PDA

View Full Version : Is Hair Rebonding Safe For me??

Silky
August 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Hii!!!
i m silky and i need some good advice from u guys. I have medium length and dry and wavy hairs. I want straight n silky, shiny hair which my hairdresser told me that i would be able to achieve from doin hair rebonding. But i have never done any chemical treatment like such in my hair and i scared that it wont damage my hairs. Can u ppl advice me wat to do? Is this procedure safe or it will do damage to my hair for long time. I have even heard that by doin rebonding there also rises hair-loss problems. There is an important function coming up at my place and i want to look different. Plzz advice me.

ladyshannonanne
August 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM
This might not be what you want to hear, but I'd stay away from harsh chemical treatments, especially something like rebonding. At first, your hair may look the way you want it, but you're damaging your hair and it's not going to look good in the long run. I think you might be better off talking to your hairdresser about ways to work with your natural texture and length to achieve some different looks. Fighting nature's design for your hair takes time, money, and effort--not only that, it usually damages your hair.

My best advice is to get a haircut and find the right products for your hair that will help you work with what you already have. If your hair is really dry, you might want to stop shampooing and switch to conditioner only washing. If you're not familiar with this method, there are lots of how-to's and discussions about co washing on LHC.

Best of luck!

Bene
August 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM
before you try anything as extreme as a chemical treatment, why not try natural treatments? there are plenty of recipes here that help A LOT. i have dry hair as well, and just by simply looking around on this site, i've found care techniques and treatments that really made a big difference. i'm sure there are things that can help you.

maybe by explaining what it is that you don't like about your hair will help other people here give you better information than i can.

please consider other options before doing anything drastic. your hair will thank you in the future.

Shanarana
August 26th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I'm a bit confused.....you say you have medium length hair but your stats say that it is 5"? If you want long silky hair doing a chemical treatment at that length would not help growing out your hair healthy.

There are other things you can do to dress up your hair for an event.

Katze
August 26th, 2008, 07:31 AM
welcome here!

If that is you in the pic, you can confidently go to ANY special event and look just fine. Many people would be very happy if they had such thick, long hair as yours. :)

I have no idea what rebonding is, but it sounds BAD. Most of us on this site are committed to natural, gentle hair care, because experience has told us that chemical processes of ALL kinds damage our hair and prevent us from growing real, long, healthy hair.

In my case everything people in salons did to my hair and recommended for my hair was bad for it and prevented it from growing. I tend to suspect that most salons, even the most expensive ones, really have NO idea how to really care for hair, especially "special" (fine, coarse, wavy, curly, thin, thick) hair, and in particular have no idea how to treat long - longer than shoulder - hair.

This is what I've learned from this site, and what we here are all about. If this is right for you (learning how to REALLY care for your hair so it is healthy and the best it can be) then you've come to the right place. If you're looking for advice on extensive salon treatments, you might not find it here.

good luck!

Katze

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2008, 08:06 AM
HAir rebonding means they break down the bonds that make your hair curly or wavy to turn them straight. Aka, relaxing or thermal reconditioning.

They're all damaging, but some techniques are worse than others. The best would be Japanese hair straightening, which is SUPPOSED to do the least damage. It can cost ridiculous amounts of money. Then there's regular thermal reconditioning, which I've seen the results of, and sometimes, they might not be pleasing.

And relaxers are just a pain in the ass, from what I've heard, though some people love them. I don't really know what the effect would be on 3a hair, since I've only seen the results on what I THINK is 4a, 4a/4b, and 4b hair, though obviously I wouldn't know anymore. There's a few online with 3b or 3c hair that've done it, but 3a, I'm not sure.

And if your hair is dry now, rebonding PROBABLY won't change that. XD If you do do it, you're going to have to treat your hair delicately, and probably give it a LOT of protein. If you want straight hair for an event, you're better off just straightening it, though we don't really recommend that here either.

Nightshade can show you THAT though. >.>

mira-chan
August 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM
HAir rebonding means they break down the bonds that make your hair curly or wavy to turn them straight. Aka, relaxing or thermal reconditioning.

