PDA

View Full Version : Donating blood

UpNorth
February 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM
I'm thinking of donating blood, I've been ready to do it for years but I always come up with excuses for not going there. Anyway, I was thinking maybe this isn't such a good idea if I really care about growing my hair long? I think they take about 10% of the total amount of blood about three times a year, and it will take weeks before it is back to its normal amount. Could this have a negative affect on my growth? Maybe even cause some excessive shedding?

What do you think?

pepperminttea
February 3rd, 2013, 08:14 AM
I give blood three times a year. I've never noticed it impacting my hair at all, I still get 6"-6.5" growth a year. :) It's a bit scary the first time, but well worth it!

SnowyDream
February 3rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
I have given blood two times in my life and I've never noticed any hair thinning. I've had long hair most of my life, until I chopped and dyed it blond then black. Never doing that again, I felt like a plucked chicken that had been fried cause my hair was so crispy. :D

Isilme
February 3rd, 2013, 09:14 AM
I don't think it has any impact on your hair really. And if it had it would be a lousy reason not to donate blood. I can take fear of needles, fainting at the sight of blood and any other reason, but not that it might make your hair grow slower. But to each their own I guess, I would rather give doctors the means to save someone's life than have my grow an extra inch or two.

In2wishin
February 3rd, 2013, 09:15 AM
I donate blood regularly (and have for over 30 years) and have never noticed any negative effect. It is a minor inconvenience to you, but has the potential to save lives and I strongly recommend it to anyone who can.

Kyla
February 3rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
I've donated blood seven or eight times now, and have never noticed any difference in my growth. I also think it is very much worth the inconvenience. :) Go for it!

HumanBean
February 3rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
I really need to do this. I never have and I have the universal type. My family and I were just discussing this at dinner a couple nights ago.

Naiadryade
February 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
I'll add that donating blood is really easy, other than any nerves you might have the first time. There's a short interview. (If you've ever had sex with a man who's had sex with another man, don't tell them because that's an even stupider reason for them not to let you give blood than the fear of it slowing your hair growth.) Then you just lie there for 10 minutes or so squeezing a ball in your hand. And then, they give you free snacks and juice. And sometimes a sticker. Also, sometimes you'll get free movie tickets, or the chance to win free sports tickets, or things like that.

SGBSteve
February 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Free movie tickets? Free sports tickets? Lucky!! I always just got a sticker...

But yeah I wouldn't worry about it so much affecting your hair. Also I don't think it really takes that long for the blood to replenish itself. Just go for it. Its certainly an experience and you'll feel good knowing that you're helping others. Just look away when they're putting the needle in and it wont hurt as much.

QMacrocarpa
February 3rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
I've donated blood frequently for years, and it makes me feel good, like I make a small positive difference. I've never noticed any impact on my hair, but then, the benign-neglect vows I've taken specifically forbid me to obsess over my hair. :D

My advice is to bring a book with you, a lightweight one you can comfortably hold in one hand. I find it very nice to have something to read while quietly sitting or lying there.

I wouldn't provide incorrect answers to the questions you're asked. Naiadryade, if you feel your blood bank's policies to try to keep HIV out of the blood supply should be changed, I hope you contact your blood bank about it.

Kaelee
February 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
I'll add that donating blood is really easy, other than any nerves you might have the first time. There's a short interview. (If you've ever had sex with a man who's had sex with another man, don't tell them because that's an even stupider reason for them not to let you give blood than the fear of it slowing your hair growth.) Then you just lie there for 10 minutes or so squeezing a ball in your hand. And then, they give you free snacks and juice. And sometimes a sticker. Also, sometimes you'll get free movie tickets, or the chance to win free sports tickets, or things like that.

I agree with this. If you're a gay man you're banned from donating for life, it's not the Red Cross' fault, it's the FDA being severely homophobic in the face of all science and reason.

ETA:
I wouldn't provide incorrect answers to the questions you're asked. Naiadryade, if you feel your blood bank's policies to try to keep HIV out of the blood supply should be changed, I hope you contact your blood bank about it.

The blood banks can NOT change the policy. It's not their policy. It's the FDA. And the old gays are all HIV risks is outdated, they have much better methods for testing the blood when they take it. Red Cross is fighting unsuccessfully to change the rules.

I gave blood once, the second time I tried, I was turned away because my pulse rate was too high. (I have an anxiety disorder, so my heart rate went way up.) Now I'm not afraid of needles (piercings and tattoos...are usually a reason I can't donate because I get a new one about once a year! lol) but I'm afraid of rejection, so I haven't got up the nerve to try to donate again. :(

Bad me, I really really should.

