PDA

View Full Version : Best hairstyles for people with fairytale hemlines?

~BoHemiAngel~
February 6th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Hi everyone!!! :bunny:

I'm excited to have reached waist length again, probably for the third time since joining the LHC. I have gotten so frustrated with my fairytailing hemline, though, that I keep trimming it back to BSL in hopes that it will grow down to waist with a more solid hemline. No such luck, even on the third try :rolleyes: This time around I am determined to continue growing my hair to hip, fairytales and all!! I'm having some problems with updo's, though, because the majority of the thickness of my hair is essentially BSL, with some fairytale ends extending to waist length. Most of the updo's I try that look great on people with thick waist length hair just end up looking rather pathetic on me :justy:! For instance, when I attempt to do a cinnamon bun I get one solid coil, but then am left with a bunch of skinny strands to wrap around the base, making it look more like a stub than a nicely coiled cinnamon bun :-(

So I've seen other posts from lucky ladies with blunt hemlines at waist, hip, and beyond lamenting about how they wish for fairytale ends because they make certain updo's so much easier... So I'm interested to hear from those folks or maybe from people with fairytale ends that have been more successful with mastering hairstyles that I have been. What hairstyles do you think work best for people with fairytale hemlines?

Also, here's a couple pics so you can see what I'm working with:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/hburgy/rsz_dscn00012.jpghttp://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/hburgy/rsz_2dscn0011.jpg

The pic on the top hides the fairytales pretty well, but the second pic is of the exact same hair moments later with the dark shirt underneath removed. Makes quite a difference :/ Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!!

kittengirl
February 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I don't have any advice but your hair is lovely! I can't wait till mine is as long as yours!

Knotted
February 6th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I will be watching this thread for ideas as well :)

PrincessIdril
February 6th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I have very similar hair to you and personally I quite like small buns! Yeah my rose bun looks kinda pathetic but I think cinnamon buns and sock buns look pretty good on hair like ours!

I've found that braided half-ups work very well on our hair, anything LOTR inspired especially. Mostly because I love styles that highlight my fairytale ends. Oh and this fancy updo from Loepsie is great for us to!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vvJoCaw_Us

Nini
February 6th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Any kind of hairstyle that contain the hair somewhat helps. Both braids and buns.

I've worn buns since, I don't know, waist maybe. Now my longest strands hit mid-thigh, and my buns still aren't very big;)

melusine963
February 6th, 2013, 03:44 PM
My hair is at tailbone length, and my taper starts at about waist. It'll be about two years before it grows out, assuming I don't want to lose any length by trimming too drastically. I just wear updos all the time so that people don't notice my thin ends. The outer coils of my buns are ridiculously skinny compared to the inner coils, but I don't let this bother me too much. I'm comforted by the fact that a lot of LHC members who have spectacular hair (and no noticeable taper) also have thinner outer coils.

Buns that would hide your ends better than a cinnabun include:

Nautilus bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLgQk1yLuA
Hypno bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4eyFiTRqI
Knot bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE

Natalia
February 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I just did a trim in january and though i like the look of my hemline better now i miss how secure the fairytails made my buns. Now the blunter endd stick out and irritate me sometimes. I have thin/fine hair im only ii thickness to my shoulders where im growing out a big shed everything else is i. For cinnabuns u pins work way better than sticks because you can make it flatter and therefore appear bigger :). Nautilus works well but is more compact, i still cant to a traditional figure eight bun an untwisted version works as long as i secure it with some clips/pins in addition to the sticks. Double buns or wrapped buns (like my profile pic) are awesome. That way with less thickness you can do buns beyond your length. A KL knot is a good one for fairytails too but it feels unbalanced to me so i dont wear it often i think it would to better with claws then a stick for me.

Nebulae
February 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
No wise words to add really, I'm just :thud:ing at the sight of your pretty waves! I think waves and fairytale ends look good together.
I think I also will keep an eye out on the replies because I suspect my ends will be thinner than the rest of my hair for a long time ahead...

I'm only BSL so far and I haven't tried a whole lot of buns yet but I think that a rose bun or especially a seashell bun makes my bun look a bit bigger than when I (try to) do a cinnabun. :)

berr
February 6th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Timely topic. I'm very much debating with myself right now. Things make me want to do big chop right this very moment since I'm presently very unhappy with my hair at this very moment. Sometimes i feel going backward is the only way to go forward. I've been keeping mine contained all the time to keep from chopping it off. I'm tiring of the same pulled back look though.

alyaziaaah
February 6th, 2013, 04:38 PM
oh your hair is lovely! i personally dont like blunt hems, i love your fairytale ends and wouldnt trim if i were you.
i dont know any buns for you but i do know that my hair at bsl with a slight U shape but blunt doesnt make a good bun as the ends are sticking out. when i had fairy tale ends at the same length it was much easier to wear up,
now i regret trimming them off:justy:

HairFaerie
February 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I think it looks beautiful down, but then again...I am partial to fairytale ends as opposed to a blunt hemline! :crush:

CurlyCurves
February 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Your hair is so gorgeous! I LOVE the waves..

