PDA

View Full Version : Hair appointment tomorrow, hair update

UltraBella
January 31st, 2013, 01:44 PM
Hello ! I haven't posted or updated about my hair in a long time. I've been away and off the radar. I have been getting the itch to cut again, I've cut a lot recently. For those who are unfamiliar with me, here's a recap :

I was at tailbone when straight :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/1ac423ce.jpg

I cut to armpit length :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/0c54a848.jpg

My layers grew out and got too fluffy :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/3575cb61.jpg

So I added more layers, thinned it out and cut back to armpit length again, this is the hair I have now, it's back to BSL and the layers have been heaven :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/00900ff681a04330aea7e46130f7ccdd.jpg

So, here I am. Wanting a change yet again. I figured I'd make my appointment and have time to consider my options, it usually takes several weeks to get in to my stylist. Nope, she had a cancelation for tomorrow. I told her to put me down for everything : highlights ? lowlights ? Both ? And a cut. I have to decide NOW.

I've been considering keeping some length and really super layering the top, or cutting much shorter. I found some pics online.

Type of shorter cut I am considering :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/ed37e45ee2fe6cc4b9d6f3799eb37c87.jpg

Or more bang/shorter top layers :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/03a84ee331744bc84d8a66233ef8e067.jpg

Or this :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/7fafd975228e9eea910dcd8ed257a747.jpg

I don't honestly know what I decide. Anyone else this indecisive ? I don't want to regret anything but at this point, a change is what I need. Any suggestions ?

spirals
January 31st, 2013, 01:54 PM
You'd look cute with long bangs. Of course, you're very pretty and have the coveted heart-shaped face, so you could do whatever you want.
We have the same cut now, so seeing your TB picture inspires me. If I brush mine out to waves it will look like that. And we have almost the same color.
If you're going to go shorter, I really like the top style. I had that, and people loved it on me. It would look better on you because your face isn't as wide s mine.

UltraBella
January 31st, 2013, 02:12 PM
Spirals, any photos you want to share ? I'd love to see your hair now or when you had the shorter cut.

wishywashy
January 31st, 2013, 02:14 PM
I love the second picture!

jeanniet
January 31st, 2013, 02:18 PM
I like #3, but I'm not sure exactly how she'd make it work with your volume so it wasn't too fluffy. I think something that length would look very cute on you.

Ravenwind
January 31st, 2013, 02:21 PM
I am very indecisive and I cut off my hair off of impulse last year. I ended up with a short angled bob and I ended up not liking it. I think if you want to go that short you should gradually and slowly cut it to that length so it's not too much of a shock.

FireFromWithin
January 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Honestly I think they'd all look good on you. If you trust your hairdresser maybe you could take in all 3 pictures and ask them which they think will work best with your hair?
Your hair looks amazing, so much volume and so shiny! I have to bun my hair for days to even get close, good luck with the cut and enjoy your change of style.

Scarlett brooke
January 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM
You are so beautiful and your hair is amazing! Oh and just randomly I love your engagement and wedding ring I saw them on another thread! I like all the styles you have chosen But the third one is my favourite. You trust your stylist why not you let her recommend one as well :)

SleepyTangles
January 31st, 2013, 02:37 PM
No useful comments, here :). I think all these cuts will look very good on you, I somehow think the third will let the focus more on your super pretty face and less on your hair. But I really can't say anything, your hair type is rather the opposite of mine - so sleek, full and bouncy all in the same time...:o

shutterpillar
January 31st, 2013, 02:49 PM
I think given your hair type, the third would look the best. Good luck, and make sure to update us!

torrilin
January 31st, 2013, 02:55 PM
I think all of your inspiration images are on someone with a more average thickness than your thickness. The second one in particular looks like maybe a 3-4" ponytail, and while it's heat styled to be straight, I'm not sure you want to heat style for straight hair most days? I think that cut would suit someone who is a straighter hair type to begin with, and your waves would likely drive you batty. It's very much like a cut my mom adored on my straight hair in the 1980s, and if I'm remembering right I have less than half the hair you have. So it screams high maintenance to me, and not even a very fun kind of high maintenance. If you wanted a similar shape going for a vintage style middy cut done dry might work better.

The first and third pictures seem more suited to your waves and thickness. They both look like angled bob variants maybe? I like the first one more as a cut, but I'm not sure how you'd find it as it grows out. Angled cuts on me grow out pretty well, but they also seem to be one that really gives other people trouble.

turtlelover
January 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM
The first short cut is cute, but having had that EXACT cut, I can tell you that it is a pain to grow out once you are sick of it and you can end up w/ some funky "pyramid" stages along the way that aren't too fun if you have thick hair! I'd have to go with #3.

