PDA

View Full Version : Upside down washing

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM
It was a disaster for me I tried it and I ended up with a huge matt of hair at the ends,all of my hair was tangled around the ends. I tried conditioner didnt work I tried oil nothing,I had to use the aussie 3 min miracle and then I waited and waited then I had to pull each and every strand out of the hair ball. I ended up losing a huge amount of hair. I swear it was the size of a kitten:shock: I was so horrified,so now Im not going to do this anymore. I thought it wouldve been better for my hair but I guess not. Did I do anything wrong? I even had a heat cap on when I had the conditioner on my head and yet nothing budged that tangled matt of hair.

hufflepug
January 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM
My hair is only chin length but I still can't wash it upside down, it just turns into a bird's nest. Some people love it but I know it's not for me.

melusine963
January 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Heh, I used to wash my hair upside-down when it was much shorter (maybe APL?). I found it easier to scrub my scalp that way, but detangling was definitely harder afterwards. It definitely wasn't worth it anymore the longer my hair got.

I think you'd be better off going back to washing the right way up. :shrug:

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Well im not the only one thank god lol. I thought something was wrong with my hair :p Its classic length and boy was it a pain in my neck and back literally.

rowie
January 29th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Heh, I used to wash my hair upside-down when it was much shorter (maybe APL?). I found it easier to scrub my scalp that way, but detangling was definitely harder afterwards. It definitely wasn't worth it anymore the longer my hair got.

I think you'd be better off going back to washing the right way up. :shrug:

This! After APL things are much more challenging! I also gave up brushing this way because I felt like it was really ripping my hair out.

ArienEllariel
January 29th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I've had bad washing upside down experiences before but that's cause I wasn't detangling upside down first.. I brush my hair out really well upside down, then make sure not to flip my head over again before getting into the shower.. I just sorta grab my hair and hold it in place.. lol Then in the shower I wet it down with the handheld shower attachment, add shampoo (and do NOT lump all my hair together in a ball), scrub my scalp good front and back and let the suds run down the length. Rinse, add conditioner to the length, and carefully bun it and squish to my head so I can stand upright and do other showerly duties. When done, let hair down again upside down to rinse conditioner, immediately towel. Then comb upside down. It's super easy to comb.. like a knife through butter. You then carefully lean forward with your hair hanging in your face, part in the center of your head and comb as usual.. keeps the tanglies at a minimum. At least for me... YMMV.

akilina
January 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I definitely cant wash upside down either. Its sooo hard to de-tangle and I lose much hair in the process..and it just doesn't work.

bobaerose
January 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM
lol i only ever washed my hair upside down leaning over the bath... or in a sink washing out dye. Didn't know this was a "thing"
What are the reason to do it?

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
lol i only ever washed my hair upside down leaning over the bath... or in a sink washing out dye. Didn't know this was a "thing"
What are the reason to do it?

I read on here that washing upside down makes your hair fall out less cuz the water isnt pounding on your scalp or something like that lol but I guess oppesite for some of us:o

Oh and that it cleans the scalp better, but again it didnt for me I had to rinse twice as long upside down and had to keep moving my hair around just for the water to touch the scalp.

would you like to see the kitten I pulled out of my hair?:p

Trivial
January 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I ALWAYS wash my hair upside down! I easily become cold and my eczema get really bad if I shower for a long time. I detangle upside down with my TT, bend over the bathtub and wash my hair. After I put my hair in a turbie towel. Then I can take a shower if i like to, without freezing or get my eczemas to dry and itchy! After 15 minutes or so I take the turbie of, shake my head so the hair fall down and then airdry. I detangle once again when the hair i almost dry.

Works well for me, but I have waistlength 1b/M/ll hair. Maybe I have to come up with something different with longer lenghts!

