PDA

View Full Version : Placenta...?

minxe
January 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Today I went to Walmart to pick up some nail polish remover, and I wandered into the hair aisle to see what I could find. There was a small cluster of hair treatments I was looking through. On the bottom shelf, pushed alllll the way to the right corner, was a henna and placenta mask (priced at $0.99).

I have a few questions:

1. Why?
2. Would you put that on your hair?

hafattack
January 29th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Protein!! And probably not haha

Kiwiwi
January 29th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I have NO clue but I love the way you asked the questions ;)

Edit: Oh, hahaha! I thought it was one question "why would you put that on your hair?", asked in two to emphasize how weird is is to you, bahaha!

Uhm, no I would't. I believe...

Lauram
January 29th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Haha. It's plant placenta most likely. Not as gross!

minxe
January 29th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I have NO clue but I love the way you asked the questions ;)

Edit: Oh, hahaha! I thought it was one question "why would you put that on your hair?", asked in two to emphasize how weird is is to you, bahaha!

Uhm, no I would't. I believe...

I should add a third question, haha! I'd like to know why someone would put that on their head, since there's obviously a market for that :p

minxe
January 29th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Haha. It's plant placenta most likely. Not as gross!

Ahh, I thought only mammals had placentas. Thanks for the clarification!

Ishje
January 29th, 2013, 06:32 AM
I would love to see the ingredient list XD

minxe
January 29th, 2013, 06:37 AM
I would love to see the ingredient list XD

Pulled from their website:

Water/Eau, Acetamide Mea, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Flower/Fruit/Leaf Extract, Ceteareth-20, Placental Protein, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Isostearyl Ethylimidazolinium Etholsulfate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance/Parfum.

Evie
January 29th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I think that actually it is animal placenta, let me see if I can find a link - yep, here's a sachet selling on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Hask-Placenta-Henna-Original-1pack/dp/B000926WME)saying that the placenta is "derived from animal placenta with added amino acids". I am not that squeamish with this (I mean, I'm not vegetarian, in the same way that I do use emu oil and the like) and I did try it but I'm sure someone mentioned a health worry about the possible oestrogens in it? *scratches head, was so long ago I can't remember*

Bagginslover
January 29th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Plants don't have placentas that I know of.....it will most likely be of mammalian source. I would use it, its no different than eating meat, which I do.

Evie
January 29th, 2013, 06:43 AM
*off topic with plant scientist hat on

Plants actually do have a placenta - this is the best description I could find of it in a hurry (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/462554/placenta). Plants are way cool! :)

ETA and good old wikepedia.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placentation#Placentation_in_plants

Not quite the same as in humans, I know.

*end hijack, puts plant scientist hat back in bag and heads to work.....

minxe
January 29th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Plants don't have placentas that I know of.....it will most likely be of mammalian source. I would use it, its no different than eating meat, which I do.

I almost exclusively eat meat :) I suppose the thought of having something from a uterus on my head sort of freaks me out haha

Bagginslover
January 29th, 2013, 07:08 AM
*off topic with plant scientist hat on

Plants actually do have a placenta - this is the best description I could find of it in a hurry (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/462554/placenta). Plants are way cool! :)

ETA and good old wikepedia.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placentation#Placentation_in_plants

Not quite the same as in humans, I know.

*end hijack, puts plant scientist hat back in bag and heads to work.....

That IS interesting! thank you for teaching me something!

Long_hair_bear
January 29th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I almost exclusively eat meat :) I suppose the thought of having something from a uterus on my head sort of freaks me out haha

Don't do an egg rinse then! :p

Bagginslover
January 29th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Don't do an egg rinse then! :p

Chickens/ducks don't have a uterus as such ;) but still, yes, same difference :)

Wildcat Diva
January 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
What about these products that have "urea"? That is what
grosses me out.

ArienEllariel
January 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
It's animal placenta. I bought one of these and now I'm thinking, DUHR, my hair's between bsl and waist. Why'd I only pick up one?? So now I'll have to go back and buy a couple more.

edit: by the way, my sister thinks this is sooooo gross and I'm nuts. hehe

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Today I went to Walmart to pick up some nail polish remover, and I wandered into the hair aisle to see what I could find. There was a small cluster of hair treatments I was looking through. On the bottom shelf, pushed alllll the way to the right corner, was a henna and placenta mask (priced at $0.99).

I have a few questions:

1. Why?
2. Would you put that on your hair?

why? cuz its a good source of protien and henna
would I? yes I would and do put that in my hair and it works really good,,makes my hair feel stronger.

jillosity
January 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
The placenta is most likely a by-product of factory farming, selling all the "leftovers" is big bizness!

(and no I would never ever put something of that nature on any part of my body. Very, very bad energy!)
(and yes, I've been veg for 27 years so I'm a bit biased.)

Seeshami
January 29th, 2013, 11:05 AM
If it's the brand I use it is placenta protein that's in it and it comes from sheep. I use Husk Placenta and olive oil spray in my hair and it makes it really soft and amazing. I guess it's not icky to me because I know it's from sheep. My leather jacket/boots are made from cow's skin, it doesn't seem much different.

