PDA

View Full Version : I'm Getting a Pixie

dragonfly90
January 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I shaved my head around 5 months ago shudder: and it is finally the length of a short pixie. However, the back and sides look ridiculous. I have these massive sideburns and am starting to grow a little mullet. I go to a cheap place, so I'm worried they might take too much off. Any suggestions to make the process as painless as possible? I definitely want to grow my hair out, but it's too depressing the way it is now.

akilina
January 28th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Dont worry just because it is a "cheap place".

I was a #(%)@#(^ Amazing stylist that worked at a cheap place and always made people ecstatically over joyed. ;) Those "cheap" places make you go thru training, and really jam pack a perfect consultation into your head that always comes out successful. *assuming its a corporation like cheap place*

The consultation is the hugest part, so if they do it correctly you should not fear.

Something that you can do that might help you feel better is really ask them to show you exactly how much you asked them to take off.

Most importantly...Let them know that you are growing out your hair, and that it is really important to you. Also, that you are looking for a stylist that will give you exactly what you want that you can stick with thru your growing out/shaping up process *weather you are or not*. It will send across your seriousness.

Its really possible though if you just say "pixie" they will take it off your neck and up and over the ears. So if you don't want to lose all of that hair let them know that you want it covering your ears still (or not).

Even growing out the shaped up pixie will involve having a mullet at some point, just saying. But its probably easier to grow it out like that than how it is now.

HereIGrowAgain
January 28th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I would keep growing the top layers, and trim the back up to the hairline. If I had it to do over, I think I would have grown until it was all one length, keeping the back and sides trimmed short until the top length reached that spot, and then let that hair grow, if that makes sense. Basically, google for pixie beckham, then look at the images it pulls up, and you can see how she grow out her pixie. I would copy that.

As I did it, I had a mullet for a long time, and even now, when the back is somewhere around BSL, the sides are barely APL, and from the front my hair looks a lot shorter than it really is. The mullet was awful most of the time, but every once and while it would do something cute. I took pics on those days. ;)

browneyedsusan
January 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM
It will be fine. I'd suggest taking a picture of what you want it to look like in with you. Make sure the model in the picture has hair similar to yours. (I've always admired super-short pixies on curly-haired people. Those cute little baby-bangs and sassy look are darling; but a super-short pixie does not work with my hair. If it isn't long enough on top, it stands straight up like a brush! --Ask me how I know this.... ha ha ha!) I think you'll like it much better if you get it evened up. After 5 months, you probably have 2 or 3 inches of growth; almost enough for it to lay down on top, and if you get the sides and back thinned out a little, the top will catch up. Then you'll move into a different kind of ugly when that grows out, but you can keep getting "tail-ectomies" until it's bob length. --A lady at church grew her hair like that. She went from pixie to chin-length bob pretty smoothly. I went the ugly route because I wanted it long as fast as possible, so got one tail removal, and grew from there. I pinned up the front as soon as my bangs were poking my eyes, and kept them pinned up for a few months. As long as I kept the front pinned up, no one knew how ugly it was when it was down. Now that my bangs are down around my lips, I can wear it down and it is okay. When it grows more, it will be better. Yours will be better too. It takes time, but hair grows every day. It will look better pretty soon. :)

Tota
January 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM
In my humble salon experience those cheap places have some amazing hairstylists who are kind and ready to listen their clients' wishes more openly than "fancy" expensive ones. Just be ready to communicate, don't be afraid to share all your thoughts regarding your hairstyle with them and definitely bring some pictures with you. Good luck!

spidermom
January 28th, 2013, 01:23 PM
When I grew out my pixie, I went from short layers to longer layers and finally to no layers. My stylist always took a tiny bit more off the length than she did the layers.

hufflepug
January 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM
When I had a pixie, I got better cuts at the cheap mall place than at the fancy salon. The fancy salon people seemed to consider themselves artists... what I wanted didn't matter to them as much as what they wanted to do. I walked out with the Kate Gosselin hair crest a couple times. The cheap mall place listened to what I wanted and did it. At about 1/5th the price the fancy salon charged.

RavenBaby
January 28th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Is it possible to shave your sideburns with a razor and then clean shave it with a wet razor yourself? just so the sideburns aren't below the below ear area on the face. I know people who do that :P

jacqueline101
January 28th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I've never had a pixie I had a shag that was a pain the trimming of layers.

WaitingSoLong
January 29th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I have not so much found a difference in quality in the price of the place, but the busy-ness of it. The busier they are, the less they seem to care about the individual needs/desires...they just try to get them in and out for the next person in line.

The best haircuts I ever got were from Wal-Mart and a place around here called Fantastic Sam's. But Great Clips is terrible! So was Bo Rics. They are all "cheap" places but not all places are equal. If your cheap place is busy, try to go when they are least busy, you can ask and they will tell you their slow times!

dragonfly90
January 30th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the responses :) I was concerned about going to a cheap place because I had a bad experience twice at Great Clips (with the SAME woman!). I should have just left or asked for someone different. Anyway, I ended up just having my mom cut the mullet. The sideburns I can deal with.