Sharysa
February 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
I've been wanting to donate blood for a while, but I can never keep my weight to the safe minimum. Last I checked, it was somewhere around 110 pounds, but I hover around 100-105 pounds most of the time since I'm tiny.

Nobody's ever mentioned that donating blood has affected their hair quality, so that most likely means you shouldn't be concerned about that.

Naiadryade
February 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Free movie tickets? Free sports tickets? Lucky!! I always just got a sticker...

But yeah I wouldn't worry about it so much affecting your hair. Also I don't think it really takes that long for the blood to replenish itself. Just go for it. Its certainly an experience and you'll feel good knowing that you're helping others. Just look away when they're putting the needle in and it wont hurt as much.

Yeah, I got a free movie ticket once. And the Boston Red Sox have this "blood donor of the game" thing, so if you donate near Boston during baseball season you can enter to win free Red Sox tickets and be announced as the blood donor of the game. I'm not sure if any other sports teams do this.

And I always make sure to look at the needle as they're putting it in! I like it. But I'm kind of a freak...

I agree with this. If you're a gay man you're banned from donating for life, it's not the Red Cross' fault, it's the FDA being severely homophobic in the face of all science and reason.

ETA:
The blood banks can NOT change the policy. It's not their policy. It's the FDA. And the old gays are all HIV risks is outdated, they have much better methods for testing the blood when they take it. Red Cross is fighting unsuccessfully to change the rules.

Wow, thanks for the information! I had no idea... I feel better about the Red Cross now. It makes sense though, as the FDA are jerks in pretty much all the other ways possible too, so bigotry isn't a huge stretch. And yeah, it's not just gay men who are banned for life... it's also any woman who has EVER had sex with a bisexual man. Even if it was one time, years ago, and you've been tested for HIV multiple times since then and are negative. Think of all the safe blood they're missing out on! It's a downright homophobic policy that's not based in any kind of science, and it's the only question I recommend lying about.

I gave blood once, the second time I tried, I was turned away because my pulse rate was too high. (I have an anxiety disorder, so my heart rate went way up.) Now I'm not afraid of needles (piercings and tattoos...are usually a reason I can't donate because I get a new one about once a year! lol) but I'm afraid of rejection, so I haven't got up the nerve to try to donate again. :(

I've gotten rejected before because my blood iron levels were too low--I was borderline anemic for years. This is a good reason to turn someone away, lol! Good thing I eat lots of leafy greens now. Nettles are not just good for your hair, they're good for your blood too!

Kaelee
February 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Wow, thanks for the information! I had no idea... I feel better about the Red Cross now. It makes sense though, as the FDA are jerks in pretty much all the other ways possible too, so bigotry isn't a huge stretch. And yeah, it's not just gay men who are banned for life... it's also any woman who has EVER had sex with a bisexual man. Even if it was one time, years ago, and you've been tested for HIV multiple times since then and are negative. Think of all the safe blood they're missing out on! It's a downright homophobic policy that's not based in any kind of science, and it's the only question I recommend lying about.

Yea, it's downright disgusting. (And frankly...you can't necessarily know your partner's history either! I mean, I slept with a guy that I really do not know the history of, and there's always lies. So how can you know? How can THEY know? I do know that I don't have HIV though. I've been tested.)

Science actually proves that it's not an issue anymore. Homosexuals MAY have a higher risk of contracting HIV, but with testing techniques and prevention...I don't think a gay man is any higher risk than I am and I would gladly accept a gay mans blood into my body if he had been tested (same as with a straight man or woman. I want CLEAN blood but I don't care what orientation the person giving it is!)

I've gotten rejected before because my blood iron levels were too low--I was borderline anemic for years. This is a good reason to turn someone away, lol! Good thing I eat lots of leafy greens now. Nettles are not just good for your hair, they're good for your blood too!

They told me, with a pulse rate that high, i WOULD have a reaction (well ****. I'm prone to fainting. Just ask my piercer! lol I think a little fainting is worth it to help someone, and I really don't mind fainting for a good cause. :D)

Kyla
February 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM

ETA:
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't know the Red Cross' exact policy with tattoos, but with professionally done piercings you can donate within the year you've been pierced. When you answer "yes" to the piercing question on the survey the attendant or whoever will just talk to you to make sure it was done by a professional with a sterile, one-use needle. The earliest I have donated after being pierced was three weeks actually.

