PDA

View Full Version : Cassia treatment for shinier hair! (Pics)

10000days
January 27th, 2013, 08:00 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/nicole10000days/Cassiabeforeandafter_zps38fe3189.jpg Hello everyone! Just thought I'd share before (left) and after (right) pictures of my hair following a cassia treatment. I'm a bleached blonde (ooohhh.. don't taboo me :rolleyes: ) at BSL or a tiny bit longer. I mixed out 10T (T=tablespoon) cassia with chamomile tea and let it sit for 40 mins. Then I added 1T honey and spread it over dry hair. Left it on for about 50 minutes from the moment I first applied it, rinsed, then used my usual conditioner. Outcome= my hair is SO much shinier! Not silkier though- it's not softer to the touch; it's about the same as usual. Also, a note to all the light blondes who are terrified of using cassia: it did NOT make my hair yellower- the 'after' photo was taken with the sunlight coming through the window so that's why it looks warmer. Anyway- I plan to keep this up; maybe do it once a fortnight. :)

spirals
January 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM
It's gorgeous. And even if it did make it warmer, a warm blonde is beautiful.

maborosi
January 27th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Very, very pretty! I'm about to do a cassia treatment for thickness/shinier hair. :D I love cassia!

~maborosi~

Kwantslonghair
January 28th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Oh my. I want that hair. I can't find a place to buy it local. I am not allowed to buy it off line. Hmm maybe a friend of mine would order it for me and I could give her cash. Now that's an idea!

Louise148
January 28th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I have some cassia ordered and on it's way. After seeing your I can't wait now. I'm also hoping for the thickening effects as well. :thumbsup:

10000days
January 28th, 2013, 06:01 AM
It's gorgeous. And even if it did make it warmer, a warm blonde is beautiful.
Thank you! I agree- I love blonde hair that's on the golden end of the spectrum rather than the ashy-white end. I'll have ashy-white when I'm greying, thanks!

Very, very pretty! I'm about to do a cassia treatment for thickness/shinier hair. :D I love cassia!
Thanks! I feel like cassia is one of those things that we all read a lot about on LHC, yet don't fully appreciate what it can do for our hair until we give it a go. I love it too! :)

Oh my. I want that hair. I can't find a place to buy it local. I am not allowed to buy it off line. Hmm maybe a friend of mine would order it for me and I could give her cash. Now that's an idea!
Aww thank you! Hmm... Are you sure it isn't sold next to the henna products that are available? It might be hiding there somewhere. But then, I assume you've neurotically read the ingredients of anything with the word 'henna' in it! :)

I have some cassia ordered and on it's way. After seeing your I can't wait now. I'm also hoping for the thickening effects as well.
Yay! Good luck! I find that it boofs up my hair (and I also perceive it to 'strengthen' individual strands...whatever that's really supposed to mean). So make sure you condition well afterwards!

Louise148
January 28th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Yay! Good luck! I find that it boofs up my hair (and I also perceive it to 'strengthen' individual strands...whatever that's really supposed to mean). So make sure you condition well afterwards!

I was planning on washing it out with keracare Avlon sulfate free shampoo which is my fave shampoo, then a DT for a couple of hours. Does that sound an OK routine for cassia?

rock007junkie
January 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM
It looks very shiny! That's one of the reasons I love cassia.

schweedie
January 28th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Your hair looks terrific! And also, thank you - this post reminded me that I haven't done a cassia treatment since September, which could be why my hair feels so blah. My hair loves cassia, too. From what I've gathered not everyone's hair reacts the same, but if your hair likes it it's really one of the best treatments there is!

I find that it boofs up my hair (and I also perceive it to 'strengthen' individual strands...whatever that's really supposed to mean). So make sure you condition well afterwards!
That's my experience, too. I don't know that it really got any thicker, but the individual strands did feel heftier somehow.

Oksana
January 28th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I would love to try cassia but my hair is so light, i'm thinking it would stain it :(

monika
January 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Beautiful!!!
I tried cassia for the first time today. My hair is drying now. I let it sit for 30 min to develop and than 30 min on my hair. I was scared of yellow coloring. I think I will try it longer next time.
I also applied it on dry hair. Most of the recipes say to apply to wet hair. I wonder what is the difference?

10000days
January 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I was planning on washing it out with keracare Avlon sulfate free shampoo which is my fave shampoo, then a DT for a couple of hours. Does that sound an OK routine for cassia?

DT post-cassia sounds great! But maybe you'd like to see the effects of cassia on your hair without a DT first? That way you'll know for sure what the effects of cassia are on your hair and won't be questioning whether it was the DT that actually helped. That way you'll be able to figure out the best routine for the future. I did this and it has helped me put together a logical and 'best' system for cassia-ing.
Also, I don't normally use shampoo but to get all of the green cassia gunk out of my hair I condition twice (leaving the second conditioning on for a few mins to lubricate any remaining cassia). But if you normally shampoo then I'm sure that's fine. :)

10000days
January 28th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Your hair looks terrific! And also, thank you - this post reminded me that I haven't done a cassia treatment since September, which could be why my hair feels so blah. My hair loves cassia, too. From what I've gathered not everyone's hair reacts the same, but if your hair likes it it's really one of the best treatments there is!
That's my experience, too. I don't know that it really got any thicker, but the individual strands did feel heftier somehow.

Thank you so much! Cassia is funny that way- looks shiny but doesn't feel 'shiny'. So weird... But I'm not complaining!

I would love to try cassia but my hair is so light, i'm thinking it would stain it :(

What level is your hair? Are you a 10 (lightest of blonde) and very porous (so bleached to the max)? My hair used to be a 9-10 and very porous, yet I still used cassia with no obvious yellowing. My suggestion is- try it once, don't let it stand for too long because I read that that's when the dye molecules are released, keep it in your hair for under and hour; that way you should be fine. From experience, keeping it in my hair for less than an hour doesn't stain; I think it's the overnight treatment (which is not recommended often on LHC anyway) may contribute to staining. IN ANY CASE, even if it does stain, I'm pretty sure it is temporary.

10000days
January 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Beautiful!!!
I tried cassia for the first time today. My hair is drying now. I let it sit for 30 min to develop and than 30 min on my hair. I was scared of yellow coloring. I think I will try it longer next time.
I also applied it on dry hair. Most of the recipes say to apply to wet hair. I wonder what is the difference?

Awesome! Yep yep- I was cautious too when I started with cassia (stressing about 30 minutes maximum...then noticing no colour difference....taking it to 40 mins...no colour difference... then to simply not caring at all and just keeping it under an hour haha).

Hmm yes I've tested cassia applications on wet and dry hair. When I did a wet hair application, it seemed to me like the cassia did nothing. That may just have been a random variation that I can't explain, but I'd rather not waste my money so I always do it on dry hair now. It also doesn't drip down your neck (or all over the bathroom if you can be careful) when applied on dry hair which is SO much better! I got the idea for a dry hair application from a LHC bleached blonde who has beautiful hair (can't remember the username right now), so maybe jump onto our bandwagon and go dry! :)

Louise148
January 30th, 2013, 02:36 AM
DT post-cassia sounds great! But maybe you'd like to see the effects of cassia on your hair without a DT first? That way you'll know for sure what the effects of cassia are on your hair and won't be questioning whether it was the DT that actually helped. That way you'll be able to figure out the best routine for the future. I did this and it has helped me put together a logical and 'best' system for cassia-ing.
Also, I don't normally use shampoo but to get all of the green cassia gunk out of my hair I condition twice (leaving the second conditioning on for a few mins to lubricate any remaining cassia). But if you normally shampoo then I'm sure that's fine. :)

Well my cassia arrived super quick from Henna Boy here in the UK. I gave it a whirl last night but to be honest I don't think it's done anything at all for my hair. Nothing bad but nothing good either, my hair feels exactly the same.

I mixed it with some luke warm water into a paste and I have to say the cassia I got seemed very fine and mixed nicely, not grainy at all, so I had high hopes for it. I left it on for almost an hour and then CO'd it out. It rinsed out pretty easy, but that is one of the plus's of having very fine hair, rinsing is a doddle. Then I put a small amount of my usual non-cone leave in (Giavanni) conditioner and let it air dry. It feels no different to usual.

There was, thankfully, no colour change but also no noticiable conditioning or thickening and no added shine. :( Do you think I did something wrong? Should I have left it on longer maybe? Or is my hair just immune to it?

schweedie
January 30th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Well my cassia arrived super quick from Henna Boy here in the UK. I gave it a whirl last night but to be honest I don't think it's done anything at all for my hair. Nothing bad but nothing good either, my hair feels exactly the same.

I mixed it with some luke warm water into a paste and I have to say the cassia I got seemed very fine and mixed nicely, not grainy at all, so I had high hopes for it. I left it on for almost an hour and then CO'd it out. It rinsed out pretty easy, but that is one of the plus's of having very fine hair, rinsing is a doddle. Then I put a small amount of my usual non-cone leave in (Giavanni) conditioner and let it air dry. It feels no different to usual.

There was, thankfully, no colour change but also no noticiable conditioning or thickening and no added shine. :( Do you think I did something wrong? Should I have left it on longer maybe? Or is my hair just immune to it?
The effects of cassia build up over time, from what I've learnt, so it's possible that it'll just take a couple more treatments to notice the change. If you have more left, I'd recommend trying it again and see if it feels different. :) Of course, it could also be that your hair simply doesn't care for cassia - not everyone's hair does.

