PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut: that is the question...

MidnightStar
February 8th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Some background: my goal length is classic, and I'm currently at "can I call this classic." My hair is 1c/F/ii/iii and tangles so easy. I wore it down yesterday and in the course of sitting in a meeting for about 20 minutes, I had tangles that were practically matting up. And "cutting" to me would mean cutting back to waist or possibly hip, nothing really short.
I miss being able to wear my hair down. I can't do it anymore, because of the severe tangle issue. Probably the last 3 - 5 inches of my hair are damaged, not so badly that I can't deal with it, but from chemical dyes, etc. from before I found LHC.
Here is a picture from last month, showing the length (the ends look a bit raggedy because I had just washed and hadn't brushed out):
http://imageshack.us/a/img171/8276/lengthpicjanuary132013.jpg
I wear it up nearly every day. I am usually okay with that, because I work in a professional environment and I think it looks more professional to wear it up. But I'd love to be able to wear it down sometimes without needing to set aside twenty minutes after I get back home to untangle the mess.
Cutting Pros: when it's shorter like that, I could wear it down more often; it's still long at those lengths; in reality, it's getting more difficult for me to deal with the length as it gets longer.
Cutting Cons: first big cut in over 2 years; since it'd be several inches, I would likely need to see a professional and I doubt they'd be able to do exactly what I want; giving up the classic goal.
My current routine is Toadstool shampoo, a conditioner like VO5 or whatever I have in the shower, and then the Toadstool leave-in before I comb out. I think the tangling comes from a moisture issue, but my hair's so fine that too much weighs it down. I can't co-wash, I've finally come to that conclusion, and I can't use SLS-type shampoos on a regular basis because they make my scalp itch like crazy, so cones are usually out too.
So...suggestions? Do I just need more moisture? Am I just frustrated and being vain? I'm thinking that it's pointless to grow out my hair if I'm constantly going to wear it up, I might as well cut a pixie if that's the case. But every time I've ever cut my hair in my whole life, I've hated it...I just don't know what to do!

sarelis
February 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM
And this is why we have the two week rule! :D Live with it for two weeks, evaluate how you really feel about it, then make your decision :)

Darkessa
February 8th, 2013, 02:11 PM
If you have just a blunt hemline, or wish to have a blunt hemline, cutting it yourself would be very simple! Even if you wanted a U or V shaped.
Just use Feyes method, I find it suuuuper easy and not intimidating in the slightest!

But if I were in your shoes, I would just trim a little bit at a time.
If its driving you crazy, it wont hurt to just do a few microtrims to get closer to the healthy hair you wish to have.

Start small, and cut more if you feel like you need to!

spidermom
February 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I can only tell you what I would do, which is cut back several inches. I hate fighting with damaged ends more than I hate shorter hair.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Id trim small like to hip then I'd see if that helps. If not go shorter but please think about it for two weeks.

minxe
February 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Just cut it.

akilina
February 8th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I say two week rule also...but if you have been thinking about it for a while its possible you should just do it. I don't think its necessary to chop so much though.
Maybe start with 3 inches. That is just 6 short months of growth so its not like you are losing several years of growth. You might be surprised at how much it helps.
If you are nervous, is it possible for you to trim it yourself? I know how to cut hair very well...so its not an issue for me at all. Maybe you could do something like brush/comb everything nice and evenly so there are no tangles and put a pony tail holder in and slide it all the way down to where you want to cut.
Im not sure how Spidermom does hers exactly but I'm pretty sure she does hers and uses a book to help her get an even cut :] If I remember correctly..
There is also the creaclip..I have never used one myself or even seen one but it would really help you. I have heard they are great for self trims.
If you are not comfortable do you know anyone who could help you out??

