PDA

View Full Version : Baby shampoo for sensitive scalp

legendya
January 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Are baby shampoos more gentler to the scalp? Do they clean well? I'm considering these baby shampoos: Aveeno Baby Organic Harvest Wash/Shampoo, California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash, Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Chamomile & Argan Oil Baby Head-to-Toe Wash & Shampoo, and Burt's Bees - Baby Bee Tear Free Shampoo & Wash. Has anyone tried any of these shampoos? If so, how was it like for you? Any pros/cons?

ravenreed
January 31st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Baby shampoos are PH balanced to be gentle to babies' eyes, but they are very harsh on the scalp.

IndigoOptimist
January 31st, 2013, 07:47 PM
I have used baby shampoo, I thought it might be better for my hair. I don't have a really sensitive scalp (except when I bleached my hair 3 times in one night, silly 14 year old me!), but it made my head REALLY itchy! I have the same problem with CO if I do it for too long, but this was worse! I don't know if all baby shampoos would do this and obviously everyone is different, but that's my experience ;)

torrilin
February 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM
I haven't found ingredients for the exact Aveeno baby shampoo you mention. It looks like most of their baby shampoos are pretty standard, built around Cocamidopropyl Betaine and sodium laureth sulfate. I find for me cocamidopropyl betaine works fine for washing from a getting clean standpoint, but it makes my hair tangle something awful. Most people seem to get on with it tho. They do have one where the ingredients stand out as different and in a good way: the Aveeno Baby Gentle Conditioning shampoo has the kind of mild detergents you'd find in an expensive curl friendly low lather shampoo. It's also fragrance free, so I think I'll see if I can find some to try.

The California Baby Super Sensitive shampoo and body wash is pretty similar to the Aveeno one I mentioned, but it has added protein. If your hair is protein sensitive, this is unlikely to be a happy shampoo choice.

I haven't tracked down ingredients for the Shea Moisture one.

The Baby Bee shampoo is a mix of cocamidopropyl betaine and milder detergents, but like the California Baby one, it has added protein.

The p.H issue is a bit tricky. I remember that adults scalps tend to be at the right p.H around 5-6, which is pretty acidic. But a lot of products that are quite alkaline can work out well when used with a vinegar rinse... If this concerns you, I'd do some more research and perhaps test the p.H of the products you like and the new ones. Personally, I'd worry more about the high protein :D.

bunnylake
February 1st, 2013, 07:54 AM
The Shea Moisture one is probably good. That line uses really gentle and safe ingredients as far as I know.

jeanniet
February 1st, 2013, 11:33 AM
I agree that the SheaMoisture one is probably good. I'd also recommend their moisture retention shampoo--it's very gentle, but cleans well. My scalp can be quite finicky and that shampoo has been ideal for both my hair and scalp.

legendya
February 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
I haven't found ingredients for the exact Aveeno baby shampoo you mention. It looks like most of their baby shampoos are pretty standard, built around Cocamidopropyl Betaine and sodium laureth sulfate. I find for me cocamidopropyl betaine works fine for washing from a getting clean standpoint, but it makes my hair tangle something awful. Most people seem to get on with it tho. They do have one where the ingredients stand out as different and in a good way: the Aveeno Baby Gentle Conditioning shampoo has the kind of mild detergents you'd find in an expensive curl friendly low lather shampoo. It's also fragrance free, so I think I'll see if I can find some to try. The California Baby Super Sensitive shampoo and body wash is pretty similar to the Aveeno one I mentioned, but it has added protein. If your hair is protein sensitive, this is unlikely to be a happy shampoo choice. I haven't tracked down ingredients for the Shea Moisture one. The Baby Bee shampoo is a mix of cocamidopropyl betaine and milder detergents, but like the California Baby one, it has added protein. The p.H issue is a bit tricky. I remember that adults scalps tend to be at the right p.H around 5-6, which is pretty acidic. But a lot of products that are quite alkaline can work out well when used with a vinegar rinse... If this concerns you, I'd do some more research and perhaps test the p.H of the products you like and the new ones. Personally, I'd worry more about the high protein :D. If the aveeno one is more curl friendly, it is worth a try. Yeah protein can be an issue...didn't think about that...but I'm planning on using it once in awhile and be mainly no poo. When I do use it, I will follow it with an ACV rinse. Thanks for your thorough response :)

legendya
February 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM
The Shea Moisture one is probably good. That line uses really gentle and safe ingredients as far as I know. Yeah, the ingredients look good, but I was wondering if the scent is strong...

legendya
February 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM
I agree that the SheaMoisture one is probably good. I'd also recommend their moisture retention shampoo--it's very gentle, but cleans well. My scalp can be quite finicky and that shampoo has been ideal for both my hair and scalp. I tried out the moisture retention shampoo, and it dries out my hair ALOT. I wonder if the baby shampoo is more gentler.

Angelica
February 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
I found baby shampoo quite nice at times. It has to be gentle because it is used on babies of course. MY 12 year old son washes his hair in baby shampoo and his hair is very thick and wavy, possibly genetic of course, but the shampoo is certainly doing him no harm.

jeanniet
February 1st, 2013, 06:08 PM
I tried out the moisture retention shampoo, and it dries out my hair ALOT. I wonder if the baby shampoo is more gentler.

Interesting-- it's about the only shampoo I've found that doesn't dry mine out!

torrilin
February 1st, 2013, 10:25 PM
If the aveeno one is more curl friendly, it is worth a try. Yeah protein can be an issue...didn't think about that...but I'm planning on using it once in awhile and be mainly no poo. When I do use it, I will follow it with an ACV rinse. Thanks for your thorough response :)

Well, I dunno that it's more curl friendly yet :D. I'm a 1c with super dry skin. If it doesn't piss my skin off, then I can toss it at the curly/psoriasis/eczema folks in the family to see how well it does for them. I borrow a lot of ideas in my routine from much curlier folks since my skin is dry and my hair is fine, but since I'm singularly lacking in curl I'm not a great indicator. I "just" react to fragrance, and not to all fragrance, so I am unfortunately the family guinea pig. Once stuff passes muster with my sister, and brother in law, then I'm fairly comfortable recommending it.

By no poo do you mean water only, sebum only, conditioner only, or something else? I know a lot of people seem to mean baking soda washes, and that's something I'd hesitate to do given how dry my skin is. Basically, I hit my scalp with diluted shampoo when it needs it... figure maybe once a week or so? Even with a product like the Aveeno Baby Gentle Conditioning shampoo, I'd expect to dilute it a lot before using it. For most cleansers, I take the Dr. Bonner's soap label to heart and I dilute, dilute, dilute.

If you're not hung up on the product's label, I've found things like fragrance free face and body wash can be good. The Oil of Olay sensitive skin wash is fragrance free and has fairly gentle detergents. I've also liked Cetaphil's Restoraderm body wash for my hair.

I wouldn't necessarily use a vinegar rinse with baby shampoo. A lot is going to depend on how the product's p.H is tuned, and it's not a given that all baby shampoos are really alkaline. If you know alkaline is a problem, or if you've got a vinegar rinse addiction anyway, sure. But otherwise, check the p.H yourself, or write to the manufacturer and ask. It's a pretty easy thing to investigate.