PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else just not get split ends?

Kiwiwi
February 7th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Hi people,

I was wondering if I am alone in this (likely not, you're never alone in something on a planet filled with 7,096,593,214 (as of now :P) people).

I don't have split ends. I don't ever get them. I don't think I've ever seen a split end on my head.
I've never trimmed my hair very often or something. And I'm not taking super fantastic great care of my hair either (of course better since I joined LHC). Not saying this to boast or anything. I am just wondering if I am alone in this.

I am a 3b, f/m, iii girl. Just FYI.

One thing is that I've had my hair mostly up (braids, simple low buns, etc) for 10 years simply because I didn't know how to deal with my curly hair. I was very dissatisfied with it so it was just always out of the way.
Now that I -do- know how to have my beautiful curls I still don't wear them and have my hair up even more because I simply want to grow to great lengths and having curls is not my priority now.
So I guess having it up a lot has helped. But it's more often in 2 braids and I always fiddle with my tassles -all the time-. Which could cause manual damage... But no splits for me.

Anyone? :)

DancingQueen
February 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I rarely get them; my hair tend to fairytale instead, which is actually really annoying. But no, I almost never get split ends. I used to straighten my hair every day for 3 years, and it was exactly the same. Maybe it is a thing for cur lies? I am a 2b/c, M, ii. :)

SugarPlumDreams
February 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I don't really get them either. I'm 3B also, and when I was straightening religiously I did get a few, but not as much as one would expect. My ends do get dry from time to time, though.

Vintagecoilylocks
February 7th, 2013, 08:17 AM
When I became completely natural I no longer got them. Wearing my curls up and braided, better hair care practices, is what I have to contribute it too because I used to get them alot. Like you, I am going for the longer lengths now and don't really have a life style where I can wear all this hair loose. I just want a nice hhealthy long head of hair, as long as it is possible to grow. Sometimes at the bottom of abraid I get the occasional SSK but I am working on that solution.

Just love your hair color and curls.

dulce
February 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I used to get them,a lot, with my long hair when younger,now that I don't brush my ends or dye or use a blowdryer I never seem to get any.When I check can't find any.

akilina
February 7th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I never really get them at all :o It is sort of baffling sometimes when people say they have so many splits. I don't feel their pain so I can't relate.

Vrindi
February 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Just rub it in, why don't you :P

I used to get splits all the time. Since I was a little girl, I'd be on a hunt for splits and cut them off. They are far less now than they ever have been, thanks to good care and better knowledge. The splits I do get now are so obviously from bleach damage (I learned my lesson) and elastics, which I am now finding ways to avoid. I will probably have splits for a few more years, until the rest of the bleached ends grow out, but I'm looking forward to a split-end-free future. It's nice to know from you guys that it's possible!

spidermom
February 7th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I refuse to believe that other people do not get split ends. Of course, I get enough to cover us all.

rowie
February 7th, 2013, 01:03 PM
My hairs are very coarse and thick. It is resilient to bleach, dyes, chemicals, and heat styling of which I don't touch anymore. I have crazy hair that is like a weed and so I rarely ever find any split ends, maybe I just don't realize it because I have so much hairs that it would be hard for me to keep track of them.

teal
February 7th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Just rub it in, why don't you :P
(...)
It's nice to know from you guys that it's possible!

This!! I have heat damage that won't be going awa any time soon. My ends are breaking off because of it and I have a ton of splits.

But.

My hair is up in some kind of bun almost all the time. Therefore, if I can't see them then I don't have them. Lalalalalala....

Sharysa
February 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Used to get lots of split ends because I straightened my hair a lot in high school, but they're considerably less prevalent now. Most of it seems to be new growth, since the tapers are very regular and smooth.

ClodaghO
February 7th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I don't think I've ever found a split-end, I just assumed they were there but I wasn't finding them

battles
February 7th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I never had any until I reached BSL. Now that I'm here, I have all sorts of bent and funny looking ends to cut off.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I never really have gotten split ends.
I have coarse hair and I'm a curly. (3b, 3c, possibly 4a, I don't know)
On the other hand, I get enough SSKs to make up for it. I S & d for SSKs which give me velcro ends.
For the record I have never dyed my hair, have not used heat for the last 13 years and have no chemicals in my hair. However, even when I used to (cringe) have a strong chemical relaxer in my hair, AND blow dry on high AND flat iron on high, I didn't have any noticeable split ends, either. But my hairdresser was regularly trimming me then--maybe that was why?
My hair then stayed at bra-strap length, I thought that was terminal.
I keep looking for split ends now and don't see them--maybe they will show up when my hair is longer? (APL now) I'm not taking anything for granted.

lapushka
February 7th, 2013, 02:40 PM
My hair is up 6 of 7 days a week (not on wash day after it's been washed, 'cause then it's in a half-up). I rarely have split ends. In the last two years, I've had maybe 2 to 3, small ones at the very end of my hair. But... I don't S&D, so I don't go consciously hunting for splits. I might have some more, but I just don't notice, I guess. However, looking at my ends, and I sometimes do at night, it doesn't look like there are any splits. So yeah, I can relate. :)

silverthread
February 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I periodically have my daughter check my hair for split ends because my hair's not long enough for me to see the back. I never find any on the sides, and I find it difficult to believe I wouldn't have any since my hair is so fine. Anyway, my daughter never finds more than one or two.

