PDA

View Full Version : cutting hair help please!

marlb91
February 4th, 2013, 04:05 PM
i was thinking of cutting in a fringe using this method

http://www.retrochick.co.uk/2009/08/18/step-by-step-how-to-cut-your-own-fringe/

but i was thinking about how much my hair stretches when wet because i really dont want my fringe to be very short accidentally! does anyone else cut their fringe while wet and how much do you predict your hair shrinks while dry? fyi my hair is fine with low porosity thanks!

jojo
February 4th, 2013, 04:25 PM
When i had a fringe, i always cut it dry as my fringe is quite wurly and it was too easy to trim too much off. I trim my length the same way; always dry.

if you are to trim whilst wet, id trim half what you think needs to come off, theres nothing worse than trimming too much off!

Amygirl8
February 4th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Typically, I find that it is always recommended to cut your fringe dry.
I can imagine hair can shrink up to a quarter or half an inch or maybe more, depending on the hair- especially if it's curly since water loosens the curls.
I've always cut my hair dry, bangs included. You can try the method with dry hair, but if it really is too difficult to cut (I would blame this on the fact that she was using ordinary paper scissors and not actually sharp scissors) you can wet down the ends a tiny bit.
Be mindful when doing it, and only take off a little each time until you get to your desired length.

torrilin
February 4th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I would not cut wavy or curly hair wet. Hell, I don't cut my 1c almost dead straight hair wet!

For all the site claims to be about retro looks, I don't find most of her hair tutorials to be very good. They may give a look she finds satisfying, but they do not particularly look like photographs I've seen or advertisements I've seen from the 1940s. There are a lot of other bloggers who do a better job on hair, particularly ones who get their hair cut according to vintage diagrams. (not really my thing for myself, but I adore primary source fashion history)

If you *must* have bangs and you want a vintage look, I'd learn about vintage haircutting diagrams. A common one was the "middy" cut, tho for most ladies on this board, that would give a result that's far too short, somewhere in the chin to shoulder length range depending on your proportions. IIRC the Fedora Lounge forum has a long thread on it, with a number of different cutting diagram citations and scans. It seems to suit a lot of hairtypes very well, and it lends itself to going longer pretty easily.