They're all damaging, but some techniques are worse than others. The best would be Japanese hair straightening, which is SUPPOSED to do the least damage. It can cost ridiculous amounts of money. Then there's regular thermal reconditioning, which I've seen the results of, and sometimes, they might not be pleasing.

And relaxers are just a pain in the ass, from what I've heard, though some people love them. I don't really know what the effect would be on 3a hair, since I've only seen the results on what I THINK is 4a, 4a/4b, and 4b hair, though obviously I wouldn't know anymore. There's a few online with 3b or 3c hair that've done it, but 3a, I'm not sure.

And if your hair is dry now, rebonding PROBABLY won't change that. XD If you do do it, you're going to have to treat your hair delicately, and probably give it a LOT of protein. If you want straight hair for an event, you're better off just straightening it, though we don't really recommend that here either.

Nightshade can show you THAT though. >.>

Not nightshade but I can show the pictures too. ^_^

Undamaged hair (http://www.inhairco.com/hc.jpeg)

Hair with straightening or curling perm causes similar damage (http://www.scott.k12.va.us/rita/image010.jpg)

Source site of the picture. (http://scott.k12.va.us/rita/permquest.htm)

Nightshade
August 26th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Not only that, your hair will grow back in at your natural texture, meaning that the straightening will need to be redone every so often, and no matter how careful they are, overlap and compounding damage is going to occur.

Not nightshade but I can show the pictures too. ^_^

Source site of the picture. (http://scott.k12.va.us/rita/permquest.htm)

:twisted: muhahahahahhhhahahaa!!!! I get some morbid joy out of posting those pics and seeing other post them.

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Not only that, your hair will grow back in at your natural texture, meaning that the straightening will need to be redone every so often, and no matter how careful they are, overlap and compounding damage is going to occur.

:twisted: muhahahahahhhhahahaa!!!! I get some morbid joy out of posting those pics and seeing other post them.

Yep, she's right. I forgot to mention it, but it IS a deadly cycle. Your hair isn't going to stop growing, and, eventually, your roots will curl when they're long enough, and straight hair will be below that. It takes upkeep.

My friend only get her's done twice a year, but she has to blow dry or straighten to keep it from freaking, and her hair is normally wavy.

mira-chan
August 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM

So do I. :twisted: A picture or two gets the point across very well in a way that text description can't.

Aisha25
August 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hello dear and welcome I do not think chemicals will make your hair nice, only natural ways can do this for your hairs. Those straightning is only temporary and will do more damage than good.
Aisha

wintersun99
August 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Nevermore
August 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Nearly any chemical treatment will leave some damage, possibly with the exception of deposit-only coloring, so know now that this WILL cause damage. It may look good or it may not, but it's going to be damaging.

If this special event is a single night/day thing, blow drying straight or carefully using a flat iron might be your best bet if you want straight hair. Careful use of heat is better than chemical restructuring, for sure.

FrannyG
August 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Silky, and welcome. :waving:

Straightening hair is always a damaging process. In fact, because of the needs of curly hair, and the shape of the individual hairs, straightening is even more damaging than a perm, which I can tell you from personal experience is very damaging indeed.

I would only recommend you do it only if you do not intend on growing your hair out any longer than it is.

Shanarana
August 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
:bigeyes: Oh no......not the pictures.......:scared::tmi:shudder:

DavidN
August 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Silky, and welcome to the LHC!

Speaking as a chemist, I know that chemicals used to straighten or otherwise "relax" hair are based on sodium hydroxide, or other basic compounds. These chemicals are so harsh that they actually destroy the chemical bonds that give hair its elasticity. In fact, sodium hydroxide is one of the chief components of Drano, so it is understandable that severe damage can be caused.

Shanarana
August 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM
:agape:Drano? Did you just say drano?:run:

AmselJoey
August 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Just thought I would share my own personal experience in case it helps...

I had my hair chemically straightened twice towards the end of high school and still regret it to this day. It did NOT give me the straightness I wanted and eventually turned my long beautiful hair into a damaged, short, and straggly mess that took over a year to get back to normal. It took finding LHC in 2006 to finally get it healthy again and gain my length back.