I wear my hair down as often as I wear it up. I don't use heat, cones, or dyes. My hair is low porosity, and 2a.

MychelleC
February 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
With curly hair mid-shaft splits are usually a bigger problem than end splits. Not saying you have mid-shaft splits, but the physiology of curls lend themselves to that issue. It's possible you have splits, but not at the ends. Or that you have very strong hair that doesn't tend to split. I don't get a ton of split ends, but I get them now and again.

spirals
February 7th, 2013, 03:38 PM
They seem rare for me. The longest a split ever gets is about 1/8 inch. My ends are damaged from color and dry, even. When I was flat-ironing I had white dots all over the place.

zift
February 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM
It's about the texture, length and how you handle your hair. My husband has really oily hair and around APL hair and he never gets split ends. I used to have a LOT of split ends with my dry super long hair but now since it's bsl I get less comparing before. Still I do get them, I envy you guys:)

Lyv
February 7th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I don't get them I just get really dry ends. I'm not sure what the white dots are but I don't think I've had those either. I have pretty resilient hair despite bleaching and dying monthly and I always wear it loose. I'm sure I would benefit from taking better care of it though.

ratgirldjh
February 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
No I don't get them either. But I have never really done heat styling or anything like that either so that may be why. I have a friend who gets a lot of them and so I know what they look like and look for them on my hair and no never! Weird! Maybe different hair types don't get them?

I do get fairytale ends so I guess mine just break off straight across or something... :shrug:

millyaulait
February 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I don't get them at all. The most I get are 'right angle splits' when I put my hair in a bun when it's still wet, but as soon as I wash it again they straighten out to normal.

I am seriously into benign neglect right now which I think is definitely working in my favor when it comes to splits! :D

Loveisaverb
February 7th, 2013, 04:43 PM
I haven't really every got them either even from taking poor care of my hair before. When I started to take care of my hair my ends were dry of course but no splits.
Through fairy knots are another thing...

ejking2
February 7th, 2013, 07:20 PM
You lucky ducks who don't get splits! I get tons of them and just as many white dots. It's partly because I put my hair through the wringer by using bleach and dyes 1.5-2 years ago, and until I found LHC less than a year ago, did not handle it gently. It's also because my hair is very fine--ranges from baby fine to spider silk with the rare M strand. Frequent trims and S&D are necessities for me!

whylime13
February 7th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I've never seen a split end in my hair, I always thought it was because I'm doing a bad job looking for them, I'm not really sure what they would look like. But maybe it's because I don't get them, until this thread I didn't know that was possible.

Mandie
February 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM
On my virgin hair, no splits. I had someone complaining about split ends one day and was like "what does a split end even LOOK like?" Now I've got hair that was bleached twice in the last two years, so... splits galore. Less now that I'm being gentler with it at least.

MychelleC
February 7th, 2013, 09:02 PM
You have gorgeous curls, btw! :)

SnowWhite
February 8th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I recently found my first split end. It's the first one and the only one I found until now although I inspect my hair ends very often!

alyaziaaah
February 8th, 2013, 04:38 AM
i remember when my hair was virgin i never had split ends.
then i started rebonding to get stick straight permanent hair and the splits came in.
not the first time but second time they used the chemical process on my already rebonded hair.
so i trimmed the splits off with time.
then i permed the remaining rebonded length to grow out my natural curl/ wave because it looked so weird,
poofy bulky curly on top, thin and straight on the bottom.
then i bleached the blue black bigen dye out.
it finally started breaking off. but the weird part is, i didnt get splits. i kept on trimming and trimming and
now my lower neck hair is with my natural curl, a tiny bit bleach still, my upper hair still has perm and the front and side
perm and bleach at the ends. so its actually much more damaged than it was when i rebonded. but although it is still breaking off a bit, there are no splits at all. so weird...
i learned my lesson and since i discovered co washing and henna there is no need to rebond my curly hair as it is not frizzy anymore and i love the copper henna on my greys and the burgundy shine it gives my brown black natural hair.
the whole culprit was working in humid Dubai as a bellydancer outside by the beach or in the dessert and using shampoo and cones.it made me ruin my hair out of desperateness:brickwall

