PDA

View Full Version : Buns that make your hair look bigger? Help me fineys!

ArienEllariel
February 7th, 2013, 07:32 PM
My buns are really puny, even though I'm almost waist. All my hair, though it's average thickness is fine and easily compactable. I can't make a decent braided bun yet and even my cinnabun looks tiny (less than the size of my closed fist). :/ Are there any tricks other than a sock bun to make a bigger looking bun?

neko_kawaii
February 7th, 2013, 07:53 PM
For braided buns I try to make the braid lay flat and edge to edge (no over laps in the coils) and that gives a bun of larger diameter. I find that I can do most buns without much twisting and they will be bigger. Biggest buns are achieved by bunning tangled hair (as in it was down for some reason and couldn't be combed before bunning). Have you tried a Vortex Bun?

Sylvestrix
February 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I second the suggestion for a vortex bun! Especially a rope braided vortex, those mothers are huge. My hair is thick, but when I was above BSL I could do avortex with four ropes that covered the entire back of my head- plus, they're really comfy because they don't have a lot of depth, so they don't get in the way of headrests, or lying down, etc =]

Goodwyfe
February 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I need a bun to make my buns look bigger. I've always wished I was curvier! ;-)

shutterpillar
May 31st, 2013, 02:51 PM
I would like to bump this and see if there are any other ideas out there. I'm getting frustrated with my puny looking buns and would like to know if anyone has any new ideas. :)

All my friends say "oh, you just need to tease it!" and I refuse to. There is no way I could tease my bun every time I put my hair up... the amount of damage that would occur is horrifying.

Kherome
May 31st, 2013, 03:00 PM
You need the Artemis bun.

AspenSong
May 31st, 2013, 03:10 PM
My hair is nearly classic, but being F and i....I still can't do much for big buns! However, usually a chinese bun kind of makes my hair look like there's at least a little more than there is! And even though I can only pull off about one of every 6 tries - a lazy wrap bun usually looks a bit bigger as well for me. I'm sort of stuck otherwise myself. I get incredibly discouraged and tend to just do my itty bitty nautilus or bee butt bun everyday since I can't get much else to look right.

Vrindi
May 31st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Braid your hair first, then unbraid and bun it with braid waves. Instant poofier hair.

Try a rolled sock bun, not just a regular sock bun. They're huge. I can't even do them with my hip-length hair anymore because they're the size of my head.

Try a braided bun with multiple, loose braids and rope braids. If the braids are loose, they will poof more, but stay together, so you don't get the compression from twisting, but it's not just loose hair.

Try some parandas. Even if you leave it loose and just do a cinnabun with some pretty color streaks, or make a paranda close to your natural hair color, it will thicken the bun. Secure it to your ponytail with a tie for loose styles and then bun like normal.

furnival
May 31st, 2013, 03:47 PM
A fairly loose Lazy Wrap bun using a fork looks hefty on me.

shutterpillar
May 31st, 2013, 04:19 PM
Great ideas, everyone! Thank you. :) We're going out this weekend and now I have quite a few things to experiment with.

Xi
May 31st, 2013, 04:28 PM
Put your hair into one or two French braids, then bun. The foundation of the French braid gives me something to wrap wider around... Kind of hard to explain, but you'll notice a wider bun when you do it. And keep the coils flat side-by-side (pin each loop as you go), rather than stacked. A looser bun with a many-pronged fork may also work. And finally... try to embrace the concept of lovely delicate buns. My hair is hovering around classic, and no one would guess it from the modest size of my bun. I do get compliments on it, though -- guess size isn't everything... ;)

jacqueline101
May 31st, 2013, 04:39 PM
I think the braided bun made my hair look bigger.

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2013, 11:14 PM
I've even though I'm just APL, I've used a figure eight bun to fill up the tines of a large fork (I stuck the fork on the underside of the coil not through the holes of the 8. If I had more length to work with I would imagine that would be even better, seeing how I pulled the loops apart to fill up the FPL more on the fork.

DancingQueen
June 1st, 2013, 12:58 AM
Try a braided bun with multiple, loose braids and rope braids. If the braids are loose, they will poof more, but stay together, so you don't get the compression from twisting, but it's not just loose hair.

Try some parandas. Even if you leave it loose and just do a cinnabun with some pretty color streaks, or make a paranda close to your natural hair color, it will thicken the bun. Secure it to your ponytail with a tie for loose styles and then bun like normal.

This is GENIUS!!! As soon as I get home, I am trying this out; I don't have any parandas, but I do have some very thin, beautiful silk scarfs. Thank you! :)

MsBubbles
June 1st, 2013, 08:41 AM
For the record, the nautilus bun helps spread some of the hair real-estate that I have in length but not thickness, more evenly over the back of my head (I just only twist once over, leave the tail hanging, pull the bun part through then wrap the tail around at the end).

The equilibrium bun also makes the most of my long, thin length of hair (with no bulk). I can actually morph it into a fake figure 8 type thing, and when I put in a 5" acrylic stick, it actually is almost too short! Gasp! That one covers from the top of the back of my head to the bottom of my hairline at the nape.