In my opinion don't do it! :)

I used to be obsessed with having straight hair, but am now much happier with embracing my waves. It takes me much less time in the morning to get ready now that I am not fighting my hair. Plus it looks and feels soooo much healthier!

AmselJoey :happydance:

Pierre
August 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Hair is basically an asleep protein known as keratin. Hair rebonding is a procedure where the chemical bonds in your hair are broken, rearranged and bonded backwards again permanently using really powerful chemicals.

All your articlesbase are belong to us. ;)

I've never done any sort of perming, udmurting, straightening, rebonding, or bleaching on my hair. I know enough to stay away from them. The closest I've gotten to them is when I hennaed someone's permed hair.

wintersun99
August 26th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Silky
August 28th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Thank You so much for your advice guys:)

Silky
August 28th, 2008, 12:21 AM
So can you advice me that how can i turn my Dry hairs into manageable and silky hairs. Waiting for your replies.:cheese:

Bene
August 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
seeing that you're a curly, with dry hair, and probably using different products to manage it, i'd suggest first getting rid of all that stuff. i was in the same boat as you, so i'll tell you what i did.

first, clarify. get rid of all that gunk.

check out the SMT treatment, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&)... i just did conditioner and honey because i couldn't get my grubby little paws on any aloe gel.

then finish off with an ACV rinse (diluted apple cider vinegar)

i'll occasionally do a protein treatment, such as hask's henna n' placenta.

this has done wonders for my hair. it really tamed it down, and while it still has some curly texture, it is soft, silky and shiny.

i hope this helps. good luck :)

ladyshannonanne
August 28th, 2008, 01:32 AM
What's your hair routine? Do you shampoo everyday? Do you use a shampoo with sulfates? If so, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, or something else? If you do use a sulfate shampoo, you could switch to a sulfate-free alternative or use a less harsh sulfate, like laureth.

Also, you could try cutting back on how often you shampoo. Just rinse you hair with water and put some conditioner on your ends when you shower. My mom has dry hair and she only shampoos once a week, and her hair never looks dirty. You may want to cut back gradually, and let your scalp realize that it doesn't need to produce enough oil because you're not washing your hair as often.

Cut back on heat styling or cut it out all together. This is can make such a huge difference! Don't blow dry your hair unless you really have to, and certainly don't use curling or flat irons on a regular basis.

You might also want to try conditioner only cleansing. I'm not a co girl, so I'm not the right one to ask here, but I'll bet someone else will post about that. Otherwise, there are several co threads in this site.

Hope that helps! From your pic, it looks like you're starting out with beautiful hair already. Best of luck!

young&reckless
August 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM
When I want to knock out the wave in my hair I condish it more and then after it is about half way dry (natural drying, no blow dryers or fans they make my hair dry to fast for this) and then I comb my hair and put a towel on the couch and lay on my hair until it is dry. This leaves my hair without any wave as I sqwashed it out with my back.

This can take a while so I do this while taking a nap.

Julesn
August 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I say don't do it. As a hairdresser, I see people who do or have done this procedure & it is damaging & can be very damaging if it's not done properly. I vote no :)

Julie

Silky
August 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM
thank you Julie. I will definitely take your opinion into consideration.

Silky
August 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM
When I want to knock out the wave in my hair I condish it more and then after it is about half way dry (natural drying, no blow dryers or fans they make my hair dry to fast for this) and then I comb my hair and put a towel on the couch and lay on my hair until it is dry. This leaves my hair without any wave as I sqwashed it out with my back.

This can take a while so I do this while taking a nap.

Thank you for the wonderful tip. I will surely try this.:)

Silky
August 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM
thank you ladyshannonanne for your cool advice. I have dry hairs so i shampoo only once a week and i use laureth sulphate shampoo and rich moisturizing conditioner. But still that is not making much difference to my hair, could you suggest me any home-remedies to improve my hair texture? Waiting for your reply.

Silky
August 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Thank you for your wonderful tip Bene. But i have never heard SMT treatment before, could you please give me more detail about this treatment? Waiting for your reply.