RavenBaby
January 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I do it every time I wash, why would it cause tangles :S

QMacrocarpa
January 29th, 2013, 03:14 PM
That would be a tangle nightmare in my grabby, curly hair! And aside from that, it sounds like way too much hassle for me and my often-gimpy back. Sigh of relief that I don't have to try every hair experiment I read about! :D

W2
January 29th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Weird. I detangle first normally, then upside down and let the hair hang down in front of me. CWC and then I wrap a towel around it ... still upside down.

After a while, I remove the towel, adds a bit of conditioner, that I don't rinse, and then I carefully detangle ... still upside down.
Headbang a little before detangle it normally.

My hair is around BSL

Mischamiu
January 29th, 2013, 03:29 PM
My hair is really fine and tangly but I still wash it upside down :) Well I begin washing it the "normal" way and then go upside down it gets a bit tangly but it feels a lot cleaner this way :blossom:

jeanniet
January 29th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I never do anything to my hair with my head upside down. It's asking for a disaster. I think it probably really depends on your hair type, thickness, etc. Mine is thick and wurly, so anything that puts it out of normal will tangle it. I could wash it upside down if I very painstakingly detangled it all right-side up, then upside down before washing, but then I'd have to detangle it all over again when it was right-side up again, so what's the point?

dwell_in_safety
January 29th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I always wash upside down without any issues yet. Interesting how it works for some and not for others. I CO-wash, putting conditioner into my hair when it's dry and leaving it in for 30-60 minutes before hopping into the shower. I flip my hair upside down before I wet it at all, and bringing it back to normal (which I do before my ACV rinse, to further rinse any conditioner out) doesn't create any tangles, either, as long as I'm gentle with it. It usually only takes me about ten minutes to fully rinse my hair, because I rinse it upside down first.

CurlyCurves
January 29th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear that, OP. I have to rinse my hair upside down because, once the conditioner is washed out, I have to try my best not to touch it or disturb it in any way. I can't wash it out after showering because I have to scrunch it and let it set into its curls/air dry straight away, so I get ready then wash it out with my head over the tub. PITA, though, because I get this bit at the back that I have to finger comb to get it to come down, and it breaks up the curls there.

spidermom
January 29th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I like to condition upside down because I can get conditioner on pretty much all the canopy hairs without getting it on my scalp. My scalp HATES conditioner.

It does seem to tangle more when I make the transition from upside down to right side up again, but it's not so bad that I can't do it.

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I can't do it either. Mine tangles up into a mass of tangles.

CJCHair-stylist
January 29th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I think its a matter of having zero knots before you start the process. Combing it upside down before you wash etc. However with your length paired with even the slightest curl it will definitely create tangle city at the bottom of your hair, so its an absolute no-no unless you have someone on hand to help you.

Here is a little something I thought you might enjoy watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5o1ZCwefiQ

This woman has amazing hair.

morrigan*
January 30th, 2013, 12:36 AM
I always wash upside down, my hair get cleaner that way, and i'm not cold. Also i don't get tangles that way.

spirals
January 30th, 2013, 02:31 AM
I wash right-side-up but rinse upside-down. It helps give my roots more volume.

Ramille
January 30th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Always have to wash right side up now. The upside down method seems to be a homestyle mimic of the salon, where you lay back in the chair and let the shampoo flow away from your scalp. For me the upside down makes major snarls.

hippie girl
January 30th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Mine always feels cleaner when I wash upside down too, as well as feeling like it has more volume. I never had a tangle issue, but I would agree that combing in the right (upside down) direction is helpful to prevent them.

I don't do it as often as I would like to though. I used to do an upside down wash in the shower every few times I washed, but don't do it nearly as frequently anymore.

IndigoOptimist
January 30th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I can wash my hair upside down, but only if I really need to (haven't got time to shower/no hot water and have to use the sink). I don't see any difference personally, but it's nice to have the option if I need it I guess ;)

dollyfish
January 30th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Hm. I always wash upside down! There's no other way to get underneath my hair, there's so gosh darn much of it.

