PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros of having fine hair?

mzBANGBANG
January 29th, 2013, 05:33 AM
I'm currently hating on my hair, so I need a little perspective to feel better. All I've been seeing lately are the cons. The big one for me is my updos always look flat or fall apart because my hair is slippery. It never feels very weighted down though, and attracts static.

My only pro is that it is very soft.

Can someone help me be less of a hater? Maybe provide some tips could use in my routine that are fine hair friendly.

Last night I dreamt I had a thick full head of brunette hair in a sleek bob...talk about envy!

WaitingSoLong
January 29th, 2013, 05:45 AM
The only one I can think of is that is it not heavy for updo's.

I have the same issues as you. Wearing my hair loose is about impossible because each hair just floats around and in winter I don't dare because of the static.

ETA: It takes less time to dry!

wendylai
January 29th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Sometimes I'm really happy with my hair.. Freshly washed, combed and dried, it's naturally straight, no iron needed, seems "even" and silky.. at times I put some heat defense stuff on it after washing without actually using heat, it gives some texture but let's the hair flow freely. Hmm what else.. the up do's are a real deal breaker for me too, I dont even like braiding it because it becomes so indifferent. I'm nearly waist now and I think tailbone is defo the longest I would go because I cant imagine wearing and updo more than I already do.

Mine doesnt tangle horribly . It does some, but actually even now when I have some kinky ends due not trimming it's manageable. This has though given me and idea how things might be should I not have naturally straight hair :D

Oh yeah.. when it's clean it puffes up and looks thicker. That's something !

Bagginslover
January 29th, 2013, 06:43 AM
you are fine, and thick, so you have more hair for sectioning into intricate updos ;)

Fairlight63
January 29th, 2013, 07:00 AM
My hair is thin & fine and VERY tangily! When I try to get the tangles out I sometimes think what would I do if I had a LOT of hair to have to get the tangles out of.

Tota
January 29th, 2013, 07:15 AM
My hair is also fine and right now I struggle with it. Wintertime is not good for my hair, it makes it tangly, staticy, dryer than dry and just looking dull.All the deep conditioning and oiling cannot make my hair happy right now. And all the potential damage that could be done by coat zippers and winter scarfs ... ugh. Buns and braids are my best friends right now.

But when I think about spring and summer when my hair will be much more manageable and longer (because I decided not to touch my hair with scissors all winter) and I will be able to just let it loose, my heart sings ;) So think about that. Maybe the weather conditions are not the best for your hair right now, but it will happen soon enough and you will fall in love with your hair all over again ;)

silverthread
January 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
The pros of fine hair: at times it has almost a "fairy" look, kinda floaty and translucent; when it gets long, it's not as heavy as medium or coarse hair; fine hair folks usually have denser hair, but not always; the finer the hair, the softer it feels.

chen bao jun
January 29th, 2013, 07:36 AM
From the coarse hair perspective: Straight fine hair looks the silkiest. It's really very pretty, either up or down.

Even if you have thick hair and its fine, it has less volume. You probably do not have to search for barrettes, bobby pins, claw clips, etc that can hold your hair. Before I came on the forum, I did not know there was such a thing as a barrette that would not break in my hair.

I still don't want to wear my hair loose because it looks so wild. It doesn't flyway but it still frizzes and sticks out.

Mine does indeed take forever to dry.

My sister has fine hair. She has always been able to do hairstyles I can't, because mine, being thick and coarse is just so much--hairstyles don't look right. The only way mine looks better than hers is in a braid, because fat braids are nice. Otherwise hers ALWAYS looks better.

My hair does feel nice (especially after being on LHC) but when I touch my fine-haired friends hair, I can't believe how soft it is. Mine will never achieve that stroke-ableness.
The grass is greener!

Neneka
January 29th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Softness in one thing. :) I have trouble keeping my hands of my hair when it's down. It's so soft and feels so nice. :)

maborosi
January 29th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Softness and silkiness, for sure.
I have F/M hair, I've got super soft hair compared to my mom and sister, who have much coarser hair. I can do updos on much shorter hair than they can- my mom's at APL and she cannot braid her hair because it's too coarse/thick.

