PDA

View Full Version : Soooo... after two years of no heat...

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I have to have my hair CRIMPED... for SIX DAYS STRAIGHT!!! Aaaargh!

Adding to this is that I didn't KNOW it would be crimped today, so I didn't really prepare it... I have been washing with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and rinsing with dilute ACV, which means pretty much no protection!! So my hair, right now, feels like something you'd use to scrub dishes!!! I have a feeling I'm going to have to reduce myself to using my husband's Pantene tomorrow, and buying myself some conditioning treatment ASAP!! I'm also going to smother it in heat protectant stuff (which I fortunately still have, from those straightening days) before tomorrow night!

ARGH my poor hair!! I do hope it's not too wrecked by this... I don't mind so much the ends getting damaged... because they were already damaged! But it sucks that my un-heat-touched hair has to be subject to this abuse so many days in a row!

Anyone else got any bright ideas as to how I can help get my hair through the rest of the week relatively unscathed??

(Sorry in advance if I don't reply straight away, but I just got home and it's 11pm so it's bed time for me!)

(Ooooh I just saw my title said SIX years, it was supposed to say TWO years lol)

starlamelissa
February 5th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I would cone up, HARD. Course I would cone up anyways cuz cones are my favorite ever. But they should protect your hair from the crimper. Also you could do some microbraids and avoid the damn hot tools entirely.

door72067
February 5th, 2013, 05:42 AM
why don't you sleep in small braids each night...same effect as a crimping iron without all the damage

silverthread
February 5th, 2013, 05:45 AM
I like the braiding idea. But, if that won't work, I would dampen the hair, then put a light film of jojoba oil on it while still damp. Allow to dry before crimping.

furnival
February 5th, 2013, 05:58 AM
I agree with the little braids suggestions- same effect, no heat! It would be a shame to undo all of your hard work with a week of crimping... :uhh:

cathair
February 5th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I am curious what lead you to have to crimp? If it were me, I would get some heat protector hair spray if I had to, use loads of it and let it dry before I crimped it. I used to use Charles Worthington stuff and VO5 stuff, I don't really know what worked better.

When I was pre-teen, I used to micro-braid my hair every day. If the braids are really pulled tight and left over night or two days, my hair would be about twice as big as it was when it was crimped instead. It zig zags were often more defined too, but they just didn't have the harsh pointed angled ends from what I remember. It was almost big like Mel B or a zig zaggy Lion's mane. It would slowly drop down to look more like crimped hair over the day. It could be worth a shot if you have time to experiment a little.

Rosetta
February 5th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I'm intrigued why does your hair have to be crimped for six days in a row? ;) (Also as it sounded like you have no choice in the matter!)

Kherome
February 5th, 2013, 08:39 AM
It was my understanding that applying heat to cones is a very, very bad idea.

spidermom
February 5th, 2013, 09:12 AM
No - you want cones with heat. They form somewhat of a protective barrier because silicones are very poor heat conductors.

Small braids for crimps; that's the ticket!

Naiadryade
February 5th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm also curious about the situation! Are you an actor? Or a model? Those are the only situations I could imagine in which you are forced to do something specific with your hair for 6 days... If so, why does your character need crimped hair so badly?

And yeah, little braids all the way. If it were me I might even just leave it braided all week and only let it down for the performances, or whatever it is you need your hair crimped for. That way you ensure the crimped look won't fall by the time you need it.

Angelica
February 5th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Another person curious here about why you need to crimp? I also agree that lots of plaits will have the same effect. Pantene has been labelled a bad shampoo for hair by some hairdressers. So be careful about that stuff.

DancingQueen
February 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I am very curious too, why?

I agree on the cones, and make sure you use lots of heat protecting as well. I guess micro braids would be better for your hair, but I can imagine they might be very time consuming.

jacqueline101
February 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I agree with the small braids.

leslissocool
February 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Yes, no oiling. I'd clarify and dip my hair in cones.