MonaMayfair
January 30th, 2013, 05:55 AM

Cassia made my hair feel thicker (as in "volumized, it didn't make the STRANDS feel thicker the way henna did) from the first use but it's never made my hair look at all shiny, quite the reverse! It makes it feel rougher, henna did the same on my hair.
I don't use cassia often now, but when I do, I use it for the color, and to make my hair "bigger" (the effects of the volume only last for about a week on my hair)
Everyone responds so differently though...

MonaMayfair
January 30th, 2013, 06:01 AM

Louise, I just replied to this thread, then realized I said all the same stuff on your other thread, sorry! :)

Louise148
January 30th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Louise, I just replied to this thread, then realized I said all the same stuff on your other thread, sorry! :)

LOl! It's Ok I'm kinda thread hopping too. I have enough for about another three applications so I am going to try again and see if it builds up as Schweediehas said it may. If not though I guess I'll just have to assume my hair doesn't seem to have an opinion on cassia.

On a completely different subject (sort of) I also got some Camellia oil and my hair seems to love that...YAY!

MonaMayfair
January 30th, 2013, 06:45 AM
LOl! It's Ok I'm kinda thread hopping too. I have enough for about another three applications so I am going to try again and see if it builds up as Schweediehas said it may. If not though I guess I'll just have to assume my hair doesn't seem to have an opinion on cassia.

On a completely different subject (sort of) I also got some Camellia oil and my hair seems to love that...YAY!

See, that's a good example of never knowing what your hair will like until you try! My hair hates oils (I've tried them all, lol) Glad it's worked for you! :)

Angela_Rose
January 30th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Oh, how pretty! Thank you for sharing.

SugarPlumDreams
January 30th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Beautiful! Makes me want to try!

Stagecoach
January 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM
What lovely hair! And the shine is to die for! I've had the same results from Cassia myself. Not exactly fantastic conditioning but amazing shine.

10000days
January 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM

No conditioning, I would say, is normal. Cassia just gives me volume and shine. Did you take before-and-after photos? I think you may not quite see the effect that cassia has had on your hair if you're just looking into a mirror. If I hadn't taken the photos that are at the start of this thread, I would have complained that the cassia made my hair coarse and dry with no special effects at all...!

Louise148
January 31st, 2013, 01:50 AM
No conditioning, I would say, is normal. Cassia just gives me volume and shine. Did you take before-and-after photos? I think you may not quite see the effect that cassia has had on your hair if you're just looking into a mirror. If I hadn't taken the photos that are at the start of this thread, I would have complained that the cassia made my hair coarse and dry with no special effects at all...!

I didn't think to take any photos but I'll try and remember next time. I am going to give it a few more goes before I decide and see if I experience the build up effect mentioned by people. However I don't think a photo would have shown me anything more than I could tell. My hair, felt and looked exactly the same as normal, baby fine and limp. So I not only got no extra shine but no coarse or dry feeling either. Just nothing :confused: Oh well I may just have to accept that cassia just doesn't do it for my hair.

MaryO
January 31st, 2013, 05:21 AM
Ooooh, nice shine and magical fairy tale ends! :magic:

minxe
January 31st, 2013, 05:22 AM
That's crazy! I want to try :)

monika
January 31st, 2013, 07:08 AM
I wonder what does "DT" stands for. TIA.

Louise148
January 31st, 2013, 07:16 AM
I wonder what does "DT" stands for. TIA.

DT is deep treatment. :)

10000days
February 1st, 2013, 01:46 AM
Ooooh, nice shine and magical fairy tale ends! :magic:

Hehe thanks!! :)

That's crazy! I want to try :)

Do it for sure! :) Good luck!

10000days
February 1st, 2013, 01:50 AM
double post

schweedie
February 6th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I did got my cassia last week and did a treatment this weekend, and now I've been reminded of a nice side effect - besides the slip I get, cassia has always seemed to make me shed less! Perhaps my neglecting to use it for the past few months is why my hair has thinned out recently. Won't be making that mistake again. 10000days, have you experienced less shedding since your treatment, too?

wendylai
February 6th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Amaze results! Your hair looks incredible.. I have never done cassia, have considered though (and do) this was literally enlightening :)

Has anyone dyed / bleached on top of cassiated hair?

10000days
February 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
10000days, have you experienced less shedding since your treatment, too?

I don't think I can answer that accurately because I rarely do cassia treatments. I hope I've had less shedding though! :)

Amaze results! Your hair looks incredible.. I have never done cassia, have considered though (and do) this was literally enlightening :)

Has anyone dyed / bleached on top of cassiated hair?

Thank you! :)
And yes I have dyed and bleached my hair after using cassia (not on top of the mud obviously...). It seems to me like the cassia is completely inert- doesn't react with anything; so if you're planning to dye/bleach just before or after a treatment you should be safe! A lot of LHCers have said the same thing.