And my sister- who has super thick and coarse hair, has a hard time wearing updos because her hair is so heavy that it gives her a headache.

I do wish my hair were coarser sometimes, but I've come to love my hair because fine hair definitely does have its advantages.

~maborosi~

WaitingSoLong
January 29th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Fine hair and thin hair are not the same.

My son has VERY fine hair but it is uber thick.

Fine hair refers to the diameter of the actual hairs individually.

Thin hair refers to the quantity of it, whether course or fine.

torrilin
January 29th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I'm currently hating on my hair, so I need a little perspective to feel better. All I've been seeing lately are the cons. The big one for me is my updos always look flat or fall apart because my hair is slippery. It never feels very weighted down though, and attracts static.

Always looking flat is actually a pro for me. My updos are finally starting to look kind of large at past waist length, but it's normal human sort of large, not gigantic. I have the amazing disappearing hair :D. It always looks at least 6-12" shorter than it actually is in a bun. From looking at WSL and Spidermom and Hypnotica's pictures, I know that even at past classic, it'll still look like I have BSLish hair in a bun.

My hair is fine and dry, and that's actually a pro for me too. I've known since I was small (probably 7 or 8) that my hair was fragile fragile fragile. No one ever told me I couldn't have long hair tho... they told me I had to be extra careful and extra gentle and that the longer I wanted it, the more I had to learn to love my natural hair, because my hair just can't take much damage. So my habits are pretty gentle. I learned to love conditioner very early. And as a result, I don't get tons of splits compared to most people with fine hair.

As far as slippery... some kinds of buns work better than others. While the nautilus/pencil/lazy wrap family of buns is super popular here, and it's the basis of a lot of stuff, I don't think it's necessarily the easiest one to learn on fine and slippery hair. Twisted buns like the cinnamon bun and the manymanymany variants were a lot easier for me to learn. And knot buns are really useful for learning how to bun loosely with slippery hair. You can feel that too tight is bad and will cause damage. I also find that knot based buns stay very well. Hypnotica's youtube videos have been hugely helpful to me in learning to deal with slippery hair and buns.

Also, while slippery means buns are trickier, it means braids tend to work really well. There are a lot of updos based on braids that look really pretty in fine hair. Crown braids, heidi braids, various sorts of braided buns, tucked french braids, folded braids... There are scads of options. I keep a sort of collection of styles based on twin braids, because there are bunches that are easy to learn even if you feel totally braid challenged. With twin braids, you don't have to spend as much effort learning to do stuff blind, and you don't need much length to get pretty hair styles.

Kayleigh
January 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I have fine hair and I'm constantly frustrated with it. But since this is supposed to be a positive thread about fine hair it's better if I don't even get myself started on that. But I guess I don't even really dislike my fine hair, I just hate that I have thin hair. A lot of the times you can see my scalp the moment it gets just a tiny bit greasy.

But even though I can't think of positive things, people around me can. I once had someone tell me my hair was so beautifully fine and that it looked like the hair of a fairy. My best friend in high school just went on and on about how she wished she had my hair, because hers was so thick (while all the while I wished I had her hair). And another friend of mine who is currently training to become a hairdresser loves taking me to some particular exams because she claims my hairtexture is so easy to do updo's and braids with. So I guess there must be something positive about fine hair, but the grass is always greener on the other side.

silverthread
January 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Softness in one thing. :) I have trouble keeping my hands of my hair when it's down. It's so soft and feels so nice. :)

Me too, Neneka!! Then I always regret it, because hands-in-hair makes it not so soft.

torrilin
January 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I have fine hair and I'm constantly frustrated with it. But since this is supposed to be a positive thread about fine hair it's better if I don't even get myself started on that. But I guess I don't even really dislike my fine hair, I just hate that I have thin hair. A lot of the times you can see my scalp the moment it gets just a tiny bit greasy.

The see your scalp thing isn't actually a thin hair thing, it's a fine hair thing. There are a few posters around here who are f/iii or f/m/iii, and they have scalp show through issues just like any other fine haired person, even tho their hair is so densely packed it's hard to work product into it. Curly and fine just makes this even worse, since curly hair needs to clump to look good. There are a few posters with fine and curly hair who are just sure they look like they're going bald from the curl clumping.