I can totally understand being afraid of rejection (I assume you mean being turned away when trying to donate). I have actually donated about seven times, but I've been rejected three, all for low hemoglobin levels. Despite their kindness, I always feel really embarrassed. It sucks. :( But I think it's really worth it in the end.

Kaelee
February 3rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
I don't know the Red Cross' exact policy with tattoos, but with professionally done piercings you can donate within the year you've been pierced. When you answer "yes" to the piercing question on the survey the attendant or whoever will just talk to you to make sure it was done by a professional with a sterile, one-use needle. The earliest I have donated after being pierced was three weeks actually.

I can totally understand being afraid of rejection (I assume you mean being turned away when trying to donate). I have actually donated about seven times, but I've been rejected three, all for low hemoglobin levels. Despite their kindness, I always feel really embarrassed. It sucks. :( But I think it's really worth it in the end.

The piercing thing is only true in a state that regulates piercing studios, no matter how sure you are that your piercings were done with sterile equipment etc. (all of mine are, but I have no idea whether PA regulates, actually.)

The rule is 1 year after a tattoo, regardless of where it was done.

Kyla
February 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
The piercing thing is only true in a state that regulates piercing studios, no matter how sure you are that your piercings were done with sterile equipment etc. (all of mine are, but I have no idea whether PA regulates, actually.)

The rule is 1 year after a tattoo, regardless of where it was done.

Ah, that I didn't know. I suppose Oregon (where I live) regulates then, which is good to know. :)

UpNorth
February 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I will definitely do it!

My old boss told me she could choose between a glass of wine, a movie ticket or give money to charity each time she gave her blood:) I will choose charity.

Isilme
February 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
Good for you! :) More people should donate blood, I think Sweden has a constant short supply of blood. Just make sure you are healthy, well rested, fed and have had something to drink. And don't rush it, take your time.

PolarCathy
February 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
:thudpile: for the courage it takes, really. I just think of blood and I faint. There's no way I'd survive this and I've survived lots of things. :thudpile: again!

If I ever overcome this PANICK I will donate...

In2wishin
February 3rd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Good for you! :) More people should donate blood, I think Sweden has a constant short supply of blood. Just make sure you are healthy, well rested, fed and have had something to drink. And don't rush it, take your time.

Second this ^^^^^ The only time I ever fainted in giving my 4+ gallons of blood was when I went there late morning having eaten only a small breakfast a few hours earlier.

My state regulates tattoo parlors. I copied this from the website:

If your tattoo was applied by a licensed facility in Wisconsin, you can donate blood. If your tattoo was applied by an unlicensed facility or a facility outside Wisconsin, we require a 12-month waiting period from the time the tattoo was applied

ravenreed
February 3rd, 2013, 08:34 PM
I have donated over a gallon of blood so far, in spite of a needle phobia going back to my childhood. It hasn't impacted my hair one tiny little bit.

Seeshami
February 4th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I am not allowed to give blood. The one and only time I did I was fine the first few seconds and then pretty much zombified for 20 minutes. I don't know what's wrong with me but needle in the arm blood come out-y-ness makes me sorta pass out/loose all logical thought and ability to speaky da enrgish.

Kaelee
February 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I am not allowed to give blood. The one and only time I did I was fine the first few seconds and then pretty much zombified for 20 minutes. I don't know what's wrong with me but needle in the arm blood come out-y-ness makes me sorta pass out/loose all logical thought and ability to speaky da enrgish.

Wow, 20 minutes? I tend to faint when I'm injured etc, but that's only a minute or so and I wake up just fine (if disoriented, embarrassed and a little woozy).

Naiadryade
February 4th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Eat dark leafy greens! Kale, collards, nettles, even spinach... Eating lots of kale and drinking nettle tea regularly brought my levels back up to normal. And being well-nourished can't hurt your hair, either!

Seeshami
February 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Wow, 20 minutes? I tend to faint when I'm injured etc, but that's only a minute or so and I wake up just fine (if disoriented, embarrassed and a little woozy).

Yup. I scared a bunch of people. I only lost consciousness for a minute but after that I was very odd.

imaroo
February 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I've given over a gallon. Maybe two at this point? I'm not really sure. I've never noticed any health effects, whether to my hair or to anything else. I've been turned down twice. Once for low iron, which was a weird anomaly for me, and once for a high pulse rate because I'd just downed 20 oz of coffee. :o turns out not all fluids are equal.

jojo
February 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I give blood a couple of times a year and have never noticed an impact on my hair growth or otherwise. Unfortunately ive not been allowed for the past 12 months due to anaemia, hoping to re- start in spring.