PDA

View Full Version : Is this breakage? will oiling\CO solve it?

lole18
February 7th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I just had a trim and i keep having trims my hair is sl but the last 5 inches of it are always very thin! I have f\i but the last 5 inches are terrible! Is this breakage? I wash my hair twice a week and oil my scalp for 4 hours before washing then add a drop of coconut oil to the ends :) i'm oiling my scalp to regrow my sheded hair.. will oiling it once a week for 8 hours give me the same results? so i will be oiling once a week and CO once a week will this help with the ends and how my curls stretched i want them back! and the frizz?

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Maybe stop trimming and wear it up for a bit and see what happens.
You could be cutting off hairs that grow longer, while the others take a while to catch up. What's your hair type?

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2013, 02:38 PM
And I don't know what you mean by 8 hours? Are you rubbing your hair for 8 hours?

lole18
February 7th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Maybe stop trimming and wear it up for a bit and see what happens.
You could be cutting off hairs that grow longer, while the others take a while to catch up. What's your hair type?

no im trimming it because of the thinness i want to get rid of it! it was 3a now its 2a :) i mean leaving the oil for 8 hours once a week instead of 4 hours twice a week:)

spirals
February 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I have damaged, thinned ends. I don't tend to get a lot of splits, but the ends look and feel dry, despite oiling. The one thing that has helped, and even added shine to my curly hair (!) is catnip. I simply picked some up in the pet section of the grocery. I made a tea and used it with citric acid in it as a rinse, and it really helped my hair. But my scalp reacted to it, so now I infuse my hair oil with it, since that never goes on my scalp. I put the oil in my slow cooker with the catnip in a paper towel (didn't have a muslin bag or cheesecloth). Four hours on low worked just fine. I wasn't a fan of the smell, so I added a little rose flavor oil I had on hand. You could add a nice-smelling herbal tea bag, I suppose.

lole18
February 7th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I have damaged, thinned ends. I don't tend to get a lot of splits, but the ends look and feel dry, despite oiling. The one thing that has helped, and even added shine to my curly hair (!) is catnip. I simply picked some up in the pet section of the grocery. I made a tea and used it with citric acid in it as a rinse, and it really helped my hair. But my scalp reacted to it, so now I infuse my hair oil with it, since that never goes on my scalp. I put the oil in my slow cooker with the catnip in a paper towel (didn't have a muslin bag or cheesecloth). Four hours on low worked just fine. I wasn't a fan of the smell, so I added a little rose flavor oil I had on hand. You could add a nice-smelling herbal tea bag, I suppose.

so should i just soak my ends in it after or before showering? how did it help exactly? it stopped your breakage or thickened the ends?

spirals
February 7th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Some people use a water-based rinse as a conditoner. There's a thread on it in the natural hair care section, I think. I was using it as a post-wash rinse, since I need an acidic rinse after washing with soap, which is alkaline. But my scalp rected badly to it and I needed a different way to get it on my hair. I lightly oil my lengths and ends every day I don't wash it, so the catnip gets on it that way. If your csalp is ok with catnip, a rinse or conditioning treatment like the ladies in that thread do works well.

spirals
February 7th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Forgot to add: it seems to help mend the splits. When I S&D it's hard to find them. I don't think anything will make my ends thicker, a I purposefully thinned them. But they look healthier and shinier than with just oil.

Thinthondiel
February 7th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Some people use a water-based rinse as a conditoner. There's a thread on it in the natural hair care section, I think. I was using it as a post-wash rinse, since I need an acidic rinse after washing with soap, which is alkaline. But my scalp rected badly to it and I needed a different way to get it on my hair. I lightly oil my lengths and ends every day I don't wash it, so the catnip gets on it that way. If your csalp is ok with catnip, a rinse or conditioning treatment like the ladies in that thread do works well.

Maybe you could put the catnip rinse in a squirt bottle and use it only on the lower part of your hair?

jojo
February 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I oil my scalp and all the rest of my hair heavily with coconut oil overnight before each wash and yes id say its helping my hair. I also use catnip which has helped strengthen my hair enormously. Any sp,yes i get are only very teeny ones which i snip off during s&d sessions.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Interesting. I might try this method of infusing. so creative of you to think of it.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM
no im trimming it because of the thinness i want to get rid of it! it was 3a now its 2a :) i mean leaving the oil for 8 hours once a week instead of 4 hours twice a week:)
Oh. Well, maybe try the catnip in your oil. I still suggest that you stop trimming very much and give your hair time to grow. If you keep your hair up, also, the ends will thicken up because they won't break off -- and also you won't see them the way you do when they're down so they won't irritate you so much that you feel you need to trim all the time. HTH.
How'd you go from 3A to 2A, that's a big difference.

spirals
February 8th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Interesting. I might try this method of infusing. so creative of you to think of it.
I can't remember if I got the idea from Mountain Rose Herbs or another supplier, or a blog. But wherever I read it, the person who gave the instructions said that the cold infusion method takes weeks, so I opted for the heated method.

jeanniet
February 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
If your hair is thinning significantly for 5" up from the length, but is thick farther up, then I'd say it's breakage. You can also examine the hairs to see if there is a bulb (root) at the end--these are shed hairs. Before you do anything else, I'd try to pinpoint the cause of the damage. Anything like wearing your hair down, loose at night (especially if you're a restless sleeper), friction on backs of chairs, fabric, etc. can all cause hair to weaken and break. Chemical damage is another factor (dyes, heat, etc.). Once you know what's causing the damage, you can figure out how to stop it. It would really help if you could post a picture. Sometimes we think our hair looks worse than it really does.