PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried an herbal rinse or anything that made your hair curlier?

lole18
February 3rd, 2013, 11:08 AM
I want to find something to make my wavy hair (that used to be curly) curlier with tighter ringlets and bouncier with more volume i really love curls! So have you tried any herbal\natural remedy that gave you this results? but something that didn't make your hair darker either :)

jeanniet
February 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
I really think you are trying to do way too much to your hair right now, and it's very possible that trying too many different things could have a negative impact on it. At this point, I think pinpointing the cause of the excess shedding should be your main goal, and then worry about things like curl later. Herbal rinses can be great, but it can take a lot of experimentation to find something that works and doesn't cause your hair to be dry, brittle, shed more, etc. Also remember what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for you (which means more experimentation).

How's your shedding going? Is it better? It can take six months after starting medication for everything to even out. I'd count six months from your last normal thyroid count, and then see if it's started improving at that point.

lole18
February 4th, 2013, 05:27 AM
I really think you are trying to do way too much to your hair right now, and it's very possible that trying too many different things could have a negative impact on it. At this point, I think pinpointing the cause of the excess shedding should be your main goal, and then worry about things like curl later. Herbal rinses can be great, but it can take a lot of experimentation to find something that works and doesn't cause your hair to be dry, brittle, shed more, etc. Also remember what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for you (which means more experimentation).

How's your shedding going? Is it better? It can take six months after starting medication for everything to even out. I'd count six months from your last normal thyroid count, and then see if it's started improving at that point.

thanks for the advice i'll try to follow it :) it's been 7 years with my thyroid but the last time i changed my dosage was 10 months ago so i know that the thyyroid isn't the cause of it.. i'm trying castor and mustard oil right now :) the problem is i don't know how long should i keep it in my hair if i use it twice a week?

jeanniet
February 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
If I were you, what I would do is start keeping a very detailed journal. The first thing you should do is ask your doctor for copies of your test results and chart all those, along with dosage of your medications. Every time you have blood work done for your thyroid, chart the results. Then, when you try something new, try it for at least a month (unless it's an obvious disaster), and write down exactly what you do, and what results you see. Only try one thing at a time. That's really the only way to keep consistent track of everything. Otherwise, you're just jumping around and trying everything in sight, and you're not going to know what's helping and what isn't.

How often are you getting your blood work done? My son has been hypothyroid since just before he turned 13 (eight years now), and does blood work every six months (although he's at university now, so it's a little more difficult). I don't think he's had a medication change since he was 14 or maybe 15. One thing I did notice you mentioned was that your hair changed after your period began. Hormones do affect hair, and it's possible that some change in thickness and texture is simply due to a change from your childhood hair, and I don't think you can change that, if so. My hair developed more curl when I hit adolescence, and I think it lost some thickness, too.

rock007junkie
February 4th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I did an Amla treatment last week and it brought out curls I've never even seen before. It's a little bit of a pain to rinse out but totally worth it.

jeanniet
February 4th, 2013, 11:58 AM
For her, I'd be cautious about herbs like amla because some people seem to have increased shedding from them. I'm not sure why exactly--it could be the additional manipulation required, or additional rinsing. I know when I used henna/indigo, and also when I tried shikakai/amla washing, I had a ton of hair come out. I can afford it, but lole18 can't. That's another reason why I think her focus should be the shedding and worry about curl later.