PDA

View Full Version : Help - I think my 2c/3a hair hates conditioner!

Redhead Rebel
January 29th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been washing and conditioning my hair every 3 days for 6 months now, I also use a spray bottle of diluted conditioner when I think it needs it. Usually when my hair is still wet after washing it will feel soft, but once it dries its always dry, crunchy and tangles alot (I thought this was just because of the damage). I have tried many types of conditioner but none so far have changed this.

I decided to just use shampoo last night and my hair this morning is alot softer than it is when I use conditioner. My hair is crying out for moisture but conditioner doesn't seem to help so i'm not sure what to try next. Seen as it was softer with out conditioner I don't think its because I need a trim?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

TIA

hafattack
January 29th, 2013, 02:34 PM
How does your hair feel about oil?

Quixii
January 29th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Are you using cones and/or sulfates?
It's possible your hair needs a good clarifying, and that's part of why it responded positively to just shampoo.

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Maybe try the conditioner before shampoo, Like add honey to it and such to make sure it gets moisture?

Redhead Rebel
January 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM
hafattack, I have only tried Mineral Oil and it hated that but I would be interested in trying others.

Quixii, I am using cones and sulfates and I clarify 1-2 times a month. I have just changed to a low sulfate shampoo which is better than others I have been using.

I have tried cwc before and it didn't make any difference.

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 02:58 PM
hafattack, I have only tried Mineral Oil and it hated that but I would be interested in trying others.

Quixii, I am using cones and sulfates and I clarify 1-2 times a month. I have just changed to a low sulfate shampoo which is better than others I have been using.

I have tried cwc before and it didn't make any difference.

No not like cwc like a hair mask, like put the conditioner on your hair wait an hour or more then shampoo it out?

Quixii
January 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Have you tried not using cones and sulfates?

Redhead Rebel
January 29th, 2013, 03:18 PM
On Sunday I left conditioner in my hair for 3 hours then shampooed it out but it was still as dry as ever after.

I have tried no sulfates but it doesn't make much difference, I think i'll have to give no cones a try, but i've never seen any no cones conditioners for sale in shops where I am. Any brands you would recommend? Also how would I use oils and what type would be best to try?

Thanks

Quixii
January 29th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I'm largely under the impression that going no sulfates without going no cones is useless. Obviously that varies based on the hair, but that's my impression.

I don't know what's available to you, but I tend to use Tresseme Naturals conditioner. And Yes to Carrots shampoo.

Redhead Rebel
January 29th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'm largely under the impression that going no sulfates without going no cones is useless. Obviously that varies based on the hair, but that's my impression.

I don't know what's available to you, but I tend to use Tresseme Naturals conditioner. And Yes to Carrots shampoo.

I'm using the Tresseme Naturals Shampoo at the moment, and I had the matching conditioner but it seemed no different to other conditioners so I tried the moisture soak one but still no difference. What about Fudge/Bedhead/other salon brands? I don't mind going no sulfates and cones if it might help.

Quixii
January 29th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I'm using the Tresseme Naturals Shampoo at the moment, and I had the matching conditioner but it seemed no different to other conditioners so I tried the moisture soak one but still no difference. What about Fudge/Bedhead/other salon brands? I don't mind going no sulfates and cones if it might help.
I like the conditioner because it's cone-free but still heavy enough to feel moisturizing. I don't use the shampoo since it has sulfates.
I just googled "silicone free conditioners" and this came up, so you could try one of these if you don't like that one: http://healthycurls.net/product-lists/silicone-free-conditioners/

KittyMeowMeow
January 29th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I don't use conditioner either. I'm also using and loving Terressentials. My hair feels and looks amazing without all the buildup. Just clean, soft hair.

I was scared to go off conditioner because a lot of my hair is naturally dry. However, I've discovered there are soooo many ways to add moisture to my hair. What makes conditioner conditioner is emulsifiers, which are basically wax based glues to bind water (moisture) to oil to form a cream. My basic strategy has been to cleanse gently so I don't lose moisture (Terressentials, check), add water to my hair, add oils to seal in the moisture, and add other natural ingredients as things like humectants and ingredients to improve the texture and feel of my hair.

NON-CONDITIONER WAYS TO GET MOISTURE

Prepoo: try more oils! Mineral oil is quite heavy, and also non natural. Try some other oils like small amounts of EVCO. Use less if your hair gets greasy.

Rinses: herbal rinses such as catnip. Lots of ideas & recipes on here.

Leave-in moisturizing sprays: Herbal & EO based moisturizing sprays. Eg. try adding a few drops of lavendar EO to water in a spray bottle. Rosewater is great. A bit of AVJ in water. Glycerine in water. You can read up on the benefits of various eos, herbs and whatnot and find something your hair likes. There are also lots of these sprays from natural hair companies.

Water: If your hair and/or ends need a little moisture in between washes, lightly mist 2-4 sprays (juuust a tiny bit) of water and smooth it in/work down. When hair is not "wet" but feels moisturized & cool to the touch, add the teensiest drop of oil, rub into your palms, and smooth through your hair.

Good luck!

KittyMeowMeow
January 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Oh, and how could I forget! I make a moisturizing shealoe cream with shea butter, AVG, EVCO, castor, honey and lemon oil.

goldloli
January 29th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I have same colour and same type as you!

I find i get the smooth lovely damp, then dries to feel not so great no matter what i use, i figure this is just old damage and hair type. The crunchy feeling happens to me when i use conditioners with cones or that have too much olive/avocado/shea oils in there. Certain fatty types of oil create a weird crunchy buildup that also makes my hair feel dry, a lot of leave in products also have this effect. I made some product recs for dry hair, can be found in my recent posts if you're interested. my faves atm are gvp/biolage conditioning balm, everpure moisture poo and dish which is cone and sls free and pureology. im a product junkie though, idk if you'd prefer a more natural routine which many here do.

My greatest successes with this issue have been to limit cone use (and therefore buildup), alternate sls and sls free shampoo (to ensure frequent clarifying but also avoiding drying out the hair), always use a moisturising conditioner with limon etxtracts at bottom of ingredients (they limit buildup from co and give shine like no other ime), cold rinse and use a dot of co as a leave in instead of usual leave in co/cream. I actually think its best for this issue to do a cold rinse and apply nothing to hair as a leave in, alas my hair is porous and breaks off unless i add extra moisture! Oil sealing is usually a disaster because of this, i think that's why MO didn't work out for me either.

Catnip would probably be awesome for you as a conditioner. I found no issues of buildup when using it even when following with co.

CurlyMopTop
January 29th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Same here. Found I had to limit the cones to none preferably. Alternate sls and sls free shampoos. I CWC using vo5 conditioners with the occasional heavier conditioner in the winter as the second conditioer. I use a leave-in condish with 2 drops argon oil mixed in and a cone free serum. Seems to be working really well for me most of the time depending on the weather (it's been kind of rainy here lately).

Nique1202
January 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM
If you have a Body Shop store near you or can order from online, their whole Rainforest shampoo and conditioner line is sulfate and silicone free, and one of the options in it, Rainforest Moisture, is specifically for dry hair, but the Rainforest Radiance seems to have almost as much moisture help plus UV protection (and smells a lot better, but that could just be me). I hope you can find what your hair needs!

Kaelee
January 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
My hair hates conventional conditioner. I use either oil, or lately, Toadstool Soaps (etsy) conditioner and shampoo. I love the Toadstool conditioner.

Other than that, the only 'conventional' conditioners I've found that did OK for my hair were Aussie 3MM and Garnier Fructise (in the little tub. The deep conditioning one.)