Sylvestrix
January 31st, 2013, 03:09 PM
I almost never say this because I have length-bias, but I think your hair would suit any of these lengths. Your hair is amazing, so much so that I'm not even able to be envious, just in awe xD Whatever you choose, please do post pictures for slobber-fodder!

UltraBella
January 31st, 2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks, EVERYONE, for the responses. I always read every one of them and I assure you, even if I don't respond back directly - I appreciate your input.

I like #3, but I'm not sure exactly how she'd make it work with your volume so it wasn't too fluffy. I think something that length would look very cute on you.
Layers and thinning, that's how I went from fluffy to what I have now and the difference is night and day. So many people say thinning is BAD but for me it really works well. I like that cut too, but I like them all, therein lies the dilemma !

No useful comments, here :). I think all these cuts will look very good on you, I somehow think the third will let the focus more on your super pretty face and less on your hair. But I really can't say anything, your hair type is rather the opposite of mine - so sleek, full and bouncy all in the same time...:o
Oh, don't be fooled. My hair doesn't look like this without some help from my Caruso Mollecular Hairsetter. My natural texture is pretty wavy and my hair is coarse and a bit dull at times. The Caruso or damp bunning really helps with that.

I think all of your inspiration images are on someone with a more average thickness than your thickness. The second one in particular looks like maybe a 3-4" ponytail, and while it's heat styled to be straight, I'm not sure you want to heat style for straight hair most days? I think that cut would suit someone who is a straighter hair type to begin with, and your waves would likely drive you batty. It's very much like a cut my mom adored on my straight hair in the 1980s, and if I'm remembering right I have less than half the hair you have. So it screams high maintenance to me, and not even a very fun kind of high maintenance. If you wanted a similar shape going for a vintage style middy cut done dry might work better.

The first and third pictures seem more suited to your waves and thickness. They both look like angled bob variants maybe? I like the first one more as a cut, but I'm not sure how you'd find it as it grows out. Angled cuts on me grow out pretty well, but they also seem to be one that really gives other people trouble.

I worry about the angled cut just because one side of my hair definitely grows quicker than the other side. I wonder if it will become noticeable. It's a really cute cut.

My hair has been thinned dramatically from my last cut, so my thickness won't be an issue for any of them, I don't think.

SleepyTangles
January 31st, 2013, 03:30 PM
Really? they're wonderful in any case :crush:.
Just saying: when I had layers or a a-line bob, my hair poofiness drove me mad because I am a very low maintainance person... but with that pyramid effect (like turtlelover said...) leaving it alone without styling wasn't an option. if you already know how your hair will behave at that lenght or/and if you aren't afraid of spending a bit of work on it... why not?

UltraBella
January 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Another concern I have is pulling my hair back and away from my face with these shorter lengths, without looking silly. I have to have it off my face for work. I have a hard time transitioning from my go to bun for that, it's so quick and easy.

littlestarface
January 31st, 2013, 03:52 PM
What is this style of bangs called? I want them

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8512/03a84ee331744bc84d8a662.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/03a84ee331744bc84d8a662.jpg/)

Macaroni
January 31st, 2013, 03:55 PM
I say ease into it with the first cut, live with it a while. Bun it back for work.

Go to the third cut and live with it. It can be pulled back with a headband and a little ponytail.

If necessary, get the first cut. Headband to keep it back.

UltraBella
January 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
Littlestarface,
These bangs are point cut and they blend into face framing layers. They are pretty wow, so soft and look good messy, which I love.

littlestarface
January 31st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Littlestarface,
These bangs are point cut and they blend into face framing layers. They are pretty wow, so soft and look good messy, which I love.

Thank you,I love them too and I want that cut.

Lostsoule77
January 31st, 2013, 04:47 PM
I really like the third cut and think it would look good on you. Not sure how easy it would be to pull back though.

BTW, I've missed you around here. :)

Mononoke
January 31st, 2013, 05:02 PM
UltraBella
Your hair is so thick and pretty!

PixxieStix
January 31st, 2013, 05:53 PM
I'm loving the third photo posted. :)

kidari
January 31st, 2013, 06:39 PM
I like the 2nd and 3rd cut... I also had the 1st cut before and it loses the shape way too fast. You will constantly need to go back to your stylist to get it reshaped like every 4 weeks or sooner for faster growing hair. I think you should go with #3 as the shortest length for now so that if you regret it or don't like it you can still pull it up or back. Cannot wait to see pictures!

Angelica
January 31st, 2013, 06:41 PM
I like the original photograph which was hip when straight. I think it looks gorgeous like that, so long, thick and wavy. I wouldn't cut at all. But good luck whatever you choose.

