PDA

View Full Version : Thinning Shears!

Luna12345
February 7th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Hi everyone!
My hair is so thick and curly and now that it's long it feels so heavy. I got thinning shears from Sephora today and used them myself. My hair feels so much lighter. I've heard some people say thinning can be bad for curly hair in the long run. Is this true?
Do any of you thin your hair regularly? How often do you do it? Have you noticed any changes in your hair?

Cowgirl16
February 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I don't know how using the thining shears could be bad for the hair? It could be that as it grows out it may become wonky or lopsided. I use thining shears on my bangs all the time without any problems.

2peasinapod
February 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I have thick wavy hair, and I also use thinning shears. My hair is so heavy that I wouldn't be able to do anything with it if i didn't. I've been using them every few months for about a year and haven't had any problems, but I also don't get split ends or anything else no matter what.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2013, 02:46 PM
What I have heard is that it grows out oddly. But if you keep it trimmed in the same way, so that it doesn't grow out, I doubt this will be a problem.

Just don't do anything permanent. I used to hate having thick hair when I was younger but I love having it as an older lady, now that many my age are thinning, I feel lucky (though its still not easy to control).

spirals
February 7th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I used them on the last 4 inches of my length when my hair was APL. I have not noticed any extra damage. Now that it's waist, it does look weird when it's damp, kind of see-through, but by the time it dries and the curls swell up, it looks fine. I did know at the time I thinned it that it would end up like this, and I was ok with that. My ponytail circumfrence is 4" and I have curls, so that's why I did it.

ellen732
February 7th, 2013, 06:37 PM
When you use thinning shears you are basically creating layers by cutting into the hair. When I worked in a salon I would only thin my clients hair every other appointment as to not go overboard. It's easy to thin too much so be careful. Another trick is to twist sections of the hair and make three cuts starting halfway down the section and work your way to the end of the twisted section, that way the thinning you are doing graduates and isn't just taking chunks. HTH

Katleen
February 8th, 2013, 02:21 AM
You have to be careful not to use them too often! I had an 'incident' once, where I thinned out my hair too much, and it grew back really weird, with a lot of poofy-ness on the top of my head.
Since then I'm too scared to thin out my hair, and leave it to the hairdresser when I get a trim...

kidari
February 8th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I love mine but I agree to be careful. Don't go anywhere close to the roots... keep it near the ends! Also, I agree to not use it every time you trim. It creates frizz I hear and really thins out your hair over time.

2peasinapod
February 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I totally agree about not thinning near the roots. I divide my hair into three sections and thin the bottom half of the two bottom layers. That way, the canopy is untouched, and my hair doesn't look any different. I have noticed my ends looking really uneven after a few months, but it's not a big deal. I just trim them when I start to notice, but since my hair is wavy, it's not that noticeable if my ends aren't completely straight anyway.

HintOfMint
February 8th, 2013, 07:35 AM
As long as they're not used too often, they shouldn't turn out wonky or bad. My hairdresser uses them on my hair about every other appointment and they really saved my hair. My hair just got too heavy once I grew out my layers and cutting in regular layers didn't help when I had hair past hip. My hair was super flat on top and heavy at the bottom but thinning it out really helped my hair look nice again.