If you do go see a hair dresser make your point VERY strong. Tell them exactly what you want, and make sure they repeat it back to you and show you the exact length they are taking off. Do not just say "oh I want all the dead cut off" THAT right there is where people end up getting 10 inches cut off of their hair sometimes. Also saying "just a trim" and not specifying how much you want off is bad.
Let them know your hair is very important to you and that you are trying to grow it to ______length. Also, if you are looking....throw it out there that you are looking for a stylist who can accommodate your goals that you can stick with, and that you can trust with your hair, even if its only once every 6 months for a tiny trim.

MidnightStar
February 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) I am definitely leaning toward cutting to hip at this point. I trimmed off about an inch on my own earlier after I posted, and it does feel better. I don't have a hairdresser friend I can trust to help me, but I've found that by going to the less expensive places the hairdressers there tend to do more what I want rather than having their own "vision" for what I should look like. I'll also investigate some self-trimming methods; what I need done is pretty specific and even with being very firm and clear I'm not sure I could get someone to understand (my hair grows at a taper, and the shortest taper is right at hip, so I just want it evened up to that at this point).

Zesty
February 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'd probably cut. It's not worth it if you're not enjoying it. And getting rid of your damaged ends means that if you decide you want to try for classic again, you'd be able to do it with fresh, damage-free ends. Seems like a win-win to me, whether you decide to keep it short or continue growing.

goldloli
February 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I'd go to BCL/butt dimple length, then micro trim every month after that. It's just my own observation, but after lopping a lot off, by the time it grows back it's often still tapered due to wear.

lapushka
February 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM
If the ends weren't damaged, I'd definitely say: 2 week rule. But not with damaged ends, especially if they tangle a lot. Yeah, if I were you I'd cut back to hip or waist.

RavenBaby
February 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I think you should start with getting a tiny bit off and then going from there if you really want more off instead of going for a big chop to waist.

Icialine
February 8th, 2013, 05:14 PM
When I've had this problem, I would trim off an inch after every shampoo until my hair stopped giving me grief. That way you never cut too much off, only what couldn't be restored.
I have hair that can easily tangle but I've found that putting a bit of oil or frizz serum on the ends every morning prevents most of that ( I've used lighter silicone serum like Biosilk (about 30$) and for a couple of months Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Moroccan oil treatment (about 5$) ).

GrowingGlory
February 8th, 2013, 06:51 PM
You could maintain at this length (through regular trims), reach your length goal then maintain while your hem thickens, or have it cut now. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

MidnightStar
February 8th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Okay, my mom said she'd help me cut it to the length I want. She used to cut it for me when I was a kid, and I know she'll be super careful because she doesn't want to listen to me complaining for the next few years or whatever. :) I'm going to start with hip length, maintain for a bit, and go from there. I don't want to go really short, but since I'm not happy with it right now it makes more sense to cut. So we'll see. Thanks to everyone!!

lapushka
February 8th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Okay, my mom said she'd help me cut it to the length I want. She used to cut it for me when I was a kid, and I know she'll be super careful because she doesn't want to listen to me complaining for the next few years or whatever. :) I'm going to start with hip length, maintain for a bit, and go from there. I don't want to go really short, but since I'm not happy with it right now it makes more sense to cut. So we'll see. Thanks to everyone!!

Good luck! And keep us posted! :D

Mesmerise
February 8th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I think it depends on how much you want classic length hair! It's a nice goal, but not always practical for everyone, especially those who like to wear their hair down on occasion.

Personally, I really like hair that's hip to TBL in length, so if I was in a situation where my hair got too long for me to really enjoy down, I'd probably cut to there.

But then again, I've never really wanted classic either (my ultimate goal is hip, maybe TBL because I don't know how I'll feel when I get there).

If you're really not sure, start by getting 2" cut off. If you feel some regret, then you'll be glad you didn't go further, and you're only a few months behind in your growing.

MidnightStar
February 9th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I definitely don't want to do anything drastic, so I'll probably start with the trimming a little bit at a time. I'd made a goal of classic length because I felt like that would make my hair finally feel long, but it feels pretty long right now! Slow and steady, then. :)

Majala
February 9th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I don't like to have damaged hair and I would always sacrifice length for healthy hair. But I second those who said to take time and think about it carefully.