PDA

View Full Version : Tips on keeping ends strong?

jessierose
February 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I use coconut oil and maracon oil. What about you ladies? Any tips, tricks, secrets? :deal:

Mrsbaybeegurl
February 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Basically babying them, never ripping through tangles, oiling and Henna!! Oh and S&D to get rid of any splits.

TheMechaGinger
February 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Doing pre-wash oiling and damp bunning, and henna for me too!

lunalocks
February 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM
These days CWCC, baby oil on ends while damp and every night before bunning for bed, S and D every 2 weeks, wearing up during the day and 1/4 inch trim every 3 months, though I may stretch it out to 4 months or 5 this time as hair will be up nearly every day.

CitznMag
February 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Jojoba and more jojoba on ends every night.

Madora
February 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Wearing your hair up to protect those delicate ends!

S and Ding regularly

Eating healthy

Detangling with a wide tooth comb daily

Avoid anything that uses heat or straighteners.

ghost
February 6th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Light oiling during the daytime with coconut or olive oil, and a heavier pre-wash oiling. Bunning helps. I prefer to wear my hair down, but in the winter it's just not going to happen.
Also, I s&d whenever I see a split end, and trim every 3 months or so.

rock007junkie
February 6th, 2013, 03:22 PM
While coconut oil is great. I feel that my hair is better protected when I use something heavier like a hair butter or a thicker oil. Keeping your ends tucked in is paramount to keeping it healthy.

melusine963
February 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I use coconut oil, wear protective updos 99% of the time, am very gentle when detangling, and stretch my washes because most of my damage happens when wash and detangle. I also s&d semi-regularly.

bunnylake
February 6th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Coconut and/or olive oil, protective styles, and henna!

starlamelissa
February 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Silicones, no heat on the ends, wearing it up to sleep, not dying the ends, oiling damp hair with baby oil.

ravenreed
February 6th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Catnip rinses.

jessa
February 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
no heat or harsh chemicals. CWC. coconut, argon & baby oil. finger brush only. scrunchie buns for sleep and silky pillowcase.

RileyJane
February 6th, 2013, 06:26 PM
what reallyy counts for me is combing/ detangling properly! it can make a world of a difference in seeing splits or avoiding them completely; hair up in the winter season is a MUST for me; oiling and babying my ends are what im doing until i can officially cut out all the dye damage off of my ends :) also no letting ppl rub my hair and keeping a UV hat on when i do go tanning

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Wear your hair up daily
S&d regularly and micro trim
Detangle with wide tooth comb
Wear hair friendly items
Oil and Monistat daily
Moisturize

chen bao jun
February 6th, 2013, 07:40 PM
All the above plus occasional light protein treatment. I use the Joico K-pak just on ends for 3-5 minutes in the shower after washing my hair and before rinsing about 1 time per month and see a difference with that. (I have strong coarse hair, but my ends are trashed from mechanical damage and just break off like crazy if I don't baby baby baby them. Trying to keep them on my head until the end of the year when I will trim 3-4 inches. so far, so good).

catamonica
February 6th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Before I shampoo I use a spray bottle on my hair filled with half water & two capfuls of olive oil. Makes my whole hair soft. And in the shower, I added two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. But I add extra oil to the ends. It really helps. Much softer.

catamonica
February 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM
One more thing I forgot to add. I have fine medium thick hair. I read online that dehydrated chopped onion & dehydrated minced onion
makes your hair thicker. I added two capfuls to my conditioner. I've tried both. My hair did feel thicker. Hope this helps. And welcome to TLHC!

kidari
February 6th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Any kind of CWC method, including oiling pre-wash... leave-ins are key to keep it moisturized. I use one on my length and a richer one specifically for the ends, alternating a shea butter/oil leave-in with a coney keratin/oils leave-in. I don't ever S&D, instead I microtrim every month or every other month, which is very often. Damp bunning helps my ends tremendously and I make sure to spray some of kimberlily's defrizz spray on the ends if they are more dry than the roots, I use rosewater, aloe gel, camellia oil, and glycerin in my mix right now. Other than that, detangling carefully and wearing it in protective updos regularly are extremely helpful long-term.

MORE
February 7th, 2013, 12:39 AM
- Rosemary and rooibos rinses
- Protective hairstyles
- S&D
- Silk sleeping cap
- EVOO and avocado oil
- Keep it covered under a shawl, hat or hoodie as much as possible when outside during winter or windy weather

Neneka
February 7th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Tangle Teezer is my trick. My hair is short but it has been longer. It's fine and although it doesn't tangle much it snaps too easily if I use anything else but TT on my hair. I am so happy that they started selling TT:s here. I am now keeping an eye on them. If they start to disappear from stores I will have to start hoarding them. :)

Others have propably mentioned everything else. :)

SugarPlumDreams
February 7th, 2013, 08:15 AM
This is a great thread! I do a lot of things already mentioned, but I've found that my hair (especially ends) is less frizzy now that I'm using a satin pillowcase.

proo
February 7th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Microdust ends once a month
and wear a crown braid so ends and length are tucked up tight next to the scalp.
Cover fairly tightly with a silky scarf when possible for the greenhouse effect.

teal
February 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I'm going to try some of the tricks I learned about in this thread! :hmm:

I bought satin pillowcases... If they don't work out I might turn them into sleep caps.

lapushka
February 7th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Basically keep the ends moisturized, by whatever means. We condition twice after shampooing here. Then a leave-in gets added to my hair, and a serum or a few drops of baby oil. Oh, and we use a gel to style, but that's beside the point. ;)

nobeltonya
February 8th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Frequent trims, regular oilings, be careful when combing, wear it up - or at least braided - when it's windy, super cold, when wearing jackets with zippers, etc.. be aware of things that can snag it [gets easier as you get used to it] :disco:

rowie
February 8th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Coconut oil, tangle teezer, and bunning your hair is the tips I practice the most. :) When my hair is not in a bun I make sure that I am at home and not doing an activity that will cause my hairs to rub on my shirt.

TheLuckyLurker
February 17th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Before I shampoo I use a spray bottle on my hair filled with half water & two capfuls of olive oil. Makes my whole hair soft. And in the shower, I added two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. But I add extra oil to the ends. It really helps. Much softer.

Would you explain how you add the olive oil to your conditioner in the shower? I'd like to try it.

Sharysa
February 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Almond oil and sweetgrass oil post-shower, and then damp-braiding. S&D is great for keeping ends healthy as well.

Natalia
February 17th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Careful detangling, monoi oil, protective styles, dont play with them, ect... Im a benign neglecter so if they need attention they get oil or every once and a while smt/co (im wo) but thats about it. I try to avoid manipulative damage as much as possible.

iluvlovelylocks
February 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I agree with OP. I too, use coconut oil on my ends. It works wonderss for me!

jojo
February 17th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Wearing your hair up to protect those delicate ends!

S and Ding regularly

Eating healthy

Detangling with a wide tooth comb daily

Avoid anything that uses heat or straighteners.

this and i use coconut mixed with shaebutter on the ends daily, its helped my ends.

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 11:56 PM
I second Shea butter. Especially during really cold days cause Shea butter really helps
my hair feel soft and not dry.