I find the longer my hair gets, the more the super compressible is an advantage. My hair isn't really warm, and it never looks like I have tons of hair. So while it sucks to have a scalp that tries to fake people out with bald spots, it also means I can wear my hair down in summer and not die of heat stroke, and with my hair up I'm more comfortable than a lot of shorter haired people are in hot weather.

Wildcat Diva
January 29th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Just watch LOTR. Fine hair is completely ELVEN.

HTH

Elina
January 29th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I have really fine, flat, thin hair too. I have to learn to love it, since I'm born with it, so there's really nothing I can do about it. :)

But, regarding the updos, I just found out about the so called "paranda/parandi". Look it up! I tried it out, and even though my hair is only shoulder length it worked out for me. You can easily make on yourself!

bunzfan
January 29th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Mine is fine but also thick but, MZBANGBANG i love your sort of hair fine,blonde because it always looks glossy :crush: just like waitingsolong.

WaitingSoLong
January 29th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mine is fine but also thick but, MZBANGBANG i love your sort of hair fine,blonde because it always looks glossy :crush: just like waitingsolong.

HA HA because I only take pictures when it looks awesome LOL

bunzfan
January 29th, 2013, 11:10 AM
HA HA because I only take pictures when it looks awesome LOL

:lol: good tip i've banned myself from taking pictures of the length till its my 3 year anniversary, then i should get a nice surprise.

christiner
January 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM
another fine hair person here. even though it's fine it's soft and very shiny.

Angelica
January 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Something positive to say? It is silky and shiny. That's about all I can say really. But you have to learn to accept what you have :(

Vrindi
January 29th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Sleek and silky. Whenever I read about the Irish Sidhe (fairies), their hair is always described as being very fine and flowing like water. You have fairy hair! Try a couple of tiny accent braids along your part. Instant fancy!

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2013, 12:09 PM
It's softer. Up dos aren't as heavy. Doesn't take as long to dry.

Zabethbartsch
January 29th, 2013, 01:49 PM
At least in my own experience, I have to do very little to make it look good. Also, having to take extra special care of it to keep it healthy means that every length reached is a great accomplishment. Imagine how good it will feel when you reach your goal length, or even the next landmark length (SL, APL, BSL, waist, hip, classic, whatever it is) knowing that it is entirely your own doing and hard work that got it there!

Anje
January 29th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Fine hair SHINES like coarser hair almost never does.

Louise148
January 30th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I have baby fine hair that is also on the thin side and i often feel down about it. But I agree with many of the above comments such as quick drying, soft and shiny but also it's pretty easy to rinse things out of it so I don't have to spend as much time over the bath rinsing as some of my friends who have much thicker coarser hair.

Ambystoma
January 30th, 2013, 04:02 AM
I don't have fine hair, but I love looking at pictures of it since you finey's always seem to have such a smooth shine! My DH is 1a/f/i and it's so easy to make it ultra glossy and sleek (he hates this and uses BS/ACV so it has some oomph - I've never even tried to use my products on him, it'd be so heavy he'd probably look bald!). I love it though, it feels like faery gossamer to the touch. Mine gets as wide as it is long almost if I'm not careful to weigh it down, so I envy people that can have very sleek looking locks without a flatiron and piles and piles of 'coney serum!

Vanilla
January 30th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I find fine hair is shinier than m or coarse hair.

Mischamiu
January 30th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I have fine hair and lots of volume :) It isn't heavy at all. I love it :)

dancingrain91
February 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I have wavy/fuzzy sort of thick ( 3.5' to 4.1') fine hair with an oily scalp and dry ends. The shine never really happens, updos seem small and everyone is always talking about how "thin" my hair is. But it really is soft as silk and rarely feels heavy. Plus I seem to have a fast growth rate and it's harder to damage than my friend who has coarse hair. Even when we damage our hair the same I get more growth and less cut off by our hairdresser. Plus I have tons of volume. But then, I was raised to avoid certain things that would damage my hair.