Tota
January 29th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Why? Must be protein. Would I? I would try it to see the results and then decide if I like it or not. But I have never seen such products in our stores (yet).

Khristopher
January 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I have a similar hair masque, it says 'turtle placenta and oil'... but later it says it's synthetic. I don't know, it seems to be a good source of protein like eggs. I haven't used it for while because I had a protein overload lately.

browneyedsusan
January 29th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I've seen it too. I think it's a colorless henna treatment thing. The placenta alters the henna so it can't stain? That way you can get all the benefits of a henna treatment without having a permanent red stain in your hair? I think that's what it's for, but may be mistaken. --I like my henna straight up, thank you. :)

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I'm with you why would you put that on your head.

hufflepug
January 29th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I've been using Hask henna and placenta since I was a teenager. It smells nice and makes my hair really soft. There's all kinds of strange things in beauty products, most just don't slap it on the label.
It's a white cream that looks like any other conditioner. It's not like you're dumping a fresh bloody placenta on your head.

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I've been using Hask henna and placenta since I was a teenager. It smells nice and makes my hair really soft. There's all kinds of strange things in beauty products, most just don't slap it on the label.
It's a white cream that looks like any other conditioner. It's not like you're dumping a fresh bloody placenta on your head.

Have you notice any smell changes in this conditioner? I got some again recently and it smells like berries:confused: but i dont remember it smelling like that before. I use the one in packets.

hufflepug
January 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Have you notice any smell changes in this conditioner? I got some again recently and it smells like berries:confused: but i dont remember it smelling like that before. I use the one in packets.

I haven't bought it in a few months. I remember it smell sweet, almost candy like but not like berries. I'll have to pay attention next time I get it. I use the packets too, the brown and white ones, not the green one with olive oil (though I do want to try that soon)

littlestarface
January 29th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I haven't bought it in a few months. I remember it smell sweet, almost candy like but not like berries. I'll have to pay attention next time I get it. I use the packets too, the brown and white ones, not the green one with olive oil (though I do want to try that soon)

Yes thats the one I use too brown and white. I also used the green one and it works really nice, moisturizes really good and it smells nice.

akilina
January 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Ewww my best friend gave me one she was getting rid of and it had "Animal Placenta" in it!!!
She didn't want it but had used it before.

No thanks! I get that some people just love it and thinks it does wonderful things for the hair but no way, is "animal placenta" going on my head in any way shape or form.

I am not against animal products like this..but placenta....yikes! I mean...geez have you ever watched a dog or cat give birth? I just picture the gross slimy freak of nature looking blob.

Sure, worse has probably been on my head but the super duper vague and indirect "animal" placenta is what grosses me out most.
Im thinking.....what kind of ANIMAL? lol :p

Editing in...Yes I know its not like you put a bloody glob blob thing on your head and they usually smell nice and are clear/white/milky colored but still...it gives me the heebiejeebies.

Nae
January 29th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Eh, I have used it.

It is just protein. Nothing for me to worry about.

It worked fine as a conditioner but I don't particularly like it because the scent of it is SO strong. It is weird to hear what others think of the scent, I thought it was strongly floral.

Angela_Rose
January 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Why? It's loaded with protein.
Would I? Frequently do. Strengthening agents, softness, and a lovely smell. Plus the freakout factor is always fun. "You put WHAT on your HAIR?!"

Tabihito
January 29th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah, it doesn't really gross me out in the slightest. I've used it with little success, my hair just didn't particularly care for it, and the smell was almost nauseatingly overpowering, but had it worked I would gladly have used it again.

CurlyCurves
January 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I've used a product with placenta in it before, made my hair wonderfully soft. I don't see a problem with it, but as I am a vegetarian, I wouldn't use it now.

Kome
January 29th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I've used it when I worked at Sally's. I didn't like it that much. *shrugs*

Stagecoach
January 30th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I actually use this product a few times a year as my hair loves it. It doens't come out looking like a placenta! (Which are pretty cool looking, actually!) It's thick, white and creamy, and conditions my hair beautifully.

door72067
January 30th, 2013, 06:31 PM
the parabens kinda bother me more

LilBoPeep
January 30th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I have used placenta products in my hair before, and honestly they made my hair look and feel amazing. But now that I am a vegan I can no longer justify using them. But placenta hair products are wonderful in my super curly hair!

Dorothy
January 30th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I suspect placenta does not smell floral and that in the amounts used in hair stuff it may not smell much at all... it's probably cleaned and dried and powdered and rehydrated...or maybe they're covering it up with floral. An article I read said it's bovine placenta, at least sometimes, and it's for the protien. It would not bother me, I do all kinds of groddy things, there's dead raw beaver pelt plus head in my freezer right now that my ex found down by the river.... I'm planning to brain tan it with pig brains one of these days, but meanwhile it's hangin' out with the casseroles. In a bag. The bag is important to me.

ghost
January 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I've used it before, but it didn't do anything special to my hair so I wouldn't buy it again.
And I agree with akilina...what kind of animal?!
I've been reading HP Lovecraft all day, and that combined with the mental image of a placenta in its natural state has me thinking of shoggoths, etc...this way lies madness xD