PDA

View Full Version : Wheat Germ Oil

silverthread
February 1st, 2013, 01:28 PM
I was at Wright's Nutrients yesterday and saw a bottle of unrefined Wheat Germ Oil on the shelf. Never tried it before, but heard good stuff about it. I bought some, and last night, I massaged some into my scalp, spritzed the ends of my hair with 5.5 pH water, then put the oil on the damp strands. I let it sit for an hour, then washed it out, and conditioned. Hair is silky and shiny today. Also made some body/face soap out of soapberry nuts and wheat germ oil, and my skin turned out really soft.

Anyone else tried wheat germ oil? How did you use it, and how did you like it?

spirals
February 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
No, but now I want to! I thought I had enough oils....

legendya
February 1st, 2013, 05:05 PM
I like it too. It makes my hair shiny + smooth when used as a prepoo.

renia22
February 1st, 2013, 05:42 PM
It works well on my hair so I keep an eye out for hair products that have it. Aubrey Organics uses it in some conditioners that I like, I believe. Not on my face, though. Since it's highly comedogenic & I've had acne on & off my whole teenage/adult life, I steer clear of it in facial products.

silverthread
February 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM
No, but now I want to! I thought I had enough oils....

LOL! That's what I thought about as I stood looking at the bottle of it on the shelf. Then I read on the label how it's got a lot of vitamin E, and I was sold. I thought, at the very least, I can put it on my salads.....

MORE
February 2nd, 2013, 01:47 AM
I bought a bottle for my skin but got the strongest allergic reaction ever. But I think I am allergic to wheat in general, so that may explain it. Really too bad because it seems like a great oil. I'd say go for it if your skin and hair seems to like it! :)

spirals
February 2nd, 2013, 03:16 AM
Then I read on the label how it's got a lot of vitamin E, and I was sold.
Ha! That's how I picked sunflower seed oil for my face. :cheese:

Joliebaby
February 2nd, 2013, 05:59 AM
Wheat germ oil is amazing. It has lots of ceramides and seems top make hair soft and strong! I've used it for all the same purposes as other oils, pre-poo and leave-in.

Luminaria
February 3rd, 2013, 12:50 AM
Ha! That's how I picked sunflower seed oil for my face. :cheese: Is sunflower seed oil comedogenic? Does it work well for hair too? I've tried Wheat Germ Oil and it boosts shine and makes my hair silky. I almost forgot I had it in the fridge.

spirals
February 3rd, 2013, 02:06 AM
Sunflower oil will sit on top of the hair, so in order to avoid greasiness, I put only the smallest amount in my hair oil mix. It doesn't break me out, but then nothing really does. I used to have terrible cystic acne, but it went away when I was around 25. I'm 39 now, so wrinkles are my big concern.

Luminaria
February 3rd, 2013, 02:18 AM
Sunflower oil will sit on top of the hair, so in order to avoid greasiness, I put only the smallest amount in my hair oil mix. It doesn't break me out, but then nothing really does. I used to have terrible cystic acne, but it went away when I was around 25. I'm 39 now, so wrinkles are my big concern. I'll be sure to use very little. I found that out the hard way with other oils >_> I'm hoping it will lessen the tangles I get in my hair. I still get acne, but it isn't as bad as it used to be. I still got to be careful though.

emzerelda
March 6th, 2017, 01:32 AM
Anyone know if wheat germ penetrates the hair? I have a bottle I bought for skincare until I realised how comodogenic it is, so would be good if I can use it on my hair! x

lapushka
March 6th, 2017, 04:09 AM
I don't know; don't think so, but that doesn't mean it's a bad oil. In a naturally curly article it said it had longer molecules than coconut oil, and coconut oil is a penetrating oil, so that leads me to think: no.

Here is a list of penetrating oils:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.be/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

Just do not throw away the oil. Just use it!!!

likelikepenny
March 6th, 2017, 05:26 AM
I know it has a very high spf, so perhaps that can be used in the summer?