flat so I don't have any problem with it. I suppose if your wrists are thick enough or your hair ties were small enough you could still get the indent without the hair tie rolling up at all though.

SGBSteve
February 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Well I do have pretty thick wrists. Especially compared to a woman's. So maybe that combined with the ties being so new is why it was so uncomfortable in my case.

I'm just going to hold off on doing that for a while and I probably wont do it before going to sleep anymore.

Mandie
February 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Perhaps seek larger hair ties, or stretch one out before wearing it? I get the indentations too, but never a feeling of no circulation just discomfort/itchiness from the pressure.

Anabell
February 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Well, it won't cut the circulation completely. Not from an elastic. And if it does, you will notice. believe me. but it can leave some marks on your wrist and make it feel uncomfortable if the hair tie is new or too small. anyway, you can always use a scrunchy.

KwaveT
February 8th, 2013, 04:28 PM
My wrists have more of a medium circumference somewhere between most men and women and scrunchies don't come close to being too tight. I am staying away from metal elastics too. I am so fumble fingered with using hair ties that I could end up pulling my hair against the metal of some of those hair ties. I am new to ponytailing too. I succeeded with doing it a couple of days ago even though my hair has been long enough for weeks.

whylime13
February 8th, 2013, 04:39 PM
depends on the size of the tie and the size of your wrist. I can't leave the ones I use on my wrist for more than a few minutes before my hand gets uncomfortably cold and tingly - it's inconvenient at times, but there are worse problems to have.

browneyedsusan
February 8th, 2013, 04:39 PM
LOL! You poor thing! DD did the same thing when her hair got long. She couldn't figure out why her wrists were bumply and itchy. I stated the obvious, and she laughed really hard, and quit putting them on her wrists! I think she thought she had an exotic disease or something!

I am very fine-boned, so they don't bother me at all, but don't think there is a grown man alive who would be comfortable with those things around his wrists! FWIW, I don't usually carry them on my wrists, but I have backups in my purse, in the car, in my jacket pocket, in my lunch pail..... :)

Gumball
February 8th, 2013, 05:12 PM
When I used to carry ties around and I didn't have a bag with me, usually I had one in my wallet. I figured if I wasn't using it then that was a better place to keep it from stretching out prematurely. When I did wear one around my wrist, albeit very rarely, I didn't lose the hand. :) I'd equate it to the same markings you get after a day of wearing socks.

torrilin
February 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM
My wrist joint measures around 6.5", which is relatively small given my size. Most men have substantially larger wrists than me, even if their hands aren't much larger... in a lot of glove brands, women's gloves don't come in a large enough size for me, but men's do.

Even so, a totally unused ponytail holder will give me a pretty hefty indent on my wrist. Generally I don't wear new hair ties on my wrist, only ones that have been used a bit and have stretched some. If I do wear a new one, it's a temporary thing as part of fixing up my hair.

I will often have a ponytail holder or three on my wrists, precisely because I don't like losing the nicely stretched out ones, and if they're on my wrists they won't disappear. But it's not a daily thing, more a "I took my hair out of braids, so the ponytail holders went on my wrists for storage" thing.

scorpio17910
February 8th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Personally, I can't even have a new elastic on my wrist for a few seconds. Granted I have a ridiculously large wrist for a woman -- big-boned. In any event, I solve the problem by purposely stretching any new elastics I get so they're big enough that they don't cut off my circulation. This may not work for you because (1) I don't use them for ponytails very often and (2) your hair is much shorter than mine, but it's an option. :)

Avital88
February 8th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Yes dont sleep with them! I only have this when i forget to take them off before sleep

DancingQueen
February 9th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I think the elastic might have been too small or tight for your wrist. Personally, I prefer to keep extras in my pocket or my bag. I don't have to get annoyed with having it around my wrist, and the elastic will 'live' longer, as it won't be stretched out. :)

AnqeIicDemise
February 9th, 2013, 03:12 AM
The only time I have a problem with blood flow is when the band itself is too small, chiefly with brand new hair ties that I slip onto my wrist with the idea of putting it on quickly when finishing a braid, twist, etc. The issue is I often *forget* I have a brand new pony tail holder on my wrist... I'm incredibly inneficiently efficient. I'll go looking for the hair tie and get another one. Hours later my hand's sore and tingly. I can't fathom why. I frown and stare at my hands, my arms, often times even roll up my sleeves, roll them down and back up before I realize my mistake.

I've been known to fall asleep and wake up with tingly fingertips. Though I'm guessing my tingling issues is only made worse by my carpal tunnel.

Neneka
February 9th, 2013, 04:33 AM
I have heard a scary urban legend about this. A girl kept hair tie around her wrist overnight and in the morning the hand as all black and weird. Girld took the hair band off and her mother took her to a doctor. The doctor said that the girl shouldn't have removed the tie around her wrist and now she had maybe two hours to live because of all the the clotted blood that went to her blood circulation. shudder:

I don't think the story is true but if the tie felt uncomfortable I wouldn't wear it around the wrist. :)

Juanita
February 9th, 2013, 04:46 AM
I do this but I have small thin wrists so don't have a problem.
Wishing the rest of me was small and thin to match. Lol

SGBSteve
February 9th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Yeah believe me I won't be doing that anymore. At least until they stretch out a little more or if I find some larger hair ties.

PolarCathy
February 9th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Oh I've lost a couple of limbs to hair ties. :rollin:

Nah, seriously, unless it's a handcuff, I think it will stretch way before it really damages your tissues that much, and/or cuts your circulation.

QMacrocarpa
February 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM
My wrists can't stand much of anything around them for long. I never wear my watch on my wrist, and it's doesn't even have a squeezy band. A hair elastic on my wrist would make me miserable. What I did when I wore hair elastics more was to keep a couple in the coin pocket of my jeans. I also like the wallet idea: that would involve even less fussing, since I could just leave one parked there for months in case of emergency.

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I've never had that problem I'm lucky.

Dovetail
February 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I get indents sometimes as the push up my wrist to my forearm, I have really skinny wrists though. I would think you might be better off just getting a carabiner and tossing them on that when you're not using them.

samanthaj08
February 9th, 2013, 10:18 AM
When I buy mine, I put them around a lotion bottle to stretch out a little before using them. They make my wrists itch from tightness like yours do.

katiebeans
February 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I haven't had this problem in a while, until just the other day I went to sleep with the first hair elastic from a brand new pack on my wrist. Woke up with this weird swollen issue underneath my thumb, but I lived! Needless to say if it isn't in my hair, it isn't on my wrist anymore.