PDA

View Full Version : Hot springs and hair?

ravenreed
February 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM
My mom and I are finally getting out of town for a couple of days. We are going to some hot springs for fun and relaxation. Mineral deposits are the bane of my existence here at home, so I guess my question would be is there any benefit from hot springs minerals that would make it worth getting my hair wet? I know there is a lot more variety of minerals in hot springs waters. If not, it will be easy enough to keep it up and safe.

Natalia
February 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Not that im aware of. Around here they are very sulpher rich and stinky not something id want in my hair beneficial or not lol so i suppose it depends what the minerals are.

Redhead Rebel
February 4th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I thought that products containing sulpher were good for hair growth?

Natalia
February 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I thought that products containing sulpher were good for hair growth?

I couldnt stand having that scent that close to me for long enough to find out :p

Viscountess
February 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM
As a long time soaker in Banff hotsprings, I recommend keeping your hair up and dry(ish) as I have never noticed any benefit to soaking my hair in the waters.

Its been my experience that benefits of hair treatments (tea rinses, catnip rinses and yes, I extrapolate to mineral water bathing) build up over time you're only going there for one weekend I don't anticipate any point to soaking your hair for any therapudic benefit.

trolleypup
February 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Depends on the spring...if the water has a lot of carbonate/salts it is likely to be drying and cause problems just like any other hard water. If the water is soft, it is probably innocuous even if it is stinky. Most of the springs I visit have more or less hard water, so I keep it up, but there are a few where the water is soft, and I'll indulge in a complete soak...mermaidish drying and preening afterwards...no particular benefit other than a very mild water rinse though.

Seeshami
February 4th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I didn't notice a difference when I soaked, there was no keeping The Naughty Mess out of the water he lost the hair tie.

The Naughty Mess says, "It was pink, what did you think I would do with it? Love it and cherish it forever, blarg. Gross."

ravenreed
February 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM
These hot springs are not sulphury, thank goodness. Thanks for all the replies. Here (http://www.riverbendhotsprings.com/minerals.html) are the mineral contents, if anyone is interested.

BambooBeauty
February 4th, 2013, 09:40 PM
In the summer i went to a hot spring for the first time. My skin and hair felt sooo soft after i went swimmy/soaking in the hot spring.

BambooBeauty
February 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM
swimming**** lol

trolleypup
February 4th, 2013, 10:07 PM
These hot springs are not sulphury, thank goodness. Thanks for all the replies. Here (http://www.riverbendhotsprings.com/minerals.html) are the mineral contents, if anyone is interested.
Looking at the mineral contents, I would want to rinse my hair afterwards if I got it wet in that water.

*puts hair up, slips into spring*

ravenreed
February 11th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I tried to keep my hair out of the springs, but it got a little wet anyway. It seems to have survived just fine. It was such a wonderful trip.

gossamer
February 11th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Hot springs are fantastic! We got to go to some a couple weeks ago. The first night, I washed my hair afterwards, but the second night it only got a bit damp so I left it and it seemed fine once it dried.

So glad you enjoyed your trip!

ravenreed
February 11th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks! I had great company, great food, great wine, the rooms were adorable... what's not to love? Yeah, mine was just a little damp and soaking made me so tired I fell asleep without rinsing my hair. Oops! But I couldn't tell any difference.