PDA

View Full Version : Variation on a Wrapped Inside-Out Bun

Neoma
March 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I first made this bun while trying to follow someone's instructions for an Orchid Bun. I finally realized that I hadn't made an Orchid Bun. But what I'd made was really pretty, looks complicated, takes about 30 seconds to make and is uber-comfy.

First, the pics:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/nyneoma/wrapped1.jpg
As you can see, on the left side (this is a reverse image, since I shot it in a mirror), it looks like a Figure-8 Bun.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/nyneoma/wrappedotherside.jpg
On the right side, it looks like a more "conventional" bun.

All I did was start making a Nautilus Bun (a.k.a., Wrapped Inside-Out Bun). When I got towards the final steps, instead of twisting it a quarter turn to the right so it would be horizontal, I left it vertical. Then I simply flipped the wrapped loop over my hand (towards my finger tips). I held the bun securely, and opened up the top and bottom loops with my fingers. Then I inserted the hairstick (cocobolo from amadlife0) into the top loop, under the mound of hair in the middle and up out through the bottom loop. (Like a hairslide, only vertical.)

For those of you who don't already have the Nautilus Bun in your repetoire, my instructions will probably be useless. I am sorry. They will make sense when you can access the wonderful instructions for the Nautilus Bun from LHC's archives.

If you already know how to make a Nautilus Bun, please give this a try and let me know what you think. Post a pic.

OR Cowgirl
March 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Lovely! I'm sure I have the instructions for the Nautilus Bun around here somewhere..... *pawing thru paperwork*

Mariah

Neoma
March 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Lovely! I'm sure I have the instructions for the Nautilus Bun around here somewhere..... *pawing thru paperwork*

Mariah
Thank you, Mariah!

I had the pre-crash LHC instructions bookmarked.

I would take instructional pics, but I don't have a tripod. Hard to wrap hair and take pics at the same time... :silly:

SHADOWSCODE46
March 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
It looks so pretty! I find myself making odd new buns when I am messing up trying to make a legit one :D.

Neoma
March 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
It looks so pretty! I find myself making odd new buns when I am messing up trying to make a legit one :D.

Thank you, SHADOWSCODE. Is that "serenupdoity"?

SHADOWSCODE46
March 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you, SHADOWSCODE. Is that "serenupdoity"?

Ha ha, I like that!

I'm bumping this because this bun is so pretty. :D

Neoma
March 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Ha ha, I like that!

I'm bumping this because this bun is so pretty. :D
Thank you, SHADOWSCODE.

I've been wearing this bun around the apartment, but I wore it "out into the world" for the first time today. It was so comfy that I truly thought that it must be slipping apart, but it wasn't. It was still nice and secure at the end of the day.

Neoma
March 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
If there are no objections, I think I'll name this the Vertical Wrapped Bun. It's easier to type than Variation on a Wrapped Inside-Out Bun.

If you have any objections, speak now, or forever hold your peace. :silly: