PDA

View Full Version : Pets and Haircare

Mandie
February 1st, 2013, 07:00 PM
So I haven't been around much. By "much" I mean the last time I logged into this account was apparently four years ago. O_O

I've recently decided to get more into taking good care of my hair, I'm at the length where it usually gets crunchy and scraggly and I hack it off so I am desperately trying to keep from doing it. I'm also terrified I'm at terminal way, way shy of where I want to go.

So in the interest of lovely soft hair I doused my hair with oils and some honey and was sitting with a shower cap and a warm towel wrapped around my hair. Apparently my dog, whose nose has never been this good before, traced the source of the smell. So she crept up behind me since I was sitting on the couch leaning against the arm, took hold of the towel, and yanked it off of my head. Now she's stalking my hair with big loud pointed sniffing while licking her lips. :yumm:

:bigeyes:

Anyone else have a dog who is VERY EXTREMELY INTERESTED when you try to oil your hair?

melusine963
February 2nd, 2013, 01:55 AM
I don't have a dog, but I'm laughing at the mental image of your hungry dog stalking your hair. This is what we LHCers get for putting the contents of our fridge on our heads. :rollin:

auburntressed
February 2nd, 2013, 02:09 AM
10 thingy.........

silverthread
February 2nd, 2013, 07:41 AM
so i haven't been around much. By "much" i mean the last time i logged into this account was apparently four years ago. O_o

i've recently decided to get more into taking good care of my hair, i'm at the length where it usually gets crunchy and scraggly and i hack it off so i am desperately trying to keep from doing it. I'm also terrified i'm at terminal way, way shy of where i want to go.

So in the interest of lovely soft hair i doused my hair with oils and some honey and was sitting with a shower cap and a warm towel wrapped around my hair. Apparently my dog, whose nose has never been this good before, traced the source of the smell. So she crept up behind me since i was sitting on the couch leaning against the arm, took hold of the towel, and yanked it off of my head. Now she's stalking my hair with big loud pointed sniffing while licking her lips. :yumm:

:bigeyes:

Anyone else have a dog who is very extremely interested when you try to oil your hair?

i love dogs!!

jacqueline101
February 2nd, 2013, 07:44 AM
I have cats every time time I go to the refrigerator mine come running.

Curly Hermione
February 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
My dog has never shown an interest in my hair, except for the odd sniff when I put odd stuff in it, but he does try to lick any lotion or oil off my legs! It really tickles! I have to make sure I cover them up before I come downstairs - why does he find that more appealing than his actual dog food? :)

sharonluvscats
February 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
One of my cats likes to chew on my hair. If I sit on the couch with my hair flowing down the back, she will try to climb it.

Dorothy
February 2nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Her is a picture of my Dreamboat, Kali, Goddess of Destruction and Retribution. It's a hot day, and the bedroom is air conditioned.
http://s9.postimage.org/i6b1vabej/Kali_Nose_shot.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/i6b1vabej/)

And again during a thunderstorm:
http://s12.postimage.org/r3io9zcx5/July_4_2012_011.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/r3io9zcx5/)

She licks coconut oil off my body or my hair, likes to rearrange my hair with paws or tongue, licks my face and hair when I am in the upside down, prebun combing position, puts her arms around my neck, paws my hair, bites my bun, general big dog love stuff. She's so fabulous I tolerate hair damage from all this. She sleeps with me. It's worth it.

Pics turned out tiny, but clickable, I think. OH PICTURES ON THE INTERNET! You continue to elude me.

panffle
February 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
My dog has never really done anything to my hair when I oil it, but when I do, I make sure to apply a bit of oil to his fur as well... He enjoys it hehe.

swearnsue
February 2nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
I sleep with two braids that Kitty will suddenly play with, claws flying, silk pillowcase getting snagged!