IndigoOptimist
January 31st, 2013, 07:35 PM
I looked at the first 'shorter' picture and was like :shocked:. Wasn't expecting something that short hehe :3 Anyway, I think the third one would look nice on you.
You have similar hair to my mum and she is always trying to get her hair to look like the second picture. Problem is that it looks completely different when her hair is left natural and because she doesn't like/know how to straighten her hair is doesn't look as good when it is natural.

leslissocool
January 31st, 2013, 07:39 PM
I like the 3rd one :popcorn: Hoping to see pics of the cut!

UltraBella
January 31st, 2013, 11:01 PM
I like the 2nd and 3rd cut... I also had the 1st cut before and it loses the shape way too fast. You will constantly need to go back to your stylist to get it reshaped like every 4 weeks or sooner for faster growing hair. I think you should go with #3 as the shortest length for now so that if you regret it or don't like it you can still pull it up or back. Cannot wait to see pictures!

This could be a real issue for me, my hair grows super fast, it's hereditary, my mom's hair grows amazingly fast and she's 71 years old. I cut my hair to armpit length again on Sept 28th and it's at the bottom of my bra strap now. I think the first cut would be cute and fun, but I don't want it to lose it's shape quickly and I don't want to cut every month either.

Islandgrrl
February 1st, 2013, 12:15 AM
Given how fast your hair grows, I would go with a slightly longer, lower maintenance style that will look good as it grows out. At least that way you won't be cutting every month! I love the photo with those side-swept bangs...they would look amazing on you!

UltraBella
February 1st, 2013, 12:57 AM
I really like the third cut and think it would look good on you. Not sure how easy it would be to pull back though.

BTW, I've missed you around here. :)

Awwwww, thanks, I have missed several of you as well. There's so many new members ! I feel a bit lost, lol.

Given how fast your hair grows, I would go with a slightly longer, lower maintenance style that will look good as it grows out. At least that way you won't be cutting every month! I love the photo with those side-swept bangs...they would look amazing on you!

I think I'm ready to agree, and remove pic one from the running. And I do love those bangs, I wonder if covering my forehead will make my face look chubbier though. Hmmmmm. I've gained some winter weight ;)

spirals
February 1st, 2013, 03:46 AM
Spirals, any photos you want to share ? I'd love to see your hair now or when you had the shorter cut.
Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the short cut, as that was around 2004, I think. My avatar is only 2 weeks old, though you can't see my length. You can definitely see the layers. The color is off, though, due to weird lighting and camera settings. It's definitely a golden brown, like dark brown sugar. Let me see if I can get a good one, as I washed it a couple of hours ago and it's really curly.

spirals
February 1st, 2013, 04:19 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img707/7439/02010450201.jpg I know it's sideways. I have spent half an hour getting it on here, so I'm not going to fix it. (I want a desktop! >.< )

Maelyssa
February 1st, 2013, 04:59 AM
I seem to be in the minority because I love the last look. It's shorter but with that type of style you can let it grow out a bit and it won't look too bad. And I think the softness if it would really compliment your face.

jacqueline101
February 1st, 2013, 05:41 AM
The second picture.

Alexblue
February 1st, 2013, 07:09 AM
Gosh, feeling some serious hair envy. Your hair is gorgeous! :crush:

Looking at your hair type and face my vote is number 3

Arya
February 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Second! The third look is a bit....mommish? Just my opinion, though. It just feels a little less fresh than number 2.

UltraBella
February 1st, 2013, 09:09 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img707/7439/02010450201.jpg I know it's sideways. I have spent half an hour getting it on here, so I'm not going to fix it. (I want a desktop! >.< )

I adore your curls !!! I'm jealous. My hair is wavy but not actually curly :( Your layers are great !

UltraBella
February 1st, 2013, 09:11 AM
Second! The third look is a bit....mommish? Just my opinion, though. It just feels a little less fresh than number 2.

Lol, but I AM a mom ! My daughter is 17 and a junior in high school. So mommish is something I better be used to by now. (But I do know what you mean.)

I'm torn between the two and wondering of I can incorporate them both into my own style.

SugarPlumDreams
February 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Wow! You and your hair are gorgeous!

I vote for pic #2.

Aaaannnd there is no way you are mom to a 17 year old! You are too young :)

UltraBella
February 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM
SugarPlumDreams, thank you ! I had her when I was 20, so I'm definitely old enough. The years sure have been speeding by.

SO, I found a couple more pics of hair I love. It's weird because I generally end up growing my bangs out if I have them but every photo I am drawn to has bangs.

LOVE THIS :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/f355767d7e7d090c3f5c54ab2f115d25_zpsc8cf88b4.jpg

Like this :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/b23e8e6f9017def61ddc762627143b08_zps1574f588.jpg

This too :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/d51223bfcb1223c076bd3f8cac28a9e1_zpsa6a774c1.jpg

jeanniet
February 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'm no help on the bang front, because while I love the look of them, I cannot stand having anything hanging over my forehead. I like the look of all three of the new pics you posted, but for you I would go more for the length of #1 vs. #3. I think just brushing your shoulders would be a flattering length for you.

