PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to cut down on drying time

Curlsgirl
August 26th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I like to let my hair dry naturally with conditioner and oil in it but even this summer at its longer length it takes forever to dry. I only CWC once a week, maybe twice but yesterday I did this when I got in from yard work at 6:00 and it was still damp this morning a bit.

It's a bit more tricky with curls I guess since there is the "frizz factor" and also you want to keep the curl formation in tact as much as possible.

I have to admit that this is why I have a temptation to blow it dry esp. in the winter.

Oh and one thing, blow drying on cool is like doing nothing for me honestly, makes no dent in it. It seems like putting my hair up in a MF towel causes a little more frizz with or without plopping.

sibylla
August 26th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I switch to a new dry towel after a while, that speeds it up. Every drop you squeeze out in the bathtub cuts the drying period by minutes. I also use a spanish sunfeather (?) to blow dry the hair.
Hope this helps!

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Sorry Curlsgirl, you are blessed with thicker hair than me ;) My hair takes about five hours to be "dry enough". I've found that the AGO mix (I know, I always bring that up) reduces the frizz dramatically. I no longer look like a tumble-dried Mogwai while my hair is drying :D I can now wash my hair in the morning and go about my day without having to hide inside until my hair is dry and the frizz has passed :cheer:

RedCardigan
August 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Micro-fiber and terry cloth towels always caused major frizz for me. I recently discovered that flour-sack towels don't. They seem to wick the water better or something. They are thin and I usually have to use two of them. Luckily they're cheap, I got a pack of 5 for $5 at WM.

I scrunch as much water out of my hair with one of them,apply gel and then use a dry one to plop. My hair is so thick it takes for.ever.er to dry but these seem to help abit.
HTH!

Silver & Gold
August 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I also use a spanish sunfeather (?) to blow dry the hair.
Hope this helps!

"Spanish Sunfeather? I'm dying to know what this is. Can you explain or provide a web link with one pictured?

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 07:58 AM
"Spanish Sunfeather? I'm dying to know what this is. Can you explain or provide a web link with one pictured?

Yay! I thought I was just out of the loop ;)

Silver & Gold
August 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Yay! I thought I was just out of the loop ;)

Or at least you and I have someone to stand outside of the loop and play with.

We could play poker and use chocolate bits instead of poker chips. *Eyes the chocolate smudges on the playing cards and realizes the 'poker chips' aren't going to last very long.* Or perhaps we could just eat chocolate?

Lamb
August 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Two words: paper towels. They soak up more water than you would imagine. Just use them with "crunching" movements, and your curls will be fine.

Arctic
August 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
This is not for curly hair, unfortunately, but I have noticed when I fingercomb while it's wet, breaking the bigger clumps of hair gently into smaller locks, kind of like fanning them. And fluffing the scalp hair. This makes my hair dry very fast.

anna1850
August 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I've found that the AGO mix (I know, I always bring that up) reduces the frizz dramatically.

OK, I give up. What does AGO stand for :confused:

I tried searching but it needs to be more than 3 letters to be searchable so it didn't work.

pariate
August 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Anna :) It's Aloe gel (I use tablespoon), Glycerin (half a teaspoon) and Oil (I use a couple of drops each of jojoba and avocado). I also add a little orange essential oil for scent. It's glorious, love this stuff! Moisturises like nothing on earth, gives great curl definition and virtually eliminates frizz!

So glad you asked ;) :lol:

curly girl fla
August 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I do have to diffuse everyday when I go to work, but I scrunch and plop into a CurlEase or Flour Sack towel. They really seem to absorb the water and not as much product. I also have a radiant dryer that I purchased really cheap at Sally's. I've started using this after air-drying almost all the way or after diffusing about 75% or so, and it really speeds things up if you need to scrunch out any crunch :)

anna1850
August 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hi Anna :) It's Aloe gel (I use tablespoon), Glycerin (half a teaspoon) and Oil (I use a couple of drops each of jojoba and avocado). I also add a little orange essential oil for scent. It's glorious, love this stuff! Moisturises like nothing on earth, gives great curl definition and virtually eliminates frizz!

I have all those things. I ought to try it sometime. Although I don't really have much of a frizz problem since giving up my old SLS anti-dandruff shampoo. My frizz used to be so bad that I'd actually just tweeze out all the sticking-up hairs! But more definition would be good.

I just got glycerin recently because curlsgirl had a spray recipe that I've been meaning to try. I ought to try that too. So many experiments, so little time :)

thunderlilies
August 26th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I have no idea if this would work on curly hair, but it works excellently for me. Stand in front of a fan!! It dries my hair super fast without the heat from a blow dryer! I usually stand in front of the fan while combing, so knots are at a minimum.

Honey39
August 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I've been putting it in a turbie for half an hour and then letting air dry - my hair's really thick, but not that long. I wash it about 6.30, then let it down at 7.30 (like an animal, lol); half an hour in a warmish flat and then leave the house at 8. My hair is wet but not sopping, and because curly doesn't look too bad. It's mostly dry by mid-morning, say 11.30. I don't know what I'm going to do in the winter though. It's not soaking though, so it's not been uncomfortable yet, and my hair is adoring this routine, with no hair dryer involved for the first time in about 25 years!!