ETA: Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe it's a 100% fine-haired thing, but braided buns make my hair squish down even more. I get the opposite effect from what so many of you here are saying about it. But I am 100% fine-haired with zero body/wave, so maybe that's it.

mzBANGBANG
June 1st, 2013, 09:04 AM
What about using a foam donut/sock bun? I do that any time I feel like impressing people :D

bunzfan
June 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
A braided bun always make a updo look bigger on me as does the nautilus and hopefully the longer it gets the bigger it will be...my flipped bun still looks tiny but i live in hope it will improve.

alexis917
June 1st, 2013, 09:42 AM
What about using a foam donut/sock bun? I do that any time I feel like impressing people :D
I was going to suggest the sock bun, as well.
My hair's thick, but I've seen tons of people doing it and I think it makes their hair look much bigger!

PraiseCheeses
June 1st, 2013, 12:18 PM
MsBubbles, you beat me to it. :p A widely-spread nautilus bun, held with two sticks for stability, gives me a nice full bun. The second stick also helps spread it a bit more.

On the other hand, a braided bun makes my hair collapse into itself like a neutron star. Must try some of the aforementioned coiling techniques...

QMacrocarpa
June 1st, 2013, 03:59 PM
The variation in results is interesting! On me an equilibrium bun is quite petite, perhaps my twist is tighter or something. Buns that I find bulkier-looking include the Gibraltar bun (perhaps because I do it pretty loose and squashy), the split bun, and at least sometimes the lazy wrap. Before I could make a braided bun work, I liked to do the double-braided bun, where you make two braids, one with the top half of your hair and the other with the bottom half, and then pin the top braid into a fairly flat bun and pin the bottom braid around it. That was the bun that made an acquaintance ask me just how long my hair had gotten (a moment I cherish!:)).

Phalaenopsis
June 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM
On the other hand, a braided bun makes my hair collapse into itself like a neutron star. Must try some of the aforementioned coiling techniques...

About the braided buns. I see it a lot in youtube videos lately to pull on the strands of the braid to make it look big and poofy. Maybe it can help. On the other hand, when having slippery hair, it's not that easy to do

MsBubbles
June 1st, 2013, 08:49 PM
About the braided buns. I see it a lot in youtube videos lately to pull on the strands of the braid to make it look big and poofy. Maybe it can help. On the other hand, when having slippery hair, it's not that easy to do

Yeah. I haven't yet been able to pull my braids to make them poofier - the strands just slide right back to where they were. I partly wish I could do this but I feel like I'd have to really rough up my hair to achieve that.

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm going to jump in again and second the person who said Artemis bun. I took a much closer look at the way 4ypnotica did it on her youtube video, and it's clearly designed to create a poofy, dynamic bun for those with hair on the finer side. I was doing this bun before, but forking it wrong, if my intention was to create a bigger looking bun. I'm going to watch the video a few more times and practice practice practice.

Neneka
June 2nd, 2013, 01:08 AM
I have seen some giant hair donuts for sock buns in stores. They are huge! I thought I will try to make one as it is propably the only way for me to make a big bun. I don't mind cheating a little. ;)

Angelica
June 2nd, 2013, 06:08 AM
For the record, the nautilus bun helps spread some of the hair real-estate that I have in length but not thickness, more evenly over the back of my head (I just only twist once over, leave the tail hanging, pull the bun part through then wrap the tail around at the end).

The equilibrium bun also makes the most of my long, thin length of hair (with no bulk). I can actually morph it into a fake figure 8 type thing, and when I put in a 5" acrylic stick, it actually is almost too short! Gasp! That one covers from the top of the back of my head to the bottom of my hairline at the nape.

ETA: Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe it's a 100% fine-haired thing, but braided buns make my hair squish down even more. I get the opposite effect from what so many of you here are saying about it. But I am 100% fine-haired with zero body/wave, so maybe that's it.

You have really beautiful hair. My hair is 100% fine also and zero body wave, poker straight. Braided buns do not work for me, makes my bun teeny. I love the foam doughnut rings though, they really work :)

AspenSong
June 2nd, 2013, 08:39 AM

I'm with you on the braided buns. I have the same issue there. I'm like you - no wave, no nothing in mine!! And bunwaves don't poof mine out much either. I'm just destined for puny hair myself. haha.

Paranda Belle
June 2nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Use a smaller hair toy that you usually do. Your bun won't be bigger but you will ave the illusion of a bigger bun. Bit like the baggy jumper over leggings trick!

MaRo
June 2nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
did you know the angel-bun?
http://s802.photobucket.com/user/theGingerBee/media/Redhead/SDC11621.mp4.html

Seeshami
June 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Sock bun and Paranda bun seconded. A Hairagami bun. The lazy wrap and the Chinese bun.

Silverbrumby
June 2nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Sock bun and Paranda bun seconded. A Hairagami bun. The lazy wrap and the Chinese bun.

I've used real hair clip in pieces from China on eBay when I'm in the moid for a bigger bum or braids. They are harmless for a short time period.

Anje
June 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Sock buns are good, but don't go overboard. If your hair's on the thinner side, it can easily get difficult to cover a sock (especially one that doesn't match your hair).

Infinity buns aren't huge, but they spread the hair into an elongated shape, so they can look bigger than a round bun that collapses in on itself.