PDA

View Full Version : Is this Normal??

Rose Angel
January 30th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Hello everyone!

I lurk around a lot but I'm sort of new on the forums.Okay so something has been causing me a lot of emotional stress for past 4-5 years. I'm 24, part greek part Afghani and don't know if this is normal. But WHENEVER I take pics, I get this WEIRD wide part that scares me out. Most pics with flash. And direct lighting makes it look this way too. What could it be? Is it hairfall? It has been this way since I could remember though. My parents always use to say I have too "thin" hair :(

I dream of the perfect part they show on models in shampoo commercials :/

I do have an on-off Sebhorreic Dermatitis issue (under control right now!) and scalp pain thingy. Like I never tie my hair up :) Oh and I shed alot! But I have aaaa lot of baby hair too, constantly growing out! :)

Comments? Thanks :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/536952_10151421744045465_968591519_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/734192_10151421752255465_1208075657_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424809_10151421745945465_814414377_n.jpg

Rose.

cranberrymoonz
January 30th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I've got no idea. But your hair is pretty and your pictures don't seem weird to me.

Mairéad
January 30th, 2013, 08:35 AM
My part totally does that in my hair pictures too. It doesn't look like that in real like though so I don't worry about that. I can't really explain why it happens, but this might be what's happening. First of all, when we take pictures of our hair we tend to tilt our head toward the camera. Objects closer to the camera appear closer so in perspective, look bigger that those pointed away from the camera. Second, flash. Many photos with flash make the skin (scalp) look very stark and it stands out a lot better against our hair, even if it's light. You hair looks great, take a deep breath. :)

Zabethbartsch
January 30th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I don't think your part looks weird or particularly wide. I DO know that I'd love to see a length shot - from what I can tell you have absolutely stunning hair!

Nedertane
January 30th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I can't think of how it would look ABNORMAL haha. It seems like your hair is rather thick, honestly, so it seems odd to me that your parents would say it's thin, unless they have hair so thick they can't see their own scalps. :p If your hair isn't shedding in clumps, I truthfully don't think you need worry yourself.

shutterpillar
January 30th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I think it looks just fine. And please keep in mind that a lot of shampoo commercials are digitally altered anyway.

furnival
January 30th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Your part looks fine to me, and I'd second what Mairéad says about photos and flash.

As for the parts on the models in shampoo commercials, they're definitely not normal. In a lot of cases they're probably not even real! The advertisements are designed to make you feel that your hair is inferior to the impossibly beautiful airbrushed locks of their models- don't fall for it! The beauty industry is geared toward making people feel unhappy about certain aspects of their appearance so they buy products that allegedly 'fix' what is supposedly wrong.

It's probably better for your self-confidence to have a look at all the pictures of real-life beautiful hair on this site :)

woolyleprechaun
January 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Its just one of those funky things that happens when you photo. It looks perfectly normal to me :)
My hair never seems the same thickness, texture or colour on a photo as it does IRL. *sighs* Plus, I always seem to aquire a shadow moustache for some reason....

Kiwiwi
January 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Seems pretty normal to me too.
But if you do want to see if you can have any influence on it I would wear the part different from... say... week to week. One week on the left, one week in the middle, on week on the right, etc, etc.
Because sometimes always wearing the same hairstyle can make a part widen a bit.
But it might not work at all and this is just your normal hair. Like I said, seems pretty normal to me :)

Vrindi
January 30th, 2013, 10:21 AM
That looks totally normal. Camera flashes do really weird things. It's just the light and the fact that your hair is so dark and beautiful. I'm a videographer and I do some photography with that, and those photos look like any snapshot with a flash. You have nothing to worry about. Also, what Furnival said— don't believe any advertisements you see. They have ALL been photoshopped! I never release an un-edited image to a client unless specifically asked. It's just the way. So, no comparing yourself to magazines or hair ads!

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Your hair is lovely other then that I don't know.

Kaelee
January 30th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I think it's because there's a strong contrast between your hair and skin color and the camera accentuates that. It's fine. You and your hair are very beautiful!

RileyJane
January 30th, 2013, 10:47 AM
My friend has similar hair to yours, and she has always had a "wide part" no matter how she parts her hair. ive realized that its from the massive amount of volume her hair gets straight from the root, so maybe its normal

RavenBaby
January 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Your hair is black and your scalp is white. the contrast makes it looks bigger I think. Try parting your hair at a different place every day and see if something changes. I don't think it's wide at all though.

Shebelina
January 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Totally agree with what Kaelee has said, and I was about to post it myself. You have beautiful hair, I wouldn't worry about it.

Nebulae
January 30th, 2013, 11:09 AM
That looks perfectly normal to me. :) I could go all photograph and light-sciencey on you but that would just be complicated.. but basically you said it yourself already: happens with flash and direct lighting. Since your scalp is a color that contrasts your hair so much that makes it more visible.. Since you say it looks better in normal light and its been this way forever I doubt there is anything to worry about. Your hair looks great! :D

lapushka
January 30th, 2013, 11:10 AM
There's nothing wrong with those pictures! :)

SugarPlumDreams
January 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and normal to me! :)

panffle
January 30th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Your hair looks beautiful, your part looks fine too. I would say don't trust cameras/pictures, it always ends up looking different than in the mirror and it will worry you.

jeanniet
January 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I also think it's a combination of the light and the contrast between skin/hair. I'm half Indian, and get the same effect, and believe me, I have plenty of hair. So don't worry--but if you're concerned, try taking pictures of your part every few months. If you don't see any change, then you know it's all fine.

Celtic Morla
January 30th, 2013, 01:38 PM
You have dark shiny hair it contrast sharpy with your much paler scalp. Cameras can play pretty good illusions on you because they dont see subtleties as much. I see the scalp hair contrast in dogs as a pet groomer.Not uncommon at all

10000days
January 30th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Your hair looks beautiful and the part looks completely normal. I'd say that the scalp that's visible at the part is more noticeable on dark-haired people simply because light (sunlight or camera flash) reflects off white surfaces more prominently than any darker surface. Here's an idea- if you want a model-like perfect part, buy yourself a tail comb (the one with a slim metal or plastic spike at the end) and carefully create the perfect part. :)

Micayla47
January 30th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Your hair is black and your scalp is white. the contrast makes it looks bigger I think. Try parting your hair at a different place every day and see if something changes. I don't think it's wide at all though.

yes. when my hair was bleached blond i never even noticed my part, but since i've dyed it dark (and my skin is light) the part SEEMS wider. my dad even commented on it when i first dyed my hair. your hair is gorgeous! so soft and shiny :)

leslissocool
January 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Looks normal, mine does that too I think. Try side parting to make it look thicker.

Rose Angel
January 31st, 2013, 05:58 AM
THANK YOU GUYSSS!!! You all are awesome!! Here's a full length shot for everyone who requested :) !! THANK YOU for the awesome response!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/484843_10151415087970465_722583773_n.jpg

Much love.

furnival
January 31st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Wow, you have lovely hair! :)

Aeris
February 1st, 2013, 07:25 AM
I was about to come here and tell you not to worry, since my hair looks exactly the same (light skin + black hair here too), but after looking at your length shot, I can't - I don't have near that volume! Your hair is so stunning, it is extremely inspirational to me! I think we are at about the same length, too :)

maborosi
February 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM
Well, considering shampoo commercials are all digitally altered, I don't think you ought to compare yourself to them so harshly.

Your hair is beautiful, and I don't see a weird part- I think that's what happens to a lot of people when they use flash, actually.

~maborosi~

swearnsue
February 1st, 2013, 11:12 AM
In addition to what everyone else said, when my scalp is oily the light shines off it more and my scalp really shows more. So if you've oiled your scalp or just from natural oils your camera flash will make the scalp show up more.

Audhumla
February 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM
I think your part is normal it's just that your skin contrasts more with your dark hair so it might look wider than others.

Angelica
February 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
I think your hair is fine and in excellent condition.

In advertisements we don't see the hairdressers in the backgroud who are on standby to keep all stray hairs in shape. Of course they would show somebody with good hair in the ads, otherwise the ad couldn't sell the product. Some shampoos are better than others, and of course we haven't all got hairdressers to help us when we have a photoshoot.

Also it's been noted in small print, especially in magazines that some models or stars, such as Cheryl Cole are wearing extensions.

But if some of those models have good hair, it is because genes blessed them with great hair and it certainly isn't the shampoo they are advertising.

I don't think your hair looks too thin, it might be on the fine side, but it looks lovely and the straight look suits you :)

Angelica
February 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM
I have to add that I just looked at the photograph showing your full length and your hair is gorgeous and not straight at all really, a nice wave and bounce to it :)

jojo
February 4th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Thin...? Not at all, you have thick glossy hair, id love to see a length photo! Nothing wrong with your hair at all its beautiful.

just seen your length photo...swit swoo!!! Its so pretty, whats there not to like about it! :thudpile:

adiapalic
February 4th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Mine does that, and I've always considered it normal. White scalp/dark hair. :flower:

Majala
February 5th, 2013, 03:13 AM
I too think your part looks completely normal. I've been worried about my widening part as well (my hair is also very dark), so I've been observing other dark haired people's hair and their parts almost always look wider than on people with lighter colors. Your hair looks stunning btw, so shiny and looks thick to me.

Rose Angel
February 5th, 2013, 04:40 AM
Thank you Aeris!!!

Rose Angel
February 5th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Thank you!