PDA

View Full Version : Undamaged roots are dull and damaged ends are bright and shiny!?

loveisdivine
February 4th, 2013, 06:37 AM
So I've been doing well since I joined. My hair is growing and I no longer use my straightners at all. I still have a lot of white dots on the bottom 3 inches but its getting better.

Anyway my problem is, the top 5 inches(maybe more) of my hair is quite dull looking. The colour isnt very vibrant and it doesnt have much shine. My damaged, white dot filled, ends on the other hand are a nice vibrant goldy/auburn colour and are very shiny.

My OH has noticed this, so its not just me being OTT. Why would this be? How can the damaged ends look so much healthier and shinier than my new roots that have only ever been subjected to a warm hairdryer?

You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the below photo.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/941EF0B0-528A-41DF-8108-F063DD7136C7-2535-000001EB9A93D8D9_zps58e9f1a2.jpg

hafattack
February 4th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Mine are the same way.. i credit it to dye residue. So far the color difference is slight, though my length has a special shine my roots lack. I dont really feel like doing anything about it haha. You might try a henna gloss to get some shine

jacqueline101
February 4th, 2013, 07:39 AM
That's different I wonder if it's not dye residue.

spidermom
February 4th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I see shine at the top, too.

loveisdivine
February 4th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Well its not the best picture to show it really. It seems like the bottom half has so much more colour. I hear what you say about dye residue, but I've only ever dies my hair darker and that was years ago. Would darker dye make it look lighter/brighter.

Its no big deal really, but seeing the lovely ends is making me want to dye it so its bright and shiny all over.

Lyv
February 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM
When my roots grow out it looks that way too. I always assumed it was because it hasn't been in the sun as much and I only use conditioner on the length so it doesn't pick up as much shine.

starlamelissa
February 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I attribute it to generous conditioning on the ends, especially if you are a cone lover. Try a coney shampoo or give your roots a day or so to produce their own shine.

hafattack
February 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I always dyed mine darker too and the dark faded and left red tones

torrilin
February 4th, 2013, 12:35 PM
All hair dye uses peroxide to lift the hair's cuticle and allow the dye to bond with your hair. The only exceptions are stuff sold as deposit only or wash out formulas where it says explicitly that it's only supposed to last a short time. Semi and demi permanent dyes will still have peroxide, even in the darkest blacks.

It looks like your natural color is somewhere in the ash blonde/ash brown/blonette range. I have similar hair, and I usually describe it as brownish blondish reddish because it's such a mix. Indoors, it can look pretty bland. In full sun, it lights up and it's easier to see all the different colors. A lot of hair in this kind of coloration will sunbleach very easily, so it gets streaks or highlights from the sun. And when you use even a super low peroxide concentration on it, it will get much lighter than you'd otherwise expect. So what you're seeing is the effect of the peroxide after there's no more dye left on your hair.

If you prefer the dyed look, that's fine. I usually go through fits and starts, sometimes I'm into it, most of the time I'm not.

lapushka
February 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM
To me it rather looks the other way round. I see your roots and a fair bit of the length as being nice and healthy, not so much the ends or the lengths of your hair.

loveisdivine
February 5th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Now I'm worried that my hair might be more damaged than I thought.

Thanks for the replies. The leftover peroxide makes sense torrilin, thanks. Heres some pics of the ends, how damaged do you think they are? Oh and also another version of the pic in the OP that has better light. How does it look damage wise, overall? It doesnt look too bad does it?

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/A0406138-7CBC-45D8-83E1-B38E5E95579D-3357-00000253B1D477EB_zps66cc3b02.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/7EA3FE27-BB58-48AE-83D4-74D1B4B7E76B-3357-000002539515826E_zps9acd74c7.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/16E72FAC-A31E-4528-8BAF-A7BCEEBCC6F8-3357-000002538BE98BDE_zps03c4be7f.jpg

I guess in this next picture the top does look shinier than the bottom. But I think its maybe cos I was standing under a light. Honestly, it doesnt normally look like that. Maybe it depends on the light. But like I said my OH has noticed it too so it cant just be me.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/A0D2EE9E-A74A-44A0-B49F-0222D37BC53D-19291-0000167D20905BB9.jpg

Siiri
February 5th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Heres some pics of the ends, how damaged do you think they are? Oh and also another version of the pic in the OP that has better light. How does it look damage wise, overall? It doesnt look too bad does it?

To me it looks pretty good in the pictures. There are some shorter hairs sticking out in the last picture you posted, but it might be just new growth. Mine looks a bit like that too, and it doesn't have a lot of damage (I'm a 1c/2a). You say you have some white dots on the ends, so it is somewhat damaged, but if that's what your hair looks like in real life, I wouldn't be worried. The damage will grow out eventually, and all hair has some damage anyway.

loveisdivine
February 5th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Yeah it does have quite a few dots and only some splits. I just panic sometimes that its more damaged than I think it is and I should be doing more to combat it. Or that I;m going to have to chop it all off!

Maybe a bit of S&D will calm my worries.

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I can certainly see shine at the top of your hair! I will agree that the colour is maybe a bit duller, perhaps (not that it's a bad colour... it's just more ashy than the ends) and maybe that's what you mean when you think it's not as shiny?? It looks as though the length has been dyed in the past, and it's this dye that's giving it that different colour. However, the top DEFINITELY has shine!!!

loveisdivine
February 5th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Yes perhaps it is more the colour than the shine. Yes it has been dyed in the past, mostly darker. As a child I had ginger hair naturally. It seems these new roots are growing through more ashy though.

I guess I'll just have to enjoy the slight ombre look.

pelicano
February 5th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I know exactly what you mean, as I have this too. I'm a once-blonde, so you'd probably describe my hair as dark ash blonde. The top layer of my hair, as compared to the underneath hair that is protected, gets very dry and damaged, and those hairs are super shiny. It has to be a sign of damage.