Khiwanean
February 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM
LOVE THIS :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/f355767d7e7d090c3f5c54ab2f115d25_zpsc8cf88b4.jpg
I think this one would look good on you. I would probably go for slightly thinner bangs though. Eyebrow-grazing rather than eyelash-grazing length-wise too. Maybe a little bit longer than just past collarbone. ...and I've totally altered the haircut enitrely! :laugh:

turtlelover
February 1st, 2013, 01:17 PM
SugarPlumDreams, thank you ! I had her when I was 20, so I'm definitely old enough. The years sure have been speeding by.

SO, I found a couple more pics of hair I love. It's weird because I generally end up growing my bangs out if I have them but every photo I am drawn to has bangs.

LOVE THIS :

The first cut isn't far off from the cut in my avatar photo, though a bit shorter and the bangs seem to be cut further back. It was fairly versatile on me, and it didn't feel super short, though it had a LOT more bounce and felt a lot lighter than longer hair. It looked good either curly, wavy, or straightened, and I could do some updos with a bit of coaxing.

Anytime you go above the shoulders, I think you lose versatility and the ability to hide bad hair days, though I think that some shorter cuts have a "cute" factor that longer hair lacks. I'm aiming to go back to a little past the shoulders now after the recent angled bob. The bob was definitely cute and more trendy than the longer hair, and in some respects I felt more "put together," but there are days I just don't want to fuss w/ my hair, and I don't like to have to get it trimmed constantly to maintain its shape. I guess to me, long hair is beautiful and classic, whereas shorter hair is cute and trendy. It just depends what look you are going for, and how much maintenance you are willing to tolerate.

AngryVikingGirl
February 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM
I can't help you decide, UltraBella, but I remember you as the one with the big hair and layers who cuts several inches off and grows all back in no time! And whose hair is too thick to wear in summer. :eek: So you might not be able to do something really bad that you would regret for months afterwards...

spirals
February 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM
I adore your curls !!! I'm jealous. My hair is wavy but not actually curly :( Your layers are great !Thanks. I grow them myself. :cheese: I cut those layers in last spring and cleaned them up a couple of months ago. If you're brave and can eyeball lengths/distances, you can do it.

UltraBella
February 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM
I think this one would look good on you. I would probably go for slightly thinner bangs though. Eyebrow-grazing rather than eyelash-grazing length-wise too. Maybe a little bit longer than just past collarbone. ...and I've totally altered the haircut enitrely! :laugh:

Lol, I did that to it as well. But, I think her bangs aren't as thick as this photo makes us think. Her crown layers have been brushed forward but it definitely doesn't have to be worn that way. I just love that cut. But wold I love it on me, I don't know. Ugh !

I can't help you decide, UltraBella, but I remember you as the one with the big hair and layers who cuts several inches off and grows all back in no time! And whose hair is too thick to wear in summer. :eek: So you might not be able to do something really bad that you would regret for months afterwards...

Yep, that's me. Summer and I have hair issues, serious ones. It really does grow crazy fast, so I'm lucky that I'm not stuck for long with a cut I do not like. It's still not fun to have a hair oops though, so I'm weighing my options carefully.

owlathena
February 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
As much as I hate to say it, because I'm in love with your hair, I think layered above shoulder length would look great on you!

Its a scary idea, but I don't think you could have un-fabulous hair if you tried.

UltraBella
February 1st, 2013, 04:01 PM
Uhm, so - it's time. I'm here. She's just finishing up a cut and I am feeling nervous but excited. Have I made my choice yet - nope. Good grief, what am I thinking ??!?!?!

HairFaerie
February 1st, 2013, 06:19 PM
:popcorn: Can't wait to see what you chose!

Mesmerise
February 1st, 2013, 06:46 PM
Well I see it's a bit late for me to weigh in with an opinion ;) but I think if my hair grew super fast, and I was looking for a change I'd go shorter! I probably wouldn't KEEP it short though, I'd just appreciate it while it was short (in other words, I wouldn't bother with maintaining the style so much... because I'd undoubtedly want to grow again). So I think going for something shorter and different would be fun! And with your hair, Ultrabella, it will only take a few months to grow back anyway if you don't like it!

littlestarface
February 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM
LOVE THIS :

I love this one too!! I want this but with my hair still long in the back :p it would probably look funny but I love how it looks just dont want to miss my length:D

Lostsoule77
February 2nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
So... what did you end up with?

UltraBella
February 2nd, 2013, 01:14 AM
Lostsoule77, I should have posted here that I started a new thread for the results. I'm sorry. You can find it here : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110392

Lostsoule77
February 2nd, 2013, 01:16 AM
I saw, thank you though. :D