I try to make sure my hair is *relatively* detangled first, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. The trick is to wash the scalp right-side-up first, then flip upside down to get the back of the scalp WITHOUT TOUCHING any of the length what so ever! If I actually were to try to wash all of my hair upside down I'm sure it would tangle like crazy. But I just do the roots, the flip back up as smoothly as I can manage. My hair is a little tanglier than it before after this, but then I coat it with a buttload of conditioner which seems to help. And thankfully my hair is coarse and strong so when it IS tangled I can pull apart the pieces without ripping hair. I can see why this wouldn't work for fine hair.

hippie girl
January 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM
I can only do this in the shower, IndigoOptimist . It has to be all sort of "laid out" straight so that it won't get in a tangled bunch, like in the sink.

Or perhaps I should say that I assume it would get into a tangled bunch in the sink, so I only do it in the shower where I can stretch it straight out, so to speak. I never actually do it in the sink.

I think I must have learned that by doing one to many washes in the sink as it was getting longer. I must have started getting tangles and stopped using the sink. Because, somehow, I just never use a sink anymore. Tub only.

Dollyfish, I agree with you on getting to the underside. I think that is part of what creates the volume for me, the extra cleaning of the underneath. My hair is so fine and fairly thin though, so that for the most part I can wash standing up and get it clean enough. The occasional flip over every so often makes it extra fluffy and clean cause the underside is getting it's due.

spookyghost
February 1st, 2013, 06:38 PM
I have always washed my hair upside down-since I was a little girl. I have never washed my hair the regular way and when I do it gets tangled and I cant get all the shampoo out. Its a mangled mess. It feels unnatural to me. I always felt I was odd because of how I washed my hair-but I love washing it this way.

littlestarface
February 1st, 2013, 07:02 PM
I have always washed my hair upside down-since I was a little girl. I have never washed my hair the regular way and when I do it gets tangled and I cant get all the shampoo out. Its a mangled mess. It feels unnatural to me. I always felt I was odd because of how I washed my hair-but I love washing it this way.

Lol its like oppesite :p i cant do your way and you cant do mine:lol:

lapushka
February 1st, 2013, 07:20 PM
Here's a good how-to on washing upside down (to some it may be right side up - haha!;)):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnlC12W8vk

littlestarface
February 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM
Here's a good how-to on washing upside down (to some it may be right side up - haha!;)):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnlC12W8vk

Thats how I did it looool.

teal
February 1st, 2013, 07:29 PM
I always wash upside down. My hair gets cleaner, I don't irritate the skin on my back with conditioner, and I just find it easier overall - I say that having done it the other way for most of my life. Detangle upside down first, of course... disaster if I don't! It's ready for wrapping in a towel when I get out and if I'm in a hurry I can twist it into a messy bun without combing. I can't see any reason for going back, honestly.

Amygirl8
February 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM
I do wash upside down, but not for the whole time- just when I shampoo so I get my scalp cleaned well, and then I rinse and condition right-side up.
It never gives me tangles though. I think I would be able to wash this way, but I can't have water in my eyes when rinsing so I can't.

rock007junkie
February 1st, 2013, 08:18 PM
I usually wash upside down when I'm rinsing off henna. It looks like a matted mess when I apply the conditioner. However, since I live the conditioner for an hour or so I have not trouble detangling afterwards.

Sharysa
February 1st, 2013, 09:33 PM
I can't stand upside-down washing. My hair is coarse AND really thick, so it tangles at the slightest provocation.

AspenSong
February 1st, 2013, 09:46 PM
I stupidly washed upside down today (decided suddenly to clarify wash and didn't need a whole shower!) and it took me like 15 minutes to tangle teeze the snarls out of my hair, even after soaking it down in conditioner. I used to wash like this all the time, but apparently with my hair the length it is at this point, it's just a no go for me.

