PDA

View Full Version : Trying to lie down with a ponytail

SGBSteve
February 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM
So my hair is just long enough now that I can start putting it in a ponytail but I thought of something today.

I was in my car waiting for someone and I tilted my seat back and tried to lie down but I wasn't sure if I should rest my head against the ponytail or if that would be bad for my hair. I ended up doing it and it didn't really feel bad or anything but I'm just wondering if putting this kind of pressure on my hair in a ponytail would cause damage to it (aside from the damage that ponytails apparently cause already).

Yozhik
February 5th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hmm...personally, I wouldn't worry that much about it.

I occasionally even go to sleep lying on my hair in a bun or braid (as close as I get to a ponytail), and I don't see any damage from it.

If your hair is at the length when you can just begin putting it back, I'd bet that lying against it might loosen it, though. :shrug:

torrilin
February 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I find most of the damage from ponytails comes from wearing them very tightly, in the same spot, and very frequently. My hair is fine and fragile, but I've always rotated my hairstyles so that I don't wear the exact same thing every day. As long as I have about 3 styles to swap around, ponytails are fine. Since ponytails are often the very first updo someone learns, it's pretty common to wear them over and over tho... so my experience is pretty atypical. But I don't really think it's the fault of ponytails so much as the habits that go with.

As far as sleeping on a ponytail, I find either a very high one ( so the elastic "bump" doesn't hit the pillow) or a very low one so it's in the curve of my neck will work. A more centered ponytail is uncomfortable for me to sleep in. I tend to be a side sleeper and pretty prone to swapping sides, and turning with a bump on my head bugs me. Obviously, mileage varies on this.

spirals
February 6th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I've never noticed damage from ponytails, just from chemical coloring and heat-styling. But I think my medium-to-coarse hair is semi-indestructible.

SGBSteve
February 6th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I don't really have much to worry about. And yeah I'm not doing the ponytail everyday. I can still wear it loose or behind the ears just fine.

If your hair is at the length when you can just begin putting it back, I'd bet that lying against it might loosen it, though. :shrug:

You would think so but no not really. I have very thick hair so it stays in the ponytail pretty well. And I don't even wrap it that tight.

hairhair
February 6th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I don't think it would normally damage it, but maybe when it's short it might. Because instead of hanging down and the side of the hair pressing into whatever you're lying on, if the ponytail sticks straight out, the ends might be kind of squished into the pillow. I don't know if this would damage them, it's just something I imagine.

I hope I've explained this well. Does anyone know if this would be the case.

browneyedsusan
February 6th, 2013, 05:37 AM
I can barely put my hair in a ponytail. When I sleep, I make a ponytail up on top of my head! I just grab what will reach, and bind it up there. Quite a lot doesn't reach, but I just let that run wild, and my hair still doesn't get tangled up in the night. (I got the idea from DD. She puts her WL hair in a topknot to sleep.) I've tried sleep caps, and scarves but they slip off, and I prefer the topknot.

SGBSteve
February 6th, 2013, 11:16 AM
@HairHair, Yeah I know what you're saying and that's pretty much what I was imagining too.

@Browneyedsusan, Hmm... I may have to try out that ponytail on top idea.

Though really when I first asked this question it wasn't so much wondering about sleeping with a ponytail but more like if you're out somewhere and you just want to rest the back of your head against something. Well either way I suppose this question can apply to when you're sleeping also.

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2013, 11:42 AM
The damage comes from the pony tail being tight.

Angelica
February 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Ponytails can be too uncomfortable to sleep in. Have you tried a ponytail on top of your head? I found that much better.

swearnsue
February 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Be sure to use pony tail holders without metal clasps! And don't use regular rubber bands!

SGBSteve
February 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Yeah I used to use rubber bands when I was in high school and now I cringe remembering how much hair I used to pull out every time I would take them out. Now I use the metal free kind and there is little (if any) hair that gets pulled out.

Naiadryade
February 6th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I don't think it would normally damage it, but maybe when it's short it might. Because instead of hanging down and the side of the hair pressing into whatever you're lying on, if the ponytail sticks straight out, the ends might be kind of squished into the pillow. I don't know if this would damage them, it's just something I imagine.

I hope I've explained this well. Does anyone know if this would be the case.

This is what I imagine as well... Hmm. Not really sure how damaging it would be, though.

The top ponytail may not be the best for fashion during the day, unless you do it slightly to the side with a big scrunchie and pretend it's the 90's. I'd say don't worry too much about leaning against your ponytail... Just try not to move around too much while you're doing it. The friction from rubbing it against the car seat, couch, etc could definitely cause damage. If you need to readjust, lift your head to do it.