Coolcombination
February 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I'd never heard of split ends before lhc, and since I joined and started looking for them I haven't found any. Pre lhc I got a trim every three months though. My ends just get dry and rough. I'm a 2b/c ii m/c girl

Coolcombination
February 8th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Oh and I've also never had hair longer than apl until now so it's been pretty short up to now. I was heat styling daily pre-lhc too

nobeltonya
February 8th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I don't get many split ends either, and I wear my hair down as much as I can.. like 90% of the time. Although that I attribute mostly to the fact that my hair is rather coarse. I am also pretty good at keeping it from catching in stuff, or I wear it up when it's windy or I'm wearing jackets with zippers.. I'm a daily washer, and I comb wet :O [after much conditioner and leave-in].. I trim the ends about every 2-3 weeks, just to keep it neat.

TheMechaGinger
February 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I never seem to have them either. I have 1a hair even! I've tried my hand at S&D several times but never find anything to cut. I almost feel left out haha :P

SGBSteve
February 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if I have split ends or not. Its hard to tell but I don't think I do. I do get frizzy hair and flyaways but I don't think I've ever actually seen a split hair. And I've tried looking for them too. My friend Dave (who is losing his hair) told me I should trim up to take care of the split ends but I think he was just seeing the frizziness of my hair.

I don't know... I'm not really sure how to recognize a split end. I've looked at pictures online and haven't seen anything like those in my hair. I really need to just get a professional to look at it sometime.

ladonna
February 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM
The reason I joined lhc was because my hair was a bit past midback, but I had splits all the way up to a few inches from my scalp. I chopped my hair and started to learn how to care for hair.My hair is again just past Mb and split end free.

MonaMayfair
February 9th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I never get them, and I never wear my hair up either. I also use a hair dryer. My hair's not virgin, most of it has henna on and I did about 19 honey treatments on it, so peroxide...

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM
It's strange mine come and go. I didn't have them when I first started growing my hair then I got tj at the year point. I s&du hair haven't seen too many. My ends are sort of in need of a trim. I took the no trims for a year challenge.

DMARTINEZ
February 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM
In all the time ive been growing out my hair,etc ive seen like 2 split ends! Seriously. :)

Deb

EdG
February 9th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I don't get split ends, but that is because my ends tend to break off cleanly rather than split.
Ed

katiebeans
February 9th, 2013, 06:35 PM
In 18 years I had never seemed to get split ends, despite any heat styling or semi-permanent dyes. It wasn't until I bleached my hair during the summer (gasp! bleach!) that I saw some. However I think considering what I put it through, they were to a minimum and I have kept it that way by treating my hair really well.

spirals
February 10th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I lied. I did a search & destroy yesterday and found a bunch. I get more since I have joined the board. And yet overall my hair condition is better. I think it's the combing and brushing. I never used to comb or brush my hair, just finger-comb in the shower. But now that it's longer I have to in order to get tangles out before braiding. Before LHC I was always between shoulder and apl, and trimming regularly.

leslissocool
February 10th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I don't get split ends, but that is because my ends tend to break off cleanly rather than split.
Ed

Mine does that too. It gets a white ball towards the end and it breaks clean.

Zindell
February 10th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Over ten years ago, when I still bleached highlights into my hair, I used to have a lot of split ends. I could sit and S&D forever!
But no longer... my hair is now all virgin and the splits are gone. Once in a blue moon I find a split but it's not even worth the job to search for them any longer. :p

The odd split here and there eventually gets trimmed away. (Hey, I tried Feye's selftrimming method yesterday. I love it!)

melusine963
February 10th, 2013, 03:22 AM
I used to get tons of split ends, but since following my LHC routine for about two years they've become pretty rare. Everytime I'm tempted to go back to heat-styling I remember this and come to my senses.

beryl
February 10th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I wish I didn't get split ends! I don't know why I have so many--I've never done anything heat-wise or dye-wise to my hair. Is this normal?

juliaxena
February 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I suppose you could bleach your hair like I did, THEN see if you have any :p . I am joking of course. I have had multiple splits on the same strand. I like to believe it is becuase my hair is otherwise strong-I have read hair that gets multiple splits is resiliant, otherwise it would just break off. I really like to tell myself that. ;) Anyway, ask me once I have grow out all the dye damage.

ladyfey
February 10th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I don't get them either, and my hair is straight and well past knee length. But it is always up and very protected.

henné
February 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I don't really get splits either. I do find one or two once in a long while, but its not even worth mentioning. My hair is 2a.