Luminaria
February 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
I ALWAYS wash my hair upside down! I easily become cold and my eczema get really bad if I shower for a long time. I detangle upside down with my TT, bend over the bathtub and wash my hair. After I put my hair in a turbie towel. Then I can take a shower if i like to, without freezing or get my eczemas to dry and itchy! After 15 minutes or so I take the turbie of, shake my head so the hair fall down and then airdry. I detangle once again when the hair i almost dry. Works well for me, but I have waistlength 1b/M/ll hair. Maybe I have to come up with something different with longer lenghts! Me too! I started washing my hair upside down when I got bacne from shampoo/conditioner. I just stuck with it. Surprisingly enough, my hair doesn't tangle badly this way.

ghost
February 3rd, 2013, 01:16 AM
I can't wash upside down either, even if I detangle first. My midlengths and ends just grab onto each other for dear life and won't let go. One try was enough for me!

Ligeia_13
February 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
I can barely work through the tangles by washing upright, never mind upside down washing. :/ I remember I used to when I was a teenager though, I suppose back then I just ripped through my hair.

bunzfan
February 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
I do get a lot of tangles but my hair is so much cleaner, in fact i've been bending over and washing it in the shower.

silverthread
February 4th, 2013, 05:24 AM
It's funny this thread should come about now. In the last two showers, I've noticed that washing my hair upside down is causing a lot of tangling, and I have to glob on the conditioner to get through it. I guess it must be because my hair is getting longer, or it's a combination of length, having very fine hair that is also relatively thick. I'm buying a shower comb, and I'm going to try washing my hair in sections, standing upright, to see if that reduces the tangling during the shower.

Vampyria
February 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I actually lose less hair when washing upside down. I did it when my hair was at MBL also, and I had no problems with tangles while finger combing (my hair was pretty thin then though). I also can't stand cold showers, so rinsing my hair with cold water upside down is a lot more comfortable.

Nanna
September 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I just get water into my nose, so can't wash upside down! Otherwise I probably would, at least sometimes. I tried it once and had to stop right away, didn't even get to properly wetting my hair. :eek:

rose313
September 30th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I didn't know this was a thing! I occasionally wash upside down with my head over the sink or bathtub. I haven't noticed any difference. However, I don't brush or comb my hair wet. I wait until it dries then finger comb it. I shed hair no matter what.

I do get scared that the ends of my hair will get sucked down the drain though, and get drain gunk on them. Gross.

lapushka
September 30th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I just get water into my nose, so can't wash upside down! Otherwise I probably would, at least sometimes. I tried it once and had to stop right away, didn't even get to properly wetting my hair. :eek:

Whatever you're doing, you're not supposed to be near your nose with the water. :lol:

which.chick
September 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
When I was very young (8? maybe 9) I washed my below-shoulder-length hair by flipping it forward and kneeling so that I could get my head under the tub faucet. (I took baths back then.) Then I'd pile my hair on top of my head like the J&J No More Tears shampoo ads and smush it all round and then flip it forward and rinse it (no conditioner). Then I'd towel dry it and go to bed with it damp (and not combed). To say that this was not a successful routine would be an understatement. Mom got tired of the screaming fights in the morning and I got short hair against my will. In fairness, mom had short hair and no idea how to care for longer hair and it was the seventies so there was no internet to save us.

I currently wash my (tailbone-length) baby-fine dead straight hair by detangling and then washing a la the TorrinPaige videos. (She does pretty much what I figured out for myself about my third year of college, when my hair hit my bra strap.) I am not sure, at this time, that I could detangle my hair if I flipped it forward and then got it wet. I'm not-sure-enough that I am unwilling to try it. But, we all have different hair. If it works for other folks, more power to them. :)

stachelbeere
September 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM
When I was very young (8? maybe 9) I washed my below-shoulder-length hair by flipping it forward and kneeling so that I could get my head under the tub faucet. (I took baths back then.) Then I'd pile my hair on top of my head like the J&J No More Tears shampoo ads and smush it all round and then flip it forward and rinse it (no conditioner). Then I'd towel dry it and go to bed with it damp (and not combed). To say that this was not a successful routine would be an understatement. Mom got tired of the screaming fights in the morning and I got short hair against my will. In fairness, mom had short hair and no idea how to care for longer hair and it was the seventies so there was no internet to save us.

