PDA

View Full Version : rapidly greying at 23?

Blackfire
January 31st, 2013, 09:28 AM
At first it was one hair, 6 months later....it's a big chunk! What would you do? I'm already getting some nasty comments from coworkers, although i personally like it as my hair is virgin.

MonaMayfair
January 31st, 2013, 09:31 AM
If you like it, just tell them to mind their own business, it's your hair! If it happened to me I'd dye it, but not because of what other people thought.

shutterpillar
January 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Premature graying is in my DNA. I am 26 and I already have a fair amount of gray hairs. Fortunately, they are a shiny silvery color and I like them a lot. Right now they blend in with my natural color for the most part, but as I get more I am not sure if I will be keeping them or using henna or semi-permanent color over them.

neko_kawaii
January 31st, 2013, 09:48 AM
I had a coworker who was entirely gray and she must have been in her early 30's. I thought she was beautiful. My grandmother was gray before my mother started elementary school. I love my hair color but I'm also enraptured with my few silvers and looking forward to more of them. I was teasing my mother the last time I saw her that her red hair was turning brown. (She had a red haired aunt who experienced the same thing so she has always expected this to happen.) And she said, "Then I'll be able to wear purple." And I replied, "Well, it might go gray first." "And then I'll be able to wear purple."

If they say something again I'd put a positive spin on it.

moxamoll
January 31st, 2013, 09:51 AM
I started going silver when I was 18! I henna it now, but only because at about 35% silver in my medium brown hair, it looks kinda mousy. Once enough comes in to be mostly silver, I'll be going au naturale. It's beautiful and if you think so too, don't let 'em tell you otherwise.

arelrios
January 31st, 2013, 10:01 AM
I have lots of grey hairs (I'm 30). I think as well is generic. My uncle head is completely white and is was even before he was 35. My mom, who colors her hair, has a lot of grey hairs.
Before I would ask DH to pluck them (I will get at least 40 hairs), but now I will just let them be... even though I hate how they stick up straight like antennas :):D

Vrindi
January 31st, 2013, 10:08 AM
Tell your coworkers to shut up and mind their own business.

Neneka
January 31st, 2013, 10:21 AM
I have no greys yet (I am 24) but I would be happy if I found some. I think grey hair is beautiful!

If you like your hair virgin then don't dye it. Don't do anything trastic because of nasty comments by others. Doing things how others would like you to do will not make you happier. :)

SleepyTangles
January 31st, 2013, 10:49 AM
I think that a streak of silver in my hair will be the only thing that could persuade me on quitting henna! They look very unique and gorgeous, expecially on beautiful, healthy hair.

I had my first greys in my bangs when 16, but some friends picked me so bad about it it that I eventually started using a temporary dye ... the need to hide a part of yourself is the worst feeling ever, even if the dye was harmless! Now, when someone tries to make me feel embarassed, I try to turn on the snarkiest mode I have... sad thing, most people will behave immediatly if they see you biting back. They would never make mean comments to people who know how to pay them back :shake:.

My opinion is that the problem is not your greys, but your coworkers :flower:: I think you will feel more "yourself" in the long run if you'll shut them up with some witty remark, instead of change your hair. If you prefer to dye your grays for personal tastes then go for it!

natural_shine
January 31st, 2013, 10:56 AM
I'm 24, I have grey hairs too. Kinda like 'em

wishywashy
January 31st, 2013, 11:11 AM
I one grey hair grow in at 23. It was just the one for quite a few years, now at 30 I have random ones through out my scalp and on the right side of my head, just under the canopy, I'm getting a streak. About 6 or 7 grey hairs in the same area. I believe it is stress related. Kind of cool... but kind of discerning for me LOL

I am contemplating dying my hair too, but since my hair does not like hair dye, I don't know what to do yet...I don't think I am quite ready for so many silvers yet :/

torrilin
January 31st, 2013, 01:43 PM
My dad has the genes to grey early. His friends have told me that he was going grey in his teens. In pictures from when I was born, he's 29 and is heavily salt and pepper grey. By the time he was 40 his hair was a beautiful silver color. Now that he's about 65, the tone has shifted from silver to pure white. For most of his 40s and 50s, people would mistake him for a platinum blonde.

Sadly, I got my mom's greying genes. I'm 35, and I have not one white hair. Mom didn't start developing white hairs until after she was 50, and she's greying very slowly compared to Dad. WOE!

Not everyone greys in an attractive way, and if having a silver streak really upsets you, I think dye is a reasonable solution. But most people I know who flail over grey hairs have a greying rate a lot more like my mom's than my dad's, and with a more average onset. Most people will start greying in their 20s. You may be greying on the fast side, but chances are it's a lot prettier than you think.

Celtic Morla
January 31st, 2013, 02:14 PM
It's genetic an dif doesnt bother you why let your coworkers harass you? Ask them if they have an issue with gorwing old? I have been greying since I was13but being blond it was easier to hide it!LOL I cut off all my hair at 37-38 to get rid of any dye and it was very silver. My only issue is long it goes from silver to blond!

akilina
January 31st, 2013, 02:21 PM
Well, I say screw them! Grey hair is totally awesome IMO! I am actually jealous :o
Its funny they act like they are perfect or something...they are bound to go grey too eventually.

Really terrible simile...but its like going to the bathroom...everyone does it so why are they acting better than you over something that everyone does?