RileyJane
February 6th, 2013, 06:28 PM
why dont u try just doing more bsl hair lengths updos and have some extra length to work with, making the bsl hairstyle look extra plump? :)

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2013, 06:30 PM
If suggest a bun. Your hair is lovely.

~BoHemiAngel~
February 7th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Wow, thank you all so much for these great suggestions!! I still haven't learned how to multi-quote within a reply, so I can't give individual credit... but I love your ideas for LOTR styles, a hypno or knot bun which I haven't tried yet (and thanks for the tutorial links!) braided half ups, sock buns, and bsl length styles with a little more volume :) And thank you for your sweet compliments, you guys are the best!! :flowers:

spirals
February 8th, 2013, 01:08 AM
If I brush out my curls, we are hair twins. I find that since my hair is iii and all my thickness is at bsl also, sectioning buns works. For instance, for the orchid bun I divide it into 3 sections. The middle one is what I make the loop with and then I have thicker sections to wrap around the base. It works for a cinnabun too.

Lippytoes
February 8th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Oh, your hair is so gorgeous! I think things like crown lace twists or a crown braid (Dutch or French) would work beautifully. You have long enough hair that you'd get the thick crown to go all around your head, and then the thinner ends can just be braided to the end and hidden in the bigger braid. (I hope that made sense.)

Also, the paranda bun in your siggie looks really good - a great way of adding thickness and length!

QMacrocarpa
February 9th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Your hair is lovely! If you don't like having long thin ends to stow away under your bun you might like the equilibrium bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKpcYRIr4o). I find this one of the more compact (smaller-looking) buns, but I quite like it! I like securing it with a smooth beak I can pierce through the loop and the rest of the bun, or the (largely unloved) Goody modern updo pin. I also find the nautilus bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYwKnT9SyQ) secures ends quite well.

katiebeans
February 9th, 2013, 06:42 PM
For what it's worth, I love your fairytale ends! They look great with the wave/curl that your hair has to it. No suggestions from me, but I am pretty jealous over here :o

GeoJ
February 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Right now my hair is very thin from APL to waist (major shed regrowth is just passing APL now). I have found the Pha Bun to hide my taper and make it look like I have more hair than I really do. It works best for me to do it with a fork (I typically use a 3 pronged 60th Street fork for it). Right now I'm loving the Pha Bun and snoods!

~BoHemiAngel~
February 11th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Thank you so much for your sweet compliments and suggestions!!
QMacrocarpa, I'm loving the nautilus bun right now, and will try the equilibrium bun next. The crown braids are a great idea, Lippytoes, so perhaps when I have a day off I'll try to tackle that style!!
GeoJ, I have never heard of the Pha Bun and have a difficult time using the search function on this site for some reason... do you know where I can find a link?
Thanks SO much for your help, everyone!! :love:

melusine963
February 12th, 2013, 01:30 AM
GeoJ, I have never heard of the Pha Bun and have a difficult time using the search function on this site for some reason... do you know where I can find a link?

Here's a youtube link to the Pha Bun, made by fellow LHCer Phalaenopsis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig

embee
February 12th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I just did a trim in january and though i like the look of my hemline better now i miss how secure the fairytails made my buns. Now the blunter endd stick out and irritate me sometimes. (snip)

This ^

I hated my hair after I chopped off the fairytale ends, I couldn't make a decent updo as the ends all stuck out like a paintbrush. Ugh.

I love the fairytale ends because they make the bun more secure and they tuck in so very well.

Taper is a pain though when I want a braid. Guess I just can't have everything! ;)

Swissmiss2584
March 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
I love fairytale ends! These ideas are great! Since my hair is so straight I would have to make sure that I always keep waves or curls in it.

Vanilla
March 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Braided Chinese buns are good to hide fairy tale ends.

~BoHemiAngel~
March 2nd, 2013, 06:35 PM
Great, thank you for the link melusine963!
Vanilla, I used to love doing the braided Chinese bun but haven't tried it in a while. I think I'm inspired to try it again! You guys are really helping me out with all these great suggestions- my hair thanks you! ;)