PDA

View Full Version : Do split ends stunt hair growth?

samanthaj08
February 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Terribly sorry if this is a repost, but I've looked everywhere.

My hair is about 27-28" (only a few inches away from my hip goal!!!),
but the bottom 4-5 inches are dead.

Long story short - my hair is long out of laziness because I couldn't pick a hairstyle and then I decided why not just grow it.

I coat it daily in coconut oil, wash only 1-2x a week, and have been really trying to take care of it the last 5-6 months.
But I hate wearing it up because I feel like without hair showing, I look like a boy lol.

To cut or not to cut.
Please advise :(

akilina
February 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Your hair is dead the moment it comes out of your head. All of it.

Split ends will not stop your hair from growing out of your scalp, but if your ends are snapping off, you will not see any of the growth you are getting.

I would say a trim is in order, but not a chop.

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2013, 07:21 PM
When the ends break off it causes your hair to appear as its not growing. It's growing just breaking off before it gets real long. Your hair will still grow.

samanthaj08
February 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Thank you both :D

Kiwiwi
February 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Yup, I would slowly trim (indeed not chop, no need for a huge cut) the ends that you are unhappy with.
Because they can indeed break off slowly so that it looks like you have no growth.

Also, maybe you need to clarify. All that coconut oil can cause buildup and make the ends feel crunchy. Just use a shampoo with harsh sulfates and nothing moisturizing in it. So a shampoo with just a few ingredients containing sodium lauryl sulfate. That's heavy stuff only recommended for clarifying every once in a while (unless you hair/scalp has no problem with the drying/damaging effect harsh sulfates can have). Clarify and use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards and see how your ends feel.

Sometimes I feel my ends are super crunchy and just aweful and I think I need a trim. Then I remember I need to try clarifying first. Almost always helps. Soft ends again.

So, see if that helps first. If not, then trim a bit.

lydiajo
February 7th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Even though I new this info. It was nice for the reminders. I'm one of those that forgets about to tend to my splits then wonders why I'm not seeing length.

samanthaj08
February 7th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Yup, I would slowly trim (indeed not chop, no need for a huge cut) the ends that you are unhappy with.
Because they can indeed break off slowly so that it looks like you have no growth.

Also, maybe you need to clarify. All that coconut oil can cause buildup and make the ends feel crunchy. Just use a shampoo with harsh sulfates and nothing moisturizing in it. So a shampoo with just a few ingredients containing sodium lauryl sulfate. That's heavy stuff only recommended for clarifying every once in a while (unless you hair/scalp has no problem with the drying/damaging effect harsh sulfates can have). Clarify and use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards and see how your ends feel.

Sometimes I feel my ends are super crunchy and just aweful and I think I need a trim. Then I remember I need to try clarifying first. Almost always helps. Soft ends again.

So, see if that helps first. If not, then trim a bit.

Ohh. Great idea. I only oil my full hair 1-2x a week, but the ends almost every night :X
Hopefully it helps :D