Natalia
February 16th, 2013, 08:58 PM
You can do fanicier updo's without them eating your head or being to heavy.
You dont outgrow your beloved hairtoys as quickly.
You rarely turn into a triangle head poof.
Your hair looks sleek due to how well the strands copact.
Dries faster.
Its shiny.
Easier to do scalp massages and distrubute product.
Your ends dont stick out of a bun ala alfalfa :p

Thats all i can think of at the moment :)

AnqeIicDemise
February 17th, 2013, 12:07 AM
It isn't heavy nor hot. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know my thickness is something some ladies envy but I don't.

During the summer, I have to hide all the scissors and razors from myself because I want to *shave it off*.

And all year long I have to carefully figure out an up do I can either
a) re-do on a whim or
b) won't need to be redone, avoid pins if at all possible (or a crazy amount) that won't fall apart halfway through the day. Part of it is I'm prone to migraines and having a style I can't move around or one that has too many pins triggers the pain. Sometimes, even if my hair is loose, its sheer weight makes whatever migraine worse.

It doesn't help that braided styles are *fantastic* but I have carpal tunnel and on bad days I can't even brush my hair let alone have the dexterity to braid and weave my hair in a style that'll be comfortable.

As another poster said, you don't outgrow toys so easily. I often have a very, very short window where I can wear a particular toy. My favorite fork refuses to stay put and because I can't handle my hair along my nape anymore I know I'll never wear it again. (yup, half ups drive me nuts)

FLAT HAIR.. that's my enemy and I get it often. Thankfully I learned to wash my hair upside down but yeah.. bad back. It kind of hurts.

I need to work on pain management better. That's what I got out of this post. e.e No wonder I feel like I'm a zombie, I'm falling apart! -scampers off to book a massage-

jojo
February 17th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I have baby fine hair but it is thick just over 4".
Pros- its very shiny, its very soft, looks nice down as i have wavy hair
Cons- its too slippery sometimes, it tangles like mad if down too much

Phalaenopsis
February 17th, 2013, 11:40 PM
I think some people have a misconstrued vision on fine iii hair. The OP has F iii hair just I like I had for years (lost iii status after getting ill last year). And it doesn't dry faster. And it IS heavy in updos.

rowie
February 17th, 2013, 11:49 PM
The biggest pro I see with fine hair is having the ability to use a 100 percent boar bristle brush without having so much time sectioning very thick hair. For my thick hair it's not the time I'd want to invest. I'm so jealous that I can't buy the pure Mason Pearson boar bristle brush (the nylon is more recommended for my type, nylon is not the same for me as the regular boar brush), and I'm also jealous of people with thin super straight hair.

AnqeIicDemise
February 18th, 2013, 02:32 AM
I think some people have a misconstrued vision on fine iii hair. The OP has F iii hair just I like I had for years (lost iii status after getting ill last year). And it doesn't dry faster. And it IS heavy in updos.

I had not even noticed she had fine iii hair. Oh jebus. I have a friend with fine hair whose pony tail circumference makes my piddly 4 inches seem that.. piddly. I had the joy of doing her bridal hair and I have to say it was difficult. Such beautiful, dark ash blonde but so *thick* (pony circumference on her was thicker than my wrist). She washed her hair on Thursday and got married on Sunday--- her hair was still damp.

Yeah, that makes things a lot more difficult. That's what I get for not reading all the way.

Fine hair does look more smooth and silky than coarse hair, though. ^.- That's always a plus.

LadyLongLocks
February 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Fine hair seems to be more shiny and the ends always look silky.

lapushka
February 18th, 2013, 06:38 PM

Bang on! True. It does not dry faster and it is heavy in updos. I have F hair and the fact that it's iii cancels the pros of F hair out, pretty much.

Nenwing
February 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Just watch LOTR. Fine hair is completely ELVEN.

HTH

True! :D

I have fine hair and sometimes it really drives me nuts, but I suppose the smooth shiny look can be nice with it (if it doesn't get all static first that is lol)!

leslissocool
February 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I am a super coarse, the you can floss with your hair without breaking type. I love my texture, I love how heavy my hair is even though I have neck pains from it and tend to ear a single braid down the back most of the time.

My son and husband have fine straight hair. I don't really need to brush my son's hair (shoulder length about), his hair looks amazing no matter what. And the softness :agape: seriously I didn't know hair could feel like that. So soft and and shiny. My daughter and I have coarse hair, although our hair grows a lot faster than my son's we always end up doing his hair and petting it and playing with it. It's just so soft and pretty :p.