I currently wash my (tailbone-length) baby-fine dead straight hair by detangling and then washing a la the TorrinPaige videos. (She does pretty much what I figured out for myself about my third year of college, when my hair hit my bra strap.) I am not sure, at this time, that I could detangle my hair if I flipped it forward and then got it wet. I'm not-sure-enough that I am unwilling to try it. But, we all have different hair. If it works for other folks, more power to them. :)

errrm... that was kind of my routine in the 90s, the no conditioner, sleeping on a towel hehe (I didn't know stuff like conditioners existed...?) even when I was old enough to take showers. lets just say that washing my hair under a faucet was not something uncommon for me :) and I've had short hair all my life... until now! kinda.

Tangle or Curl?
September 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I rinse upside down all the time. I just make sure I have lots of conditioner in and then follow usual detangling rules. Get just my ands wet and detangle the last 3 inches, then move up a section. It really helps be build root volume/curl and make sure I get my nape hairs clean to avoid tangling later....provided that I comb my nape hairs from underneath after done rinsing. I love it!

Cherry*Tree
September 30th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I'm going to have to try rinsing my hair upside down. Any upsides that anyone's noticed?

RainbowBowser
September 30th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Personally I like washing/rinsing my hair upside down, kinda reminds me of when my mom used to wash my hair over the kitchen sink when I was 11/12. Maybe its a thing people learn to like? I enjoy it, but hardly ever do it. If it has any effect on my hair I haven't noticed.

Merlin
October 1st, 2013, 12:12 AM
Personally I like washing/rinsing my hair upside down, kinda reminds me of when my mom used to wash my hair over the kitchen sink when I was 11/12. Maybe its a thing people learn to like? I enjoy it, but hardly ever do it. If it has any effect on my hair I haven't noticed.

I know somebody who still washes head down over the sink, and she's in her 40s, just because that was how her mum washed her hair when she was younger and she likes the feeling of doing it!

bananahanna
October 1st, 2013, 12:43 AM
Interesting, I never knew this was a thing. I just happened to start doing this recently(?) I can't even remember when.. I just finger comb before and flip before it's too wet. Then I section out the hair into 2-3 parts and shampoo each part. this way always made sense to me. Come to think of it, I might have even done it at BSL, but my hair is really short now. It also seems easier to condition more effectively. However my disclaimer is that my hair has never had a tangle problem except when it has 6-8 inches of bleach/bleach/bleach hair

Nanna
October 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM
Whatever you're doing, you're not supposed to be near your nose with the water. :lol:

I have no idea how I should be doing it, just whenever I try bending upside down in the shower the water is instantly in my nose! Maybe I'm just sensitive, or have a funny-shaped head... :D

Iku-Turso
October 1st, 2013, 10:16 AM
I wash my hair upside down, almost exactly like ArienEllariel:

...I brush my hair out really well upside down, then make sure not to flip my head over again before getting into the shower.. I just sorta grab my hair and hold it in place.. lol Then in the shower I wet it down with the handheld shower attachment, add shampoo (and do NOT lump all my hair together in a ball), scrub my scalp good front and back and let the suds run down the length. Rinse, add conditioner to the length, and carefully bun it and squish to my head so I can stand upright and do other showerly duties. When done, let hair down again upside down to rinse conditioner, immediately towel....

I just don't comb my hair if it is wet, or occasionally I might do some fingercombing, if I'm aiming for straight hair. When I step out of the shower and my hair is dripping water, I towel with t-shirt, and then put an another dry t-shirt around my hair. (I put the t-shirt wrong way, so that the neckline is around my head, and the hair is inside the t-shirt.) After 15 minutes I take the t-shirt off, hang my hair in front of me, almost upside down, and then I do a parting in my hair starting from my neck and ending to my forehead.

I get terrible tangles if I wash "normally". It also feels, that brushing, washing and conditioning hair is easier for me when my head is upside down. I don't plan to grow past classic, so there will be no problem with the hair sucking down the drain...