PDA

View Full Version : Thickness and body thanks to LHC!

silverthread
February 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM
When I joined last May, I had 2-1/4" circumference pony tail, I was shedding a lot, and it seemed like my hair never grew. My hair was blah, dried out, and had no body. With all the wisdom I've gleaned from this site, I've learned the proper way to care for my hair. My layers are gone now, I shed very little, and I've discovered a head full of 2a body-ful hair!;) When I put my hair in a pony tail now, there is no scalp show-through whatsoever. All I have left to do is grow out my fringe, and maintain the health of my hair. My ultimate goal is BSL.

Anyway, tonight, I wanted to see how thick my pony was, so I measured it. It's now 3" around. Just for the heck of it, I also measured the circumference of the fringe that won't reach my pony tail yet, and was surprised to find it was 1-1/2" around! I wonder if that means when my fringe grows out, that my pony tail will be 4-1/2" circumference!?

All I know is, I could not have achieved such an improvement without the wonderful resources and advice on LHC. For all of you who have just joined and are feeling discouraged, stick around! The information and tips on this site will not let you down.

Thanks, LHC!!

ReghanC
February 7th, 2013, 06:03 PM
That's incredible!! You and I seem to have a similar hair type. What routine did you go through to get this transformation?

biogirl87
February 7th, 2013, 06:17 PM
silverthread, it might come as a bit of disappointment and while I don't want to make you feel sad, I wanted to make you aware that your circumference when you grow out your fringe probably won't be 4.5". The reason is that simply adding the circumferences will usually give you a value that's greater than the combined circumference. What you really need to do is figure out the combined radius of both ponytails (hair and fringe) and then calculate out the circumfernece your ponytail would have when you grow out your fringe. All of that math is below:

C (hair) = 3"
C (fringe) = 1.5"
Radius of hair ponytail = 0.9554140"
Radius of fringe ponytail = 0.477707"
Combined radius = 1.433121"
Combined circumference = 4.49999994"

So, yes, in your case once your fringe grows out you can expect to have a circumference of 4.5"

Mesmerise
February 7th, 2013, 07:15 PM
silverthread, it might come as a bit of disappointment and while I don't want to make you feel sad, I wanted to make you aware that your circumference when you grow out your fringe probably won't be 4.5". The reason is that simply adding the circumferences will usually give you a value that's greater than the combined circumference. What you really need to do is figure out the combined radius of both ponytails (hair and fringe) and then calculate out the circumfernece your ponytail would have when you grow out your fringe. All of that math is below:

C (hair) = 3"
C (fringe) = 1.5"
Radius of hair ponytail = 0.9554140"
Radius of fringe ponytail = 0.477707"
Combined radius = 1.433121"
Combined circumference = 4.49999994"

So, yes, in your case once your fringe grows out you can expect to have a circumference of 4.5"

You're close but not quite right! You can't actually calculate the radius of each hair segment and add them together (because you'll just end up with the same result as if you added the two circumferences together, which is what you ended up getting). You actually have to go a step further and calculate the area of the hair in each, add the areas together, and then work out the new circumference from that calculation.

When I calculate it, I get an end result of 3.34" for a total circumference.

(I did a post on this ages ago, but I have no idea how to find it now!)

~BoHemiAngel~
February 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM
^^ Beauty AND brains! Wow! We've got quality people hanging out at this forum! ;)

biogirl87
February 7th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Yeah. And it turns that Mesmerise knows/remembers how to calculate this better than I can.

Naiadryade
February 8th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Glad you folks did the calculations so I don't have to! :p

I'm also curious what your routine has been to see such improvement!

silverthread
February 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I'm a wordy right-brainer, so I'm glad Mesmerize and biogirl87 have the mathy left-brainer part covered. Anyway, 3.34 or 4.5, I'm ecstatic with the improvement.

My routine covers much more than my hair, but I'll start with that: wash hair every 4-6 days, with either diluted low-poo or with homemade soapberry shampoo, conditioner as chemical-free as possible (right now I'm using Kiss My Face Big Body), hair up in a loose cinnabun on top of my head every night, satin pillowcase, no heat, no dye. Inbetween washes, keep hair moisturized by spritzing with my 5.5 pH spray (water with ascorbic acid, and an EO for scent) and then spritzing with diluted leave-in.

For a few months, I used only fingers to "comb" hair. But I've learned from this site how to properly use a BBB and comb. I use a Bass baby BBB with blonde boars hair, which is super gentle for my very fine hair. No tight updos or pony tails. All barrettes, clips, etc., are seamless. I'm very careful putting them in and out so as not to snag my hair.

About 5 months ago, I had a bad run-in with BS/ACV because my hair didn't like the high pH of the BS. Quit the BS/ACV. Discovered 5.5 pH is perfect for my hair, because human hair has pH between 4-5.5. Hence, I devised my 5.5 pH water spritzer. Almost everything that goes on my hair is 5.5. Keeps it from getting dried out.

I think diet is a big factor. Over the last year, I've cut out wheat and most grains, beans, and raw nuts, because they contain high amounts of phytic acid which binds to and prevents absorption of minerals. I take daily MSM supplement, liquid multivitamin, and include 2 lightly poached or sunny-side up eggs (for the biotin and lecithin) in every breakfast. I eat between 60 and 80 grams of protein (in the form of meat, fish and eggs) every day.

I've reduced environmental toxins in my home to almost nothing. I use soap berries for laundry, white vinegar as a fabric softener. It's difficult to find dish soap completely free of toxins, but the Seven Generations is fairly good. I'd like to find something better, though. Lemon juice/vinegar infusion and/or baking soda for general cleaning. No "air fresheners" of any kind. Body wash is homemade from soap berries as well.

Also, I've made my life as low-stress as possible. I exercise everyday, either Zumba, walking, or yoga.

It seems like a lot, but once I became conscientious of everything I was doing (or not doing) to my body, my hair became much more healthy.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM
That's awesome. I'm glad you are having good luck with your hair.

silverthread
February 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Hey, jacqueline: I notice from your profile you use a homemade detangler. Care to share your recipe?