Nedertane
February 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Thought of one today (other than softness, even though that's an awesome pro), though it may not be a pro for everyone. It seems to me (and I think at least one other person said something on here to this effect as well?) that "wispies" are much easier to achieve with fine hair. I don't know about you, but I like having soft, wispy bits that come out of my braids, half-ups or what have you. No idea why, but they just seem to look nice. They may not be to everyone's tastes, though, of course.

hafattack
February 19th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Ooh wisps! I also consider that a pro :)

AutobotsAttack
April 7th, 2020, 12:36 PM
Things I consider pros:
1. Virtually weightless and light hair
2. Still very dense so I can pull off thick looking buns and braids
3. If I want to go for a super sleek look I just wet my hair
4. Chemicals take to my hair really quick. Which means I need less
processing time and can be finished faster.
5. When my hair has adequate moisture levels, it literally feels like
a soft fluffy plush blanket.
6.If I did a good job detangling in the shower, after my hair has
reached a certain level of dampness I can just bend my head over
and shake my hair out, and it’s all fluffed out,dry, and tangle-free (For now).
7. No headaches from updos
8. Since I have fine, but also thick hair, I don’t need any sticks, scrunchies,
clips, or Bobby pins. My hair just stays up on its own. Although I still use these
accessories for style, because I like them.

ruthieannie98
April 7th, 2020, 01:41 PM
For me a pro of having fine hair is that it doesn’t take too long to dry 😊

Wusel
April 7th, 2020, 02:20 PM
No headaches, no scalp pain. my hair is SO heavy that I just can't wear a bun for longer than 4-6 hours... And I have never managed to get my hair longer than waist because of the headaches. Even with hair down.

lapushka
April 8th, 2020, 09:11 AM
No headaches, no scalp pain. my hair is SO heavy that I just can't wear a bun for longer than 4-6 hours... And I have never managed to get my hair longer than waist because of the headaches. Even with hair down.

Yes but a bun? iii at waist just barely cut it for me. My buns only became comfortable at hip with iii hair, Wusel. So maybe it is just a case of needing more length? I got headaches from straining the hair at waist to just get it up. That is why I wore a peacock twist aka logroll later as it grew for such a long time, with a plain claw clip.

demonamay
April 8th, 2020, 07:01 PM
Very silky & shiny. Often only fine hair has these qualities.

Stray_mind
April 8th, 2020, 10:24 PM
I have F/M hair but more on the F side.

I like how fluffy and voluminous my hair gets due to the lightness of it and the "air pockets". It looks thicker than it is when it's down. And doesn't feel heavy at all (even when it was around hip length).

Buns and braids look delicate and elegant.

My hair is very soft and is easy to detangle due to the slippery nature of the strands.

Dries faster after a wash.

I have cute soft whispies framing my face.

When i have it down or in a half up i feel like a fairy or an elf. Haha.

0xalis
April 9th, 2020, 01:27 AM
All sorts of hairstyles are available much earlier than to those with thick hair.
My wife can hardly get her hair into a ponytail because it's thick slippery pacific islander hair, and it slips out within the hour, whereas I can get my hair to stay in a ponytail all day. We're both at chin length.
I can do cinnabuns and a messy LWB at APL while I think I've heard some can't do a LWB until HIP! I can't begin to imagine...
I'll take my unimpressive braid any day, thick haired longhairs get nothing but the utmost respect from me!

I guess I answered more based on thickness in general rather than thickness of strands, but the point stands from my end. I have finer strands and only a medium amount of it.

Bri-Chan
April 10th, 2020, 06:06 AM
Well, it looks delicate, especially in braids. I think that fine hair with ii thickness is the hairtype that looks more like fairy hair.

hannabiss
April 10th, 2020, 09:23 AM
A resurrected thread. <3
A pro for me is how soft my hair is. Anytime anyone's touched it they've been blown away at how silky it is...not gonna lie I still get wowed by the softness every once in a while.

Lucy McLucyFace
April 10th, 2020, 01:49 PM
I had fine hair when I was a kid and it looked so much more glossy and smooth than now that it's thick and coarse and gets frizzy easily