PDA

View Full Version : Please help me diagnose my hair

hennared
August 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I've been reading about the strand test for moisture vs protein needs of hair, and I'm not quite 'getting it'. I also read the article that is posted here about diagnosing hair (authored by Kirin) But I still don't quite get it! My hair does seem to stretch some, if I test a shed hair, but I'm not sure how much it is 'supposed to'. I'm also not sure what the difference is between 'bunched up' hair and 'wadded' hair.

One thing my hair does that I've not seen described, is, if I do a strand stretch test, some of my shed hairs (particularly the longer ones) when they break, the ends where the break occurred roll up in a tight curl that is far curlier than my natural wave! Is this some sort of clue what my hair needs? Is this a sign of to much protein? I think it needs plain moisture, but I'm not sure. I've been giving it plenty of that, yet it still seems very dry at the ends and fly-away.

Any comments about the weird breakage curlies?

-Hennared

amaiaisabella
August 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have had similar issues. Mostly I just alternate between moisture and protein treatments, as to cover all my bases. :)

jera
August 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I've been reading about the strand test for moisture vs protein needs of hair, and I'm not quite 'getting it'. I also read the article that is posted here about diagnosing hair (authored by Kirin) But I still don't quite get it! My hair does seem to stretch some, if I test a shed hair, but I'm not sure how much it is 'supposed to'. I'm also not sure what the difference is between 'bunched up' hair and 'wadded' hair.

One thing my hair does that I've not seen described, is, if I do a strand stretch test, some of my shed hairs (particularly the longer ones) when they break, the ends where the break occurred roll up in a tight curl that is far curlier than my natural wave! Is this some sort of clue what my hair needs? Is this a sign of to much protein? I think it needs plain moisture, but I'm not sure. I've been giving it plenty of that, yet it still seems very dry at the ends and fly-away.

Any comments about the weird breakage curlies?

-Hennared

Hi,

Those curly bits you see when you break a shed hair means your hair has great elasiticity and good health, so don't worry about it. It's only when the ends break clean and straight that you have too worry. :)

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hi,

Those curly bits you see when you break a shed hair means your hair has great elasiticity and good health, so don't worry about it. It's only when the ends break clean and straight that you have too worry. :)

Yep - the bungee look is good for hair! :D

spidermom
August 26th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hi,

Oh hooray! I was afraid that those curlies meant something awful. I see them occasionally when I look at my hair under the lamp. I figured out that was what is left after I break a hair.

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
:lol: I used to worry about those too. I was so pleased when I found out otherwise!

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hmm, where have you heared those curly ends are a good sign? I think they are over stretched hair that haven't returned back to it's shape. So it sounds to me the hair might have too little protein. Ofcourse this is only my own thinking, but I would like to see where it is said that these are a good thing. Thanks :)

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hi Arctic

This is an article I had saved on my computer.

http://www.indiwo.com/india/features/hair-beautyfashion/test-your-hair/5629/0

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Just an afterthought - someone feel free to tell me if I've totally misunderstood that article!

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you pariate!

According to this article (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69) my theory would be true. These articles have conflicting information, IMHO. Which to believe? I'm inclined to believe the article I post, it's often been circulating here and have been working for me.

Thoughts?

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
It's certainly a lot more thorough! It makes more sense to me, so I'm now inclined to agree with you :) I'm washing tonight/tomorrow - depends on how motivated I'm feeling tonight - and I'm going to try those wet tests.

Thank you for posting that article :flower: It's very useful.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
You're welcome, it has helped me very much with this protein/ moisture balanse! :)

Nightshade
August 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
The curly hair thing isn't that the hair is lacking anything, it's that it was stretched too far.

All materials have two ranges, an elastic range, and a plastic range.

If something is stretched a little and springs right back (think like a slinky) it's in the elastic range. It's being stretched, but it isn't hurting the slinky (or hair).

The plastic range occurs when you stretch a material so far that it loses its ability to go back to it's original shape. Think of the slinky you stretched too far and it wouldn't coil up nice anymore.

So in the case of hair, I think the curly effect is in indicator that a hair was stretched into the plastic range, and since it was permanently deformed it winds up all misshapen as it sprung back.

ETA: Past the plastic range is the fracture point, which is where something breaks. A hair can break in the middle, but the remaining part has still been deformed in the plastic range, hence why what you see left behind can be curly and strange.

I hope that makes sense.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Nightshade: But if this happens often it might be that hair is lacking protein? (ie. stretching too much without being able to return to original shape)

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Which raises the question... how far is too far when stretching a hair?! :confused:

Nightshade
August 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Nightshade: But if this happens often it might be that hair is lacking protein? (ie. stretching too much without being able to return to original shape)

:ponder: Perhaps.

I think I hair that has too much protein would probably snap off clean, as it'd be brittle and wouldn't stretch far, so then, yes, it'd make sense that hair that was protein deficient would be more prone to this longer elastic/plastic range effect before it breaks.

There are other causes for curled hairs too. For instance, a sharp comb can also curl hairs like this (like the edge of a scissors curling a Christmas ribbon), and I know that's happened to me when I have gotten a new comb and then later find there's a spot that's sharp and needs sanding.

So I think my recommendation would be that if you're seeing a high amount of curled hairs to check for seams and sharp/rough edges on all styling tools, and then do the test for moisture/protein with the hair in a dish of water (hell if I can find the link).

Also, taking a shed hair and stretching it would be a good test. Then wetting a second hair and stretching it.

:lol: I'm sorry for my blathering, I hope there was sense in there somewhere.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Which raises the question... how far is too far when stretching a hair?! :confused:

there were recently couple of threads about this. If my memory serves, consensus was that about 20-30 % is normal stretching. More than that is too much.

I shall come back in a minute to add the links here.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
How stretchy are your strands? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9264)

Speaking of stretchy-how stretchy is too stretchy (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9328)

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
You're a star, Arctic ;) Thanks for the links.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
You're most welcome (blushing here!)
This is one of the subjects that has been close to myself recently, and that's why I've been reading a lot about it :laugh:

Nightshade
August 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Good information. So I think I'm going to stand by my earlier assessment of checking tools and the condition of stretched hair :)

plainjanegirl
August 26th, 2008, 12:17 PM
:ponder: Perhaps.

I think I hair that has too much protein would probably snap off clean, as it'd be brittle and wouldn't stretch far, so then, yes, it'd make sense that hair that was protein deficient would be more prone to this longer elastic/plastic range effect before it breaks.

There are other causes for curled hairs too. For instance, a sharp comb can also curl hairs like this (like the edge of a scissors curling a Christmas ribbon), and I know that's happened to me when I have gotten a new comb and then later find there's a spot that's sharp and needs sanding.

So I think my recommendation would be that if you're seeing a high amount of curled hairs to check for seams and sharp/rough edges on all styling tools, and then do the test for moisture/protein with the hair in a dish of water (hell if I can find the link).

Also, taking a shed hair and stretching it would be a good test. Then wetting a second hair and stretching it.

:lol: I'm sorry for my blathering, I hope there was sense in there somewhere.

If you find the link of how to test your hair in a dish of water please send it my way!!!

hennared
August 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Ok, so it isn't obvious! Now I feel less dopey :)

Thanks for the feedback; lots to assimilate. But I like that. You guys are great!

Hennared