AmselJoey
August 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I love AGO, too! :waving:

I go the way of Kimberlily's defrizz spray: 1 tsp Glycerin, 1 tsp Jojoba Oil, and 1 tbsp Aloe Vera Gel mixed with distilled water in an 8 ounce spray bottle I believe it is (may want to check though, plus there seem to be lots of variations). I read about it in the Wavy Women thread and have been hooked ever since! Like pariate also said it works wonders to both reduce my frizz and add moisture. :)

It's my new secret weapon for my hair. Such a relief to find, since this summer I made a commitment to put down both my blowdryer and flat iron for good! We'll see how this goes once winter hits here in CT though....:neutral:

AmselJoey :happydance:

tinabcurly
August 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
This will only work if you have a commute but... I use the vents in my car to dry on the way to work. I turn the vents on high heat to jumpstart it & once it starts to get crunchy I switch to high AC. 50 minutes later I'm 80% dry & scrunch out the crunch in the parking lot. Even with all that it still takes another 2-3 hours to be fully dry. (my hair's really thick I guess)

When I do my hair at night it takes like 18 hours to dry so I guess I'm no help there. Can you diffuse on warm heat? I don't do it enough to tell a difference so I don't know if warm will cause damage.

AmselJoey
August 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I do commute and that's a great idea! I have thick hair, too, so here's hoping. Especially since I never got the hang of diffusing.

Thanks tinabcurly :D

Cichelle
August 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Like Lamb, I use paper towels. They work like a charm.

tinabcurly
August 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Glad to help, AmselJoey!:D

CaityBear
August 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Ahh, I love this thread! I'm having this problem.

I wake up at 7 and shower before school and I prefer to put my hair up for the day so I have to try to get my hair as dry as possible and it takes so long to dry. I have about an hour to let it dry...I have stood in front of my fan, but I don't have enough time to stand there long enough. I should try doing it while combing my hair.

Forest
August 27th, 2008, 04:09 AM

I'm also glad she asked, I was wondering as well. I should try this. Should be good during the long, cold, dark, dry winter that will hit us before we know it.

About drying: I second the use of two different towels, I like the curlease or similar.

pariate
August 27th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I'm also glad she asked, I was wondering as well. I should try this. Should be good during the long, cold, dark, dry winter that will hit us before we know it.

:D HTH. I also use a little coconut oil when my hair is almost dry to help nourish and seal in the moisture, but I use the teeniest tiniest amount.

Nes
August 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM
*Hijack*

I was glad to see this issue come up as this is a big problem for me.

My hair is very thick. I wash it in the morning and wear it in a turbie for an hour. Even if I leave it down all day in summer, it is still very wet inside by the time I go to bed. It takes about 48 hours to dry fully, so I end up blowfrying out of exasperationas going to be with wet hair gives me a cricked neck.

Do any other type iii's have this problem? Is there anything I can do to make my hair dry faster?

Nes
August 27th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Edit: Sorry that should be going to bed with wet hair.

pariate
August 27th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I like to let my hair dry naturally with conditioner and oil in it...

Curlsgirl, I went back over your posts to check if you mentioned the oil factor. When do you apply the oil? Is it very early in the drying phase? If so I suggest you try waiting until the hair is a little dryer. If I add oil to my hair when it's wet it will take all day to dry! I started waiting until the hair was damp - "not quite dry, cool to the touch" is how another LCHer described it! - and it didn't take anywhere near so long for my hair to dry. My hair still benefitted from the oil as there was enough moisture left in the hair at that stage.

Just a thought! :)

chelles2kids
August 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
The quickest way to dry my hair is to flip my head upside down, and loosely twist it up into a bun, then I will slip in a couple of the u-pin shaped knitting needles.
You will have to take it down and retwist in about every 1/2 hr. or so, but *usually* after about 4.5 hours or so, it's dry enough to take down so that the length and finish drying.

For some reason my underneath dries so much quicker this way and once I get that dried, the length doesn't seem to take as long?

Michelle

Curlsgirl
August 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Curlsgirl, I went back over your posts to check if you mentioned the oil factor. When do you apply the oil? Is it very early in the drying phase? If so I suggest you try waiting until the hair is a little dryer. If I add oil to my hair when it's wet it will take all day to dry! I started waiting until the hair was damp - "not quite dry, cool to the touch" is how another LCHer described it! - and it didn't take anywhere near so long for my hair to dry. My hair still benefitted from the oil as there was enough moisture left in the hair at that stage.

Just a thought! :)Thanks! I wait to apply the oil until it's almost dry, just barely damp OR to scrunch out the crunch if I miss the dampish stage:). It does better that way.

Good ideas. I don't have a long commute. I do have a curlease towel but it doesn't seem to absorb that well. I will definitely try the paper towels!

Tapioca
August 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Those of you that use paper towels:

Doesn't that get expensive? Or do you dry them out and reuse? ((Mental picture of a clothesline with paper towels paper-clipped to it))

Bene
August 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
i towel turban it for about half an hour, then loose bun it. take it down for a few minutes, then loose bun it again. i keep doing it until it's completely dry.

Curlsgirl
August 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Those of you that use paper towels:

Doesn't that get expensive? Or do you dry them out and reuse? ((Mental picture of a clothesline with paper towels paper-clipped to it))

:misskim:
I was wondering that. :ponder: