PDA

View Full Version : Swimming: what do you do?

DarleneH
January 29th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I know there's lot's of different things you can do to protect your hair when swimming (swim cap, fill full of conditioner and braid, oil and braid, etc.) but I'm curious which method you picked and why? Do you do something different for chlorinated vs ocean vs lake water? It's almost that time of year again!

melusine963
January 29th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I haven't been swimming in chlorinated water since joining the LHC. I'm not sure what I'd do if faced with that situation. I'd probably just pin my hair up, try not to dunk my head under the water, and hope for the best. Unfortunately I can't stand the smell of those waterproof swim caps, so I wouldn't want to use one.

feb26
January 29th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I swim in mom's chlorinated pool occasionally & put hair up in a bun & doggy paddle. will have to be more careful though as dyeing hair..so i guess if at beach will bun, swim cap, condish & pray....

Allychan
January 29th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I am a seasonal swim instructor, so it is imperative that I protect my hair from chlorine when I am teaching. My routine includes heavy oiling with coconut oil before getting wet, then I plait my hair and put on my swim cap after doing my laps I go home and use my no chemicals etc shampoo to wash everything out and then condition. During classes I just oilit and throw it under my hat. I do this every day when teaching and my hair stays in pretty good nick :)

When I swim in creeks or lakes I don't put anything in it as the water is rain water and very clean here. As for the ocean I coconut oil it but rarely put my head under, it is way too drying and saltwater burns my eyes

Vrindi
January 29th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I haven't been in chlorine in a long time, but here's what I'd do: rinse in fresh water, slather with coconut oil, braid or bun to keep out tangles, and rinse as soon as I got out of the water, even better with diluted shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner, and then coconut oil again. I've always hated swim caps. They pull and rip my hair.

For salt water, what works for me is a similar method. I love my long hair, but I'm not going to stop swimming in the ocean because of it. Keeping it oiled and rinsing the salt out of it is pretty much all it takes. Beachy buns and braids help protect from sun damage too, especially under a hat. Don't forget the sun can do nasty damage to hair too, especially if you live in a harsh climate or spend a lot of time outdoors.

longforthis
January 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I would love tips for this.

I love swimming, and while chlorinated pools aren't ideal, I have a friend who invites me to go swimming, and I feel bad if I don't go. And with her siblings, it's almost impossible not to get dunked..or pushed in the pool, lol. I don't have a swimming cap, and I may not be able to afford one? (Any recommendations for a reasonably priced swimcap?) Plus I love having my hair free in the water.

I have a family I visit once in a while that uses salt to sterilize their pool, and I'm fine with that. They have spring water that I can rinse it out with, and use coconut oil. Chlorine is a chemical.

Last year, after swimming a couple times in the chlorinated pool, air drying it, sunbathing, etc. two inches of my hair was red and dead. I have dark brown hair, close to black, lol. I had to cut it off. :[ That's when I found you guys.

So far, I know I will HEAVILY use coconut oil. I may deep condition the night before..but I don't know. I don't want to repeat it every year. (Last year after the damage I avoided the pool but felt like a jerk. And I missed swimming. That's part of the fun of summer! We don't live near any body of water, and this is an apartment pool, so it's not like I can talk them into switching to salt.)

CurlyCurves
January 29th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Last time I went I slathered my hair in conditioner, slathered it in coconut oil and then conditioned it after swimming, and deep conditioned when I got home. Hair was a little dry but overall fine :)

longNred
January 29th, 2013, 08:24 PM
In a pool, I do a super high top knot and hope for the best. Ocean, same, only I make more of an effort to not get it wet, I HATE the sticky gross feeling from salt water in my hair. Lake, I get it wet! My hair loves, loves, loves, fresh lake water. And always looks fantastic after it dries.

Angela_Rose
January 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Pool: soak in clean water first, high bun, try not to dunk my head.
Ocean: coconut oil, braid(s), rinse later.

teela1978
January 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I haven't been swimming as often as I'd like lately, but usually I just get my hair wet with fresh water first (e.g. a shower at the pool), bun it, and then go swim. I really enjoy swimming and while chlorine isn't the best thing in the world for your hair I'd not be very happy if my hair kept me from dunking my head. So I don't let it get in the way of me having fun. Wash well afterwards and give it a good conditioning. It'll be fine.

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I swim in a public pool so I wear a swim cap and heavy condition and braid.

Rosetta
February 1st, 2013, 04:51 AM
I just put my hair up and that's it :)

Scarlet_Heart
February 1st, 2013, 06:04 AM
For the ocean, I wet my hair and oil it heavily with coconut oil before going in. Then just wash as normal at home.

For the pool, I do the same thing, except I wash with Ultra Swim (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=14577&catid=183491&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler) when I get home.