Tota
February 2nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
My cat likes to lie on my hair at night when I'm too lazy to bun or braid it before going to bed. I think he likes the smell because he buries his nose into it and sleeps like an angel :heart: I don't own a dog but my aunt's dog attacked my braid while we were playing. She basically grabbed my braid and started to pull me around the room. We looked like a dog with a human on a leash. It was so funny it didn't even hurt :D

MasCat
February 2nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
I get lots of cat hair in my hair. And one of my cats tries to steal hairsticks. And all my cats steal my elastics :)

shutterpillar
February 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
My dog looooves coconut oil, and she stalks me when I put it on my hair in large amounts. It probably doesn't help that I feed it to her anyway on a regular basis (its helps her skin issues) so she probably thinks it's her food and is wondering why I am wearing it on my head!

SugarPlumDreams
February 2nd, 2013, 09:15 PM
When I oil my hair, I usually add a drop off essential oil (like jasmine) and my dog is not particularly keen on that.

However, whenever I put coconut oil on my skin, she goes crazy for it, and will lick it all off my arms, if I'd let her!

young&reckless
February 2nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
My hair is far from safe with my teething puppy around. He loves to play with my braid tassel and all but eats Mt hands post oiling. I get trapped a lot at night as he wiggles in between my and my SO.

Addy
February 2nd, 2013, 11:24 PM
I have a Rottweiler with the wettest tongue in Pennsylvania that just loves to lick EVOO and lotion off my hands. The Boxer loves to lick behind my ears! lol They are lucky I love them so much!

Naiadryade
February 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Now for something a little different...

I just moved out of living with a couple who run an animal sanctuary, and rescue farm animals and birds on a regular basis. In December they rescued a baby goat, who they're keeping in the house until spring because he's still tiny and it's cold out. My god, if I ever forgot to bun my hair before leaving my room, he'd be trying to eat it in a second! And if I did remember to bun it, no problem, he'd just eat my clothes instead...

He was really interested in the catnip, too. Not when it was on my hair, but when I was getting out the dried herb to brew it. I offered some to him and he ate it eagerly. Does anyone know if catnip affects goats?? :hooched:

Now I'm living with a dog, which I am super excited about because I love dogs :puppykisses: but can't have one of my own yet due to my summer job and my continual lack of money. I haven't done any treatments yet since I've been here, but I'm due for one soon... so we'll see!

Sharysa
February 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
I have a dachshund/spaniel mix, and she tends to lick my legs and hands for attention. Occasionally when I'm sitting on the couch and giving her a good ear-scratch, she manages to lick my braid.

longforthis
February 4th, 2013, 10:10 AM
My sisters dog loves it when I use coconut oil on my skin. Only once has she gotten my hair when I had coconut oil in it! lol

I would have to use lard for my dog to notice, lol. He's 9 pounds, and is as ravenous as a wolf. LOL He eats most things, but only goes crazy for carrots when it comes to vegetables!

TheMechaGinger
February 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Not a dog, I have a cat who is. Once I oiled my hair with coconut and peppermint EO and babycat (that's what we call her, our other cat is kittymama) went insane. She actually chewed a small piece of my hair off so now I have a very little three inch chunk in the front that sticks up if I'm not careful. Thank goodness it's small and mostly unnoticeable. She hasn't tried chewing it again, now she just grabs sections with her paws and tries to lick it clean. She absolutely loves unrefined coconut oil. She eats it out of my jar if I leave the lid off. Because of her obsession I can't do over night oiling any more, she pounces on my head all night. She goes especially nuts over the peppermint oil so I try to make that a rare occurrence. She drives me crazy! Love her though:]

neko_kawaii
February 4th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I used to have some Burt's Bees coconut foot lotion that made my cats go nuts and attack my feet under the blankets (I wore it at night). They also went crazy over some mint foot lotion, but I've never seen them interested in coconut oil or catnip in my hair.

irisheyes
February 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I've had 3 Brittany Spaniels in my lifetime. Each one lived to old age. We must have been quite a sight together, because my hair was as red as theirs!

My last Brittany was freaked out whenever I had a towel on my head after a shampoo. She would bark and growl at me until I spoke to let her know it was me - then she would get such a look of relief on her face and be oh so happy to see me.

I love dogs.