PDA

View Full Version : My coconut oil is making my hair feel dry and brittle!

PorcelainHorror
January 27th, 2013, 11:28 PM
So I recently started using extra virgin organic coconut oil on my hair. It worked great for the first couple of days. I thought everything was great until my hair started feeling brittle and dry. Has anyone else experienced this? I was thinking the oil just solidified in my hair from the cold weather but I don't know.
Thank you :)

Natalia
January 28th, 2013, 12:17 AM
My hair doesnt agree with all coconut oils maybe your hair is the same? I gave up on evco for a while but couldnt resist the scent of monoi oil and suprisingly my hair loves that! I tried going back to ecvo nope so gardenia monoi it is for me. Or maybe your hair doesnt like coconut period. Experimentation is the only way to know, did you have anything else in your hair at the time? Do you use cones? Whats your wash method? they all effect it

AnqeIicDemise
January 28th, 2013, 12:27 AM
So I recently started using extra virgin organic coconut oil on my hair. It worked great for the first couple of days. I thought everything was great until my hair started feeling brittle and dry. Has anyone else experienced this? I was thinking the oil just solidified in my hair from the cold weather but I don't know.

It sounds like protein build up. Clarify and only use it once or twice a week not every day.

I can't use coconut oil on my hair every day either or it gets dry and stretchy. I have to clarify, deep condition and only use coconut oil no more than 2xs a week. I use mostly mineral oil on my ends now for that reason.

ravenreed
January 28th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I only very rarely use coconut oil for the same reason. I would switch to another oil.

MonaMayfair
January 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM
ALL oils (I've experimented with every one you could name) make my hair feel dry and brittle, they're not for everyone!

cindy58
January 28th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Yup -- try clarifying and you'll be back to normal.

Fethenwen
January 28th, 2013, 09:08 AM
This happens to me when I use coconut oil too many times in a row, I get build up from it. Also I cannot use coconut oil during winter, not on my ends at least but just a little bit on my scalp to keep it healthy.

chen bao jun
January 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Coconut oil has protein. Your hair may react to protein. Try olive oil for a pre-treatment and try avocado oil if you're putting it on dry hair, both of those also are oils that penetrate hair shaft. Of course olive oil smells like olive oil (which is why I said pre-treatment, the smell will wash out).

akilina
January 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Wow this is really interesting to me..Thanks for Posting the question OP!! :o

I am going to clarify today...I noticed my last two inches of hair are really dry this week..and the only thing I have changed is coconut oil.

Shebelina
January 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I can't use coconut oil at all, my hair just doesn't like it. My ends became very dry and brittle with every kind I used. In the end I switched mineral oil, only because I had it in the house, and my hair has never been better.

Long_hair_bear
January 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM
As others have said, try clarifying then only using it once a week. Also, are you using it as a prewash or after wash oil? I use it as a prewash treatment once a week and my hair loves it. :)

Ravenwind
January 28th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Maybe you're using it too much? I only sometimes put coconut oil in my hair for treatments or as a leave-in after a shower, and I've had no problems.

Paraply
August 23rd, 2013, 06:53 AM
Coconut oil is one of the best working oils for my hair, but occasionally it dries out my hair ends. For that reason I switched today to my good ol' jojoba-babassu-macadamia-argan oil mix :) For some people coconut doesn't give any bad results, for some it dries out the hair. Now I try to use coconut oil only as a deep treatment before shampoo a couple times a month...

Firefox7275
August 23rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Coconut oil is great for penetrating porous or damaged hair, but like many other ingredients it can be overused and can be a disaster for those with low porosity hair. There are not too many haircare ingredients we use straight up and expect wondrous results.

AuburnButterfly
August 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Coconut oil does the same thing to my hair. People talk about clarifying first, but coconut oil seems to strip my hair of whatever is in it. Once I got a professional keratin treatment, and a few weeks later I did a coconut oil treatment. It ruined the keratin treatment. It "clarified" it right out of my hair.

Vrindi
August 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM

This will happen to me after a while. I usually use coconut oil every day with no problems, but when this happens, I switch to almond oil for a week or so. Fixes the problem. It's not just solidified oil, it's a protein build-up. You just have to switch things up when that happens.

WilfredAllen
August 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
with coconut oil it could be three issues:
1. The oil solidifying if the temperature is too low
2. build-up (most oils will cause build up, in my experience)
3. too much protein sealed into the hair shaft (say, if your shampoo or conditioner has protein, and then you go and put coconut oil on it. I think coconut oil is the only oil that does this, but I'm not sure)

prettyinpink
August 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
It makes my hair shed

Sharysa
August 23rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Might be protein overload, or that coconut oil is just too heavy for your hair. My hair got really crunchy and brittle when I tried it for a couple of weeks (not every day, but every other day before a shower). After I gave my hair a break, I switched to sweet almond oil and now my hair feels great.

Leeloo
August 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
I notice that it works better if used about twice a week. Do you apply it on dry hair? I noticed it doesn't just sit on your hair if you use it on dry hair.

Flaxen
August 23rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
It's possibly oil build-up, but it is not protein build-up. Coconut oil, like all oils, is 100% fat. It contains no protein And yes, I just checked with two different jars of coconut oil to clarify (pun alert!)...er, confirm this. Cans of coconut milk, on the other hand, do have some protein in addition to the fat.

I found that coconut oil gave me the crunchies when I tried to use it on hair that had been lightened. It helped some to mix the coconut oil with shea butter, but I didn't have success with coconut oil alone until all the chemically treated hair had been trimmed off. If your hair is untreated and you still want to try coconut oil, you might have luck with the refined type instead of the virgin. Or Monoi oil. Or one of the Indian oils that have been infused with herbs, like Vatika or brahmi oil.

Of course, coconut oil may not be the one for you. I'd suggest almond oil or sunflower oil next. Ooh, what about jojoba? If none of them work for you, and you want something for a pre-wash treatment, you can use a tablespoon of conditioner on your dry canopy and ends just before you get in the shower, a la George Michael.

Wishing you success! :grin:

grungy haze
August 23rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Coconut oil has a tendency to do that, some people say it has to do with the fact that it prevents protein loss. I use it daily on my bleached out hair, and I find it doesn't give me the crunchies at all when I put on my hair while it's still wet. Of course, there are many others oils you could use, which could be the easiest solution. Jojoba is another one that I'm quite fond of, although you have to be very sparing with it. Even on my dry, chemically damaged hair, it can make me look like a grease slick if I use too much, it sits on top of the hair and seals in moisture like natural sebum. Coconut oil is better about not looking greasy, as it absorbs into your hair.

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
I agree it's protein build up clarify and try it at a later time when you're not using protein in your other products.

Flaxen
August 23rd, 2013, 04:58 PM
On coconut oil preventing protein loss, the protein that is being referred to is the keratin that hair is made out of. It has nothing to do with protein in products. Most protein loss comes from harshly combing or brushing wet hair - the protein is literally scraped off. The study tested two oils, coconut and sunflower oil, and it found that coconut oil was superior to sunflower oil as a pre-wash treatment in preventing the degradation of hair's natural protein. As far as I know, there has been no study to determine anything about coconut oil's effects on protein in products. My guess is it would not be much since that protein is not bonded to the hair and probably washes out quickly; hence the need to do repeat protein treatments.

Anyway, that's the coconut oil/protein story. The more you know...*rainbows and glitter* :lol:

lunalocks
August 23rd, 2013, 06:23 PM
This happens to me. My hair does not do well with coconut oil or shampoo or conditioner. Wash with a clarifying conditioner and the shampoo with a clarifying shampoo and that will get it out.