PDA

View Full Version : Post your family\country hair tips or secrets? :)

lole18
January 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I think it'd be fun for everyone to pass a hair secret that's known in their culture\counrty\family that isn't very known :)
I'll start. Well i don't know if it's "known" but everyone in my family puts eggs and yogurt to their henna and oil it the second day :) it never worked for me "my hair hates henna and eggs" :)

jacqueline101
January 28th, 2013, 08:34 PM
My family years ago used rain water to wash their hair in. I'm the Monistat lady in my area maybe I can start a new tradition.

mzBANGBANG
January 29th, 2013, 05:36 AM
My family also did the rain water thing.

But their real secret is the perm! Lol

Kwantslonghair
January 29th, 2013, 05:40 AM
My grandma said people used to pull on their hair. To make it grow. Don't know if it worked. Grandma never had long hair. Although she didn't do the pull thing. Her hair was terminal at just above shoulder.

dollyfish
January 29th, 2013, 05:52 AM
My family is, and always has been, full of short-hairs. :(

The longest hair I've ever heard of in my family was when my mom grew out her hair in the 70s (of course), but she never got past MBL because she always wore it down and had no idea how to take care of it. lol.

lole18
January 29th, 2013, 06:02 AM
My family years ago used rain water to wash their hair in. I'm the Monistat lady in my area maybe I can start a new tradition.

Sounds like a nice tradition! Do you know what are the benefits of it? Too bad it rains twice a year where i live lol :o

lole18
January 29th, 2013, 06:03 AM
My family also did the rain water thing.

But their real secret is the perm! Lol

Have you ever tried it? :)

lole18
January 29th, 2013, 06:04 AM
My grandma said people used to pull on their hair. To make it grow. Don't know if it worked. Grandma never had long hair. Although she didn't do the pull thing. Her hair was terminal at just above shoulder.

I've heard of that too! that tight braids are good for hair growth because they pull the hair a little :)

EndlessSunshine
I have been doing vinegar rinse for shine most of my life.

lole18
My family is, and always has been, full of short-hairs. :(

The longest hair I've ever heard of in my family was when my mom grew out her hair in the 70s (of course), but she never got past MBL because she always wore it down and had no idea how to take care of it. lol.

Break the family rule grow your hair LONG lol :)

EndlessSunshine
January 29th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Also drinking sauerkraut juice. Eating lots of garlic.....it sounds like we are really smelly lol but sauerkraut is a fermented food and garlic is great for all sorts of stuff.

lole18
January 29th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I have been doing vinegar rinse for shine most of my life.

Acv vinegar or regular vinegar? how did it benefit you? :)

lole18
January 29th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Also drinking sauerkraut juice. Eating lots of garlic.....it sounds like we are really smelly lol but sauerkraut is a fermented food and garlic is great for all sorts of stuff.

that's a new one i never heard of sauerkraut juice for hair! I know garlic is good :)

EndlessSunshine
January 29th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I have apple cider vinegar diluted as a hair rinse for as long as I can remember.

chen bao jun
January 29th, 2013, 07:48 AM
My dad's side has long hair--or had, until this generation. Their 'secrets' were just LHC secrets though. Stretching washes (they had rainwater too), oiling, boar bristle brushing, up does or braids all the time.
This generation--the twenty years olds- forty years uses relaxers and the blow dryer and hair dye and suddenly the waist to classic length hair is all shoulder length, including on people who had hip length hair as children--and they have no idea why--
We only trimmed our hair once a year--on John the Baptist Day, which is the summer solstice (I forget the exact date. Like June 21st or something). My dad used to trim our hair and only dust the edges that one day. The belief was, that that day had some special significance--but I bet it was the fact that no one got haircuts at any other time--
Oh and being from Latin America lean protein was not lacking, rice beans and fish and chicken and corn. Nobody that I know of put coconut oil on their hair (that was for your skin) but we ATE lots of it, in everything...No one was much on vegetable, but we ate fruit all day and just about never ate sugar or sweets and drank teas and water constantly...
Grandma also gave everyone, male and female, a good boar bristle brushing every single day with her trusty Mason Pearson. We are curlies, sometimes wavies, but we got BBB'd anyway. By the time she was done, the curlies looked like wavies and the wavies looked straight, so I'm not sure I'd want to do that. But it was all going to be up and protected anyway, so I don't suppose it mattered.