PDA

View Full Version : Canít wear buns

Anabell
February 7th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone,

This sounds weird, but my hair (my scalp, actually) hate buns. Almost every time I try to do a new one, I have this uncomfortable feeling of puling and I feel all the weight of my hair on my scalp. I never do them tight, believe me. Maybe a ponytail base would help to distribute the weight better, but when I remove the ponytail it makes more damage than the benefits from bunning. Maybe I just have tender scalp and there nothing I can do. Also I have a straight slippery hair so I guess this is a part of the problem.
When I really need to I can do a braided nautilus or a giblartal with a hair stick (I learn this one from WSL. Thank you for the tutorial), but thatís it. And even that just for a couple of hours.
But I love buns, and sometimes I really want to vary my hairstyles with beautiful bun. Any tips? I also curious if someone else has this problem.

Angelica
February 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I have straight slipper hair as well. I find it easier to work on hair that hasn't been washed for a couple of days. The doughnut rings are good and so is a scrunchie if you haven't got enough bulk in your hair. Becareful about putting too many clips into your hair, less is better. French pleats are good as well and I find less harsh.

Seeshami
February 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I always to to pin my buns through the base of the bun instead of through my scalp hair. If I pin with my scalp hair it hurts and feels like I am pulling my hair out. I wish my hair was invisible in places because then I could show you what I mean instead of trying to describe it.

furnival
February 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I find buns done at the nape of my neck don't pull half as much as higher-placed ones. Also, using a three-or-more-tined fork seems to spread the weight more evenly, in certain buns, than a stick.

Anabell
February 7th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I always to to pin my buns through the base of the bun instead of through my scalp hair. If I pin with my scalp hair it hurts and feels like I am pulling my hair out. I wish my hair was invisible in places because then I could show you what I mean instead of trying to describe it.
You mean that the pin holds just the bun hair, without any scalp hair? and it really holds?? Most of the bun holders (sticks, claw clips, pins and etc.) hold the buns by combine some scalp hair with some bun hair and attach them together. One of the reason I love the nautilus it because it can hold by itself. But even that became annoying eventually. Maybe I just not a bun person...

jacqueline101
February 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I like buns and pins help distribute the weight.

lapushka
February 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Buns done with a Flexi8 or Ficcare are much nicer, they "sit" on the head much nicer, for some reason - maybe it's just how the weight is distributed with these clips, IDK. They are much nicer for me than buns with sticks or forks, in any case (but they're not that bad either).

I can't say why you're having this issue, maybe it's the way you do your buns, try them looser, try them a little tighter, try and vary the points of entry of your stick/fork, try and vary how much scalp hair you take with you. In other words, keep trying and experiment with various clips.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Ficcare Maximas give me a headache and I think I'm not the only one, so be careful with them.
I haven't tried Flexi-8.
so far I am not having luck with buns for a different reason. they require twisting and that seems to give me single strand knots.

louzen
February 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I get this sometimes. If I put the bun up in a certain way, even though it is loose, I still feel it 'pulling' on my hair which is uncomfortable. I also have straight slippery hair.

Seeshami
February 7th, 2013, 10:44 PM
You mean that the pin holds just the bun hair, without any scalp hair? and it really holds?? Most of the bun holders (sticks, claw clips, pins and etc.) hold the buns by combine some scalp hair with some bun hair and attach them together. One of the reason I love the nautilus it because it can hold by itself. But even that became annoying eventually. Maybe I just not a bun person...

Yes exactly that. The Naughty Mess is very rarely attached to his scalp hair. It's almost always all length hair I pin together.

MORE
February 8th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I get that too. It seems like my scalp is extra sensitive some days, and some days not. Don't know why... I often braid on those days or use a parandi. :)

Anabell
February 8th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Thank you all for the comments and the good advice. I'm not so skilled yet with the multi-quoting so I will answer you without them. Well, a beak clip or flexy eight could be a good idea, because they support the bun from both sides. I a little hesitate about the hair fork- I afraid to order one and find it out useless. I bought some french combs (same idea, just smaller) and they don't hold my hair at all... My hair also hate too many pins in it (or basically anything that touch my scalp..), but seeshami idea sounds interesting. The funny thing is that the reason I found you at the first time was because of a bun. I just notice that I can't bun my hair anymore. It was a simple regular cinnabun with a scrunchy and I did it to get out my hair of the way (on the contrast- now I want to learn how to do buns as actual hairstyle). My hair just became too heavy for that, and it start been annoying. So I think "O.k. maybe is some other way to hold it. I always can cut it if I don't find any. And then I found YOU :)

zift
February 8th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I second that lower buns feel less heavy to scalp but might limit the neck movement related to the size of the bun. although I don't have slippery hair(more like wool mine is) I still have difficulty wearing buns. My hair's kind of thick that may be the reason but people with floor length wear buns, I don't know probably my scalp is more sensitive.

torrilin
February 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM
What's your usual hairstyle if you don't use buns? That might help us figure something out.

Anabell
February 9th, 2013, 07:08 AM
I usually wear braids. English braid, most of the time.

LaurelSpring
February 9th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I have this problem also. I can get away with a high right on top of my head messy bun or I do a low bun. Lately it has been a low behind the ear bun with spin pins. Another option is doing a low flip through with a topsy tail and then you can braid or tuck up the bottom in some way. I also don't seem to have as much trouble when I use a paranda. I don't know why but if I do a Chinese bun with a paranda it feels fine. Actually a Chinese bun in general feels fine but its so much thicker and prettier with the paranda. Otherwise it looks too thin and slips a lot.