Please elaborate on why your hair is getting crimped. Fashion show? :popcorn:

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone! I probably should have elaborated on WHY I need my hair crimped... yes, it's for a play and it needs to look... very 80s. I'd totally go with the braid idea, but I really don't have the time it would take to put my hair in microbraids each night (also getting home at 11 or later doesn't help). From previous experience I know how long it takes to microbraid, and I'm not sure my arms could stand up to it either.

I think I'll just have to go with the cones, for all that I usually avoid them, and do lots of deep conditioning and hope the damage isn't that bad. I will say that the ladies doing my hair last night didn't hold the heat on it for a long time, which is probably a good thing (no idea how hot those crimping irons are though).

furnival
February 5th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hope you manage to avoid damage. Any chance of some pics? ;)

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM
There may be pictures after Sunday ;) just have to see if anyone takes any good ones lol!

ghost
February 5th, 2013, 02:21 PM
An easier and slightly less damaging way to get a crimped look using a flat iron is to coat your hair with some kind of protectant, braid it into about 4 French, Dutch, or English braids, and then run a flat iron down each braid.
Here, have a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbwB2Cs-p3w

GabrielleRose
February 5th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I hope you don't experience too much damage, I would try what ghost posted. The video makes me want to go buy a flat iron just so I could do that style. I've only had braid waves once because my boyfriend's mom did it for me, but it was time consuming and that method in the video sure seems a whole lot less time consuming.

door72067
February 5th, 2013, 04:41 PM
imho, the braids like in the tutorial, done damp and worn overnight should give great results...no need for millions of micro braids

ps: not all of us crimped in the 80's lol ;)

Naiadryade
February 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I also think just braiding it overnight, maybe slightly damp, should do the trick... 3-6 braids depending on your hair's thickness should give the same effect as crimping. Tons of microbraids might even be too tightly wavy. At least, it does this on my hair, which is wavy and takes shapes pretty well. Maye super-straight hair wouldn't take it without heat? I don't know. You could at least try it tonight and see what happens.

spidermom
February 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM
You would only need about 4 braids to get the crimped look.

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Hate to say it, but there's no way I could get the same effect with just a few braids. I'd need dozens to get the tightly crimped look! (I say this from previous experience of braiding :D). If I could get away with achieving the same look with just a few braids, I'd give it a shot! The crimping makes for extremely tight waves (my hair feels sort of like steel wool afterwards, especially when they add hairspray!!!). I think fewer braids would make my hair look "fluffy" if brushed out, but wouldn't get the tight crimping effect.

Anyway, it's something to mess around with!! The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work at all ;).

(Oooh and I never crimped in the 80s either!! I never had a crimping iron for starters, although I do remember thinking it looked sort of cool...lol)

Seeshami
February 5th, 2013, 11:08 PM
imho, the braids like in the tutorial, done damp and worn overnight should give great results...no need for millions of micro braids

ps: not all of us crimped in the 80's lol ;)

I was almost bald in the 80's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/f6d28d71-052e-401f-872f-c3045d0a65df_zps834c3920.jpg

I would do the braided with a little flat iron and then recover later if night braids won't work. After it's done get your go to oil heat it up a little and then slather it on and sit.

joflakes
February 6th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I was almost bald in the 80's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/f6d28d71-052e-401f-872f-c3045d0a65df_zps834c3920.jpg

I would do the braided with a little flat iron and then recover later if night braids won't work. After it's done get your go to oil heat it up a little and then slather it on and sit.

Haha! I was about the same! :laugh:

I want to see photos. I love crimped hair but very rarely do it these days due to the time and effort needed wit braiding or the heat for a crimper (which I actuall own!).

Allychan
February 6th, 2013, 01:49 AM
In the 80's I hated the crimped look, then I got a bogan boyfriend and he GAVE me a crimper. I could never bring myself to use it so I dropped him. :(

Mesmerise
February 6th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I totally agree it's not a great look ;)... I took a couple of pics of my hair to show exactly HOW CRIMPED it is!! (Will try and upload tomorrow). It's insane!!

10000days
February 6th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Also you could do some microbraids and avoid the damn hot tools entirely.

I second this!!!
Try it for one day- if it doesn't give quite the look you need